iTunes is Gone From the Airlines' Shopping Pages

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by KenInEscazu, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK folks... I'm kind of feeling like my dog died. I live in Costa Rica, soon to be moving to Colombia. The easiest, most convenient and coolest way to watch American television shows is with iTunes. It also helps keep my AAdvantage account alive, as I have a bunch of AA miles, but refuse to spend any more money with them. (I know... Nothing against you AA fans. We all have our pet issue airline/hotel/RAC.)

Tonight I was looking to renew some regular series and check out some new ones, but iTunes is now missing from the menus of both AA and UA. I haven't looked at any others, as I can take a hint.

What a drag! I have Apple TV, and I love it, but I need my miles for my shows. Now I'm going to have to either do without the miles (and they add up when living abroad), or go back to DVDs. All the networks block my access because of my IP, so iTunes was it. I think I'm going to cry. :(

2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy iTunes cards with mileage earning cards.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use a proxy so you can stream shows?

KenInEscazu and tomsam like this.
  4. tomsam

tomsam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ken, if you're ethically ok with it you can look at an VPN provider who re-directs your IP to make it look like you're inside the US (you can even select the specific city/state if you want). Look up hidemyass.com. I spend a lot of time outside the US and we use HMA to view Netflix or US Networks. Once you have an HMA account, you can set it up on iPad's VPN option, and watch US Networks (I do with ABC, NBC, CBS) through the respective apps on your ipad. I don't know much about Apple TV, but assume if you can get it on your iPad, you can get it on Apple TV.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    VPN is the answer. Heck, I am able to watch US movies on Netflix or iTunes in China by connecting through my employer's VPN. It makes it seem as though I am in the US...

KenInEscazu likes this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea, but of course I was already paying for my iTunes with a mileage earning card, plus getting the miles from the airline's portal.

Thank you (and NYCUA1K) for what may be an excellent solution. I'll try it out today. As for being "ethically OK," of course I am. I am going to use it as intended just as if I were living back in Texas.

The networks and studios block foreign IPs in a failed attempt to block pirating. I can buy pirated DVDs for a buck or two any day of the week, but I have always refused to do so because I am ethically opposed to that practice. Buying pirated material is theft. There is no way to justify it if one is intellectually honest with themselves.

I'll report back on my success after setting up the VPN. :)

iolaire likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wrote to iTunes to tell them how disappointed I am. It was my intent to be a voice for us, and hopefully with enough negative comments to see the miles return. I just have to share their reply with you:

Dear KenInEscazu,

Welcome to iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is Amit and I am glad to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to download your purchases using the airport mode. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to you.

KenInEscazu, your request for assistance has reached iTunes Store Customer Support, which answers questions about billing, customer accounts, downloading purchases, and iTunes Store content. Although this team does not offer technical support for Apple TV, I'm happy to guide you to some Apple resources that should help.

You may find the following article helpful:

Apple TV: Basic Troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1551

You can get lots of useful information on our Apple TV support pages, which are packed with instructions to help you use Apple TV and resolve issues:

http://www.apple.com/support/appletv

In Apple's public discussion forums you can read questions and answers provided by experienced users. You can also post questions of your own. Click the Apple TV folder on the Apple Discussions webpage under Digital Life:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/appletv/appletv

You may also get advice, insight, and hands-on technical support at a local Apple Store (there may be a fee for the visit). Find the Apple Store nearest you and click the link to make a reservation at the Genius Bar:

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist

For this issue, you may need to call our AppleCare technical support team. A technical Advisor will be able to tell you about Apple's complimentary and fee-based support. The technical Advisor can also assist you in determining what option might be most helpful to you in this case. To find the appropriate phone number, please visit:

Contacting Apple for support and service

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Another option is to describe your issue on our website. After you have described the issue on our website, you can arrange for an Apple Advisor to call you. You can receive a phone call now or you can make an appointment to have an Apple Advisor call you at a more convenient time. To explore this option, please visit Express Lane:

https://expresslane.apple.com/

Certain Express Lane Support options are only free during your Apple hardware product's complimentary support period or with an AppleCare Protection Plan.

If I can provide additional help in finding the right Apple resource for you, or if you need assistance with your iTunes Store account, please reply to this message. I will be happy to help.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Amit

iTunes Store Customer Support

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.
    I wonder what his first language is. Oh brother... :confused:

8. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's violation of copyright. No relation to theft.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I write, perform and/or produce a song, book, audiobook, movie or television program and someone takes it without paying me for it, you may call it whatever you like. To me it is theft.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feel free to call it what you like. But if it goes to court, the charge won't be theft.

11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use VPN regularly to access my mac resources at home and also have access to other VPN servers when my mac resources at home freeze (happens !)

Try Hotspot Shield or Security Kiss app for your mac :) You can access hulu+ etc. Hope it helps. You can use OpenVPN based client called Tunnelblink and/or find a provider that bundles it in.

VPN is legit. Millions of road warriors use it regularly to access resources from their offices or Enterprise network.

gregm and KenInEscazu like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well. I call it piracy. Pirates aren't exactly better than thieves. Sometimes they even get shot by Navy Seals, I hear. :D

vickers and KenInEscazu like this.
  13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to check out a proxy server rather than a VPN. A VPN will work of course, but it's overkill. A proxy is cheap and low overhead. Sounds like you use a Mac? I use NetShade from raynersw.com for proxy. They have VPN too if you need it but proxy is cheaper.

One more thing: If you stream shows with your Apple TV and it's connected directly to a router or WiFi this isn't going to be easy since AppleTV does not support VPN and getting a proxy address in there is very difficult, though it can be done. If you just download onto your computer first and then have Apple TV pick it up from there you'll be fine.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not sure if you have an Ink Bold or other such card that pays bonuses on office supplies, but Staples and those folks carry iTunes cards. That would yield you more points than you earn from the portals now. Maybe bulk up when you're in the US?

KenInEscazu likes this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten some great advice here that I will certainly use, but this one is most within my comfort zone. I can buy the iTunes card through the airline's shopping portal, then us that iTunes card to keep doing what I've been doing. GREAT idea!

The other suggestions will give me some excellent viewing options when I'm at the office, too. I often work late, so I can just connect my TV to my iMac via Thunderbolt to HDMI and I can have a huge selection of things to watch while I work.

I love technology! I could not be living the current version of my life without it. So cool! :)

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Note that Ink Bold through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal could yield you up to 8X between the two bonuses.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  17. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    iTunes is gone from all the shopping portals as far as I can tell. It's been removed from the Ultimate Rewards shopping portal as well. I was disappointed to see this, and had noticed it early last week.

iTunes gift cards often go on sale at Best Buy sometimes as much as 20% off. I would buy them from the shopping portal link to Best Buy, load them onto my iTunes account, and then go through the shopping portal again to buy from iTunes. Wasn't lucrative, but an easy way to triple dip.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Chase United Club cardholder, but I don't know about Chase Ultimate Rewards. How do I find that? Is Ink Bold another Payment method?

Thanks! ~ Ken

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ink Bold is a different card issued by Chase. It earns points in the Ultimate Rewards (UR) program rather than in an airline program. UR is the Chase points scheme like Membership Rewards is to AmEx. Your Chase/United card is wholly unrelated to the UR program.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  20. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you have Apple TV there's no need to connect your iMac to your TV via HDMI. Your Apple TV can just grab it from your iMac.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What he said. If iTunes is off the UR portal, you would earn 5X for charging on Ink Bold or Ink Plus at an office supply store.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  22. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that my Apple TV is going to be at home, and my iMac is going to be at the office. I don't have a router quite that powerful. :D

23. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, ok, I thought they were the same places. Sounds like you have it all under control then!

oh, some TVs play video from a USB flash drive in case that's an option too.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know, too. I'm moving late next month, and I have sold all of my TVs to avoid the pain of any damage that might occur during the move. I'll be buying new ones in Colombia, so I will most certainly look for that feature. Thanks!

25. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crutchfield is now gone from the shopping portals also. That and iTunes were two of my top portal stores, and I used fairly frequently.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013