it's spring (break time) at MSP, parking is full

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm posting this reminder here because, since DL has a hub at MSP, a bunch of us in this forum have MSP as our home airport. We know this airport, so we aren't likely to routinely check the MSP area on MP.

I think it's happening a little earlier than usual this year, but the parking ramps at MSP are starting to be full at times when you would otherwise expect availability. I had to use valet parking (at $40 per day plus tips) because going to Humphrey and taking the light rail would have definitely made me miss the plane.

So, but sure to monitor the MSP parking real time website as your travel approaches, check as close as possible to the time you will attempt to enter the parking ramp, and allow lots of extra time. Consider using the light rail line, but remember that it's a long hike from the light rail station to check in counters, elite security or even the skyway security (if no checked luggage).

The airport itself didn't seem to be particularly crowded. I love the way the elite security is now exclusively for elites with no more merging with a nonelite line 1-1 at the document checker.

There's also some new guaranteed availability plan that's being promoted on the website, but it's expensive and the reserved spaces are not where I prefer to park. OTOH, maybe I should reconsider

My theory is that the problem is caused by kettles taking cheap spring break flights who then decide that they can spend the savings on long-duration airport parking. It's frustrating for those who prefer to drive to the airport for short trips and/or travel at unusual times, or who need to stop at the office on the way to/from the airport.

2. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Felt the pain yesterday. Was supposed to meet up with a friend for lunch at MSP and the short term lots were even full and they were sending people to Humphrey which I wasn't doing.

Ended up just picking her up at the curb instead.

Wish they'd do something like BOS does where you can pay more each day for the frequent parker program where it guarantees you a spot...I'd gladly pay a little bit more each time to have a guaranteed spot for the times like this where the kettles fill up the ramp.

3. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed this particularly on 3/7... I circled the long-term ramps for a bit, looking for a place to part. No regular space (or at least row/level) this week!

I'm really looking forward to the elite line checkpoint, though. It's usually a much smaller line when I go through.
    • Based on current travel, I'll hit gold in early May... Platinum in August. Roll the dice on Diamond, but I'm thinking I'll come a few thousand MQMs short.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like at least you were able to drive into the ramp and hunt. I think it's worse when they insist that you get back on the highway and drive to Humphrey Terminal to park. Despite the light rail line, it's a big hassle and takes lots more time. It's especially no fun when your return flight arrives late at night and you must dig the car out of the snow.

5. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. To me there's no difference in parking at Humphrey and parking at one of the offsite places in Bloomington. At least with the offsite places at night, there's a shuttle bus every 5 minutes and it drops me right at my car; with Humphrey you need to make a longish walk through the garage to your car after taking a train that might run every 15-20 minutes. Not to mention the cost savings; Humphrey's "value" parking at $14/day is a ripoff for Terminal 1 people.

ande777emt and Exiled in Express like this.
  6. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more reason I'm liking my move to MKE. Their "pricey" parking is less than MSP "value" parking. Their value lot is $5 and doesn't require a train ride. One reason my former abode was on the light rail line. It was great unless I had a late night arrival. Then miss ande777emt got to pick me up.

7. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - yeah, I didn't realize some folks had to go through that hassle. I'm feeling pretty fortunate right now.
    • Actually, that's real easy right now as I'm on vacation and took the car this time. All those Marriott points are coming in handy though [​IMG]

8. fti

fti Active Member

Status Points:
    I always use off-airport parking. AAA discount is $10/day and with a "frequent parker" card I get another 9% off (1 free day after 10 paid days). And as was said earlier, the off-airport shuttles come very often.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  9. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, I'd consider that - and cut down on expenses in the process... But I gotta be honest, I'm typically near the exit - whether upgraded or not, and typically come into/near G18... I can be at my car and driving away within 10 minutes of landing - easily driving before everyone is off the plane :cool:

10. fti

fti Active Member

Status Points:
    For me, an extra few minutes earlier on the road isn't worth the cost of parking at Terminal 1. But YMMV. Sometimes I park in a free parking deck that I am sure no one else does, since it is a pain to get to/from. But it is covered, lighted and free :)

Exiled in Express and DonV.Smith like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday when I tried to check the current parking status--I can never remember the website exactly and didn't want to click around on the general MSP website to find the real time availability--I googled something like "MSP parking realtime" and was amazed an thrilled (well, OK, an overstatement, but it made me smile) to see this thread come up just after the official MSP stuff and a couple sponsored pages. MP is growing up.

BTW, parking was easy. I got a good spot without searching in my favorite location. I think this means that spring break is officially over. Now the next thing to watch for will be the closing of levels to repaint the stripes after winter ends.

DonV.Smith likes this.
  12. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Living in PHX now, I am surprised and amazed at the differences between my old airport and the new one. Much cheaper parking (except for the short-term garages at the terminal, which are quite large) - the on-airport "remote" ramp (a 3 minute bus ride that runs every 3-4 minutes) is $9/day, with a large number of off-site places (I think there are 10-12 off-site companies here, versus the four in MSP).

One thing that alarmed me (that I heard at both Park N Go and Park N Fly) was that the MAC owned those land parcels and they had extended leases ending on them coming up soon (2012-2014 range?) and that they were probably going to make those land parcels hotels. With the acute parking problems already, it seems like if this is true that the situation could get worse in a few years (unless, which I wouldn't be shocked at, it's a ploy by the MAC to force more people into their own garages at inflated prices; it's bad enough that the MAC charges these off-site places a fee just to enter the airport, which is something that I have not seen at a lot of airports).