its it possible to upgrade with avios on Japan Airlines?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by fourspiralarms, Jul 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. fourspiralarms

fourspiralarms Active Member

I've looked through forums and searched the BA site and haven't been able to find an answer. Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to business class on JAL using british airways avios. I'm looking to book a flight from JFK to NRT in business and have more avios than anything. Would it be to do an AA award through JAL for 50k milesi?
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Don't believe so. My understanding is you can only use Avios to upgrade on BA metal.
  3. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

No, you can use your Avios to upgrade on BA, Iberia and American Airlines.

But note that there are other restrictions as well to upgrades, i.e. it needs to be booked on BA ticket stock, etc. And it can only be a 1 cabin upgrade: Economy to Premium Econ, or Premium Econ to Business or Business to First. You can't do Economy to Business or First etc.
    [For AA and IB, where the only cabins are Economy and Business without a premium economy inbetween, you can do it.]
    BIG NOTE: You can only upgrade from flexible economy ticket buckets (e.g. Y, B..), not from cheap economy.

Because of this, one of the best 'bang for buck' uses of Avios on longhaul is using them to upgrade form cheapish WorldTravellerPLUS (Premium Economy) to Club Wolrd. This is because it most transforms your flight experience and you are still earning from the underlying WTP ticket.

Do reasearch all requirments before booking somehting you want to upgrade. And if upgrading is important, do it in one booking (book and upgrade) and do it on the phone with BA if you need to, worth it if you would not want to travel on the underlying ticket if you can't upgrade.