Japan - Kyoto - Does anyone have any favorite places to eat

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Travelman, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone was going to Kyoto, do you have any tips related to eating? favorite places to eat? etc

2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, there are so many terrific places to eat in the Kyoto area, that I don't know where to start! Where will you be staying? What kinds of Japanese food do you like? How adventuresome are you? Are you willing to travel a little for your eating adventures?

To start in the immediate vicinity of the JR Kyoto Station, there are a large number of restaurants in the underground shopping area "Porta", just north of the station. You can find some good noodles there.

For one of my easy-to-reach favorites, if you cross the street from the north side of the JR Station (see map below) and head for the gold star, there is a very good restaurant in the second basement of the high rise building indicated. They can dig out an English language menu if you ask, but the regular menu has photographs, so it's probably equally helpful. Not only is the food good, it is reasonably priced.

Kyoto North of JR Station.JPG

Travelman likes this.
  3. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aloha Hilslands,

Thanks for the tip above. Oct-2010, we were in an apartment between Gojo & Shijo-dori, east of the river.
    We mainly bought sushi in the basement of the department stores during the last couple minutes of their opening hours to cut costs.

However, we liked Kyoto alot. So I thought what better place to start to gather good information regarding possible places to eat for whenever we return.

Mahalo nui loa / Arigato gozaimasu for your sharing your thoughts above.

4. qtpinoy54
    Original Member

qtpinoy54 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite places in Kyoto is called Cafe Star. It's near the KFC in one of the shopping alleys in the Shijo-Kawaramachi area. It's not authentic Japanese food, but I'm a sucker for some omu-rice katsu and curry.The price is pretty good too!

There's also some pretty good places to eat at Kyoto Station. Take the elevators to the restaurants floor and there's plenty to choose from.

PA223380.jpg

Travelman likes this.
  5. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilslands, we stayed East of the river between Go-jo and Shi-jo streets ... and i would probably stay in that area next time also ... like sushi, sukiyaki, tempura ... haven't tried noodles .... my spouse LOVES shrimp ... dont mind traveling[​IMG]

6. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    what's your budget? i've got to this place where i got out 10K Yen lighter, with the drunkest night i had and a properly done kobe(not kobe but i forgot the name) beef. the rest of the meal was pretty japanese western (corn soup +tiny salad), but the host/owner/chef was properly courteous.

Was it cheap? no. but my friend, myself, and the other 2 person we talked to in the shop was really happy as we got out.

Travelman likes this.
  7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you'd like to try noodles in a unique and exciting environment, I suggest you venture up to Kibune in the mountains above Kyoto. There are a number of restaurants alongside the river and they've built dining platforms over it so you can enjoy the canopy of trees, the small waterfalls, and the sound of the stream. There are some noodle restaurants that send your meal out to you via a bamboo trough streaming with spring water. You have to be quick and agile with the chopsticks, however, because once the noodles float by you, they are gone forever. Of course, if you don't want noodles, there are other things on the menu and the setting is worth the trip alone.

To get to Kibune, use the Eizan Railway, departing from Demachiyanagi Station. Travel for 27 minutes to the Kibune-guchi station. From the little station walk along the road (to the left of the station) toward the town, about 20 minutes. It's a beautiful walk! You'll be able to choose from about a dozen different restaurants.

Travelman likes this.
  8. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilslands, Domo arigato gozaimasu!
    Is this the town where one can walk over the mountain to?
    And do the platforms close sometime in Sep?
    When we arrived in Kyoto a couple of months ago at the very end of Sep, the platforms were already closed on the kamogawa

Once again, thanks !
    We had considered this area as a day trip lst time but ran out of time[​IMG]

9. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and Yes! You can take the trains up to Kurama, climb up to see the temple on Mt. Kurama and then hike over the mountains to Kibune. It's a pleasant loop route. And yes, if you go in Autumn, you'll find the platforms taken up for the winter ahead. There are still restaurants open however.

There is also a small but pleasant onsen in Kurama with outdoor baths. If you are there in the fall you can soak in the pools and look at the brilliant red maples against the deep blue mountain sky. Another form of nourishment!

Travelman likes this.
  10. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    So for a non-Japanese speaker/reader I guess it might be better for us to buy a roundtrip ticket before departing Demachiyanagi Station in Northeast Kyoto ... hopefully, Kibune and Kurama would be in the same cost zone since they are so close to each other.

Once again, mahalo nui loa!

11. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    [Temporarily off-Topic] Hilslands, besides the thread re Little Village Noodle House in HNL are you aware of any other threads re favorite restaurants on Oahu or Kauai?

12. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, but you should start one! I will happily contribute.