J reality check

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by k_malm, Apr 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last August, I booked for my husband and I a trip I had been planning/dreaming about for quite some time. We were going to go Bali via CX on F for the trans-pac and J from HKG-DPS-HKG. We are flying out of YVR as it is the closest with connections from my airport (BOI). The trip is in May. I have all of our hotels booked and everything was smooth sailing, so I thought.

Before the next part, I will say, I know my life is good. If this is the worst thing that happens to me this year, I will chalk it up as an excellent year. With that being said ....

On Thursday, I get an email from AA (what miles I used to book trip) that there was a schedule change. I noticed no changes to the flight times, but I did notice we no longer were in F, but now J, on both directions of the trans-pac. Come to find out, they have swapped the planes for both directions out of Vancouver to a two-class cabin.

I am going to try to re-route us. I was out of town with family, so I couldn't be on the phone for the length of time needed to try to get this done. I did some quick searching and wasn't able to find any F space, so I am not too hopeful. I won't stop trying until we leave though.

We are taking our 9 month old daughter with us and I know this is one of our last international F trips in a long time as we have family expansion plans in the works. And it seems that we might not be in F now, and in J.

So all of you wonderful people, please remind me that CX J is also wonderful and to get over it if that is our fate in a kind way. My husband has been great about it and is trying to get that through to me, but deep down, I am terribly disappointed.

Mike Reed and edekba like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think your reaction is very reasonable under the circumstances. Hope you have an awesome time in Bali, to offset this little disappointment. :cool:

Mike Reed and k_malm like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked Seatguru to find out about the type of plane that CX uses for its 2-cabin int'l flights and it's an A330-300** with 25 rows of 3 lie-flat seats. Rows 22-25 are separated from rows 1-21 by a galley, lavatory and exit doors so that if you would rather have a less populated J, you could select seats in rows 22-25 if they are still available. This being CX, I am sure that the service will be First-class quality. In short, I think that I am with your husband on this. You should just keep your eyes on the ball, which is Bali (my destination later this year)! I fly every year for holidays in Asia, and I have gotten there in F only once. I usually fly on C and the difference seems minimal to me, well, maybe because I sleep most of the way...:)

** Correction: there are actually two 2-cabin configurations. I'd described an A330-300 rather than an A340-300, which is the other configuration that CX uses for int'l routes.

Mike Reed, k_malm and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do hope AA "refunded" you some of the miles ...

k_malm likes this.
  5. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    They will be. I was on hold for 45 minutes and the other desk hadn't picked up. They lady I was on the phone with said my miles will be credited back to me. I am also getting money back for the infant in arms fare.

NYCUA1K and edekba like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case ... I'm sure your time in J will be a first class experience. And good luck/have fun with the family expansion plans :)

k_malm and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly hope so:cool:

edekba likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having just flown cx F (sfo-hkg) and cx J (hkg-bkk) I can tell u that there is a HUGE difference in the seats. I am small but the J seats were very narrow (and lie flat doesn't matter much if you can't turn even to your side. I would encourage you to keep trying, even to the last minute - but with 2 F seats you might be out of luck as my flight was full and the FA said most of the planes (sfo-hkg) are full.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have read ... that CX opens up 2 seats ~72hr before departure...

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big guy and found the J (C) seats to be just fine, but this was on UA and usually on Boeing rather than Airbus crafts...;)

11. Candy C

Candy C Silver Member

Status Points:
    CX J can be hit and miss, more so on regional flights though I find. From a personal point of view I detest the herring bone formation, and it was that we had last year HKG - DPS.
    However, we are talking about public transport here and need to keep in perspective. Any flight in J is far, far, better than Y...Also, Bali is fab. We went diving out of the Gili Islands - out of this world.

Hope you have a great time.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the herringbone.

13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would route through SFO if you can to retain the J seats...

14. I have read ... that CX opens up 2 seats ~72hr before departure

15. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do love the J seat, and the special touches that CX added. It's not F, but is is very nice. Although it maybe narrow to some, it feels much less narrow than the DL J seats. US, BR (Eva) and AA (new 77W J) all use the same design of seat, with my favorite being CX (the AA seat is essentially identical to the CX seat), with the US and BR seat missing the storage door and a few small touches.