I've got a weird question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by michael21, Jul 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post something like this but I'm not sure where to put it...My wife and I have a trip to Rome and Venice in about a month that we won't be able to make...Business class both ways and nice hotels...instead of just canceling, if someone is going to Italy anyway, flying coach and staying at cost effective hotels, it would run close to $4500 for the week so we were wondering if there is some site or something where we can sell our trip to another couple?

Thanks...I know it's a bit odd but we just figure if we can't enjoy the trip, someone who wants to make the trip anyway, might as well make it in style.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline tickets and hotel reservations tend to be non-transferable.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol well that idea was short lived.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How did you pay for it? Miles for award tickets can usually be redeposited, perhaps for a fee. If you prepaid the hotel, perhaps you can negotiate a different date...

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it was miles so in the end we'll probably just get the miles redeposited for the $300 fee. As far as the hotels are concerned only two days of the trip was booked with nonrefundable rates. Are you saying I should called the hotel directly and ask them to move the dates to something else or even possibly cancel and get a refund? Is that possible?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you have future dates in mind, I'd definitely try. You have nothing to lose. I am currently staying at a hotel that previously waived the cancel-by time when I couldn't make it. They've earned my loyalty and got six nights instead of the one I got refunded.

7. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get something out of your hotel reservation. The following technique usually works-

If you find someone willing to use your reservation, add their name to your reservation as a third person staying with you. Also add a note in the reservation that he'd be arriving separately and should be allowed to check in. Send an email to that person, copying the hotel etc., spelling out the arrangement and giving your phone # in case anyone has any questions. All of that raises comfort level. Then they can check in and pay with their cc (if prepaid, they can compensate you privately and discreetly).

One point to remember, your posture has to be that you'll arrive separately and late, not that you are canceling. :)

8. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not think it is a wierd question. But, a very good one.

9. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Thought came to mind because I was very pleased with our bookings: business in Lufthansa and Swiss, the Hotel excelsior in Rome, the Boscolo Venezia in Venice...oh well, Italy will be there when we can go sometime in the future.