JAL Award?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYC_Gal, Sep 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for 2 F / J awards coming Jan from HKG to US. CX has 0 award. ORD used to be wide open, but looks like they close everything after Dec 29. Even YYZ is 0. I don't see anything on JAL either. I know it'll be tough given short amount of time. So far I can't find anything.

Does JAL release award later? Is there particular route that's slightly easier? Any other suggestion (other than AA's own award)?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have you looked on CX through the other NA gateways? Or how about using CX to get to another city in Asia and taking AA back (DEL? PEK? PVG?)?

How close to the holidays are you looking at getting tickets?

I've head people say that JL holds award space (especially in premium cabins) till much closer to the travel date, but that's been disputed by others.

From personal experience I can tell you that as someone who is half Japanese and loves JL, I've never been able to secure award space on JL when I've used my AA miles despite trying fairly aggressively. I might just have bad luck though. :)

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  3. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got JAL F (NRT-ORD) about two weeks out, but this was summer time, not near a major holiday. One small datapoint.. :)