It's back: LGA-DCA slot swap with US

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by samonyc, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'm not happy about this as DCA service is more important to me than LGA. I'd have to see the frequency or capacity of the MSP-DCA and vv route cut back. Moreover these planes seem to always be full with elites and passengers on expensive tickets. It's a tough upgrade.

3. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown US since Y2K, so I'm excited about more direct DL flights from LGA. But three terminals? Shades of JFK T2/3/4.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And years of construction inconvenience as they connect two of them.

5. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just think that JFK and LGA should be demolished and rebuilt completely.

6. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the financing for said project would come from...

KENNECTED and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Raise bag fees by $5. Should be paid off in 6 months ;)
    Or possibly a DL.com surcharge for everytime something doesn't work correctly. ($0.01 should cover it in about 3 months)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH, if there were even a big surcharge when things do work properly, like delta.dumb, they'd never be able to even pay to change the signage.

9. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    US giving up so many NYC slots for less than half as many at DCA plus cash must be about the cash although they seem underpriced. Swapping DL routes for short haul US routes isn't good for DCA. Certainly puts DL way up with a NYC hub. I'd call this a significant partial sell-off of US to DL on the cheap.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope neither of the following things happen:

US gets DL government contract routes

DL drops the evening MSP-DCA and especially DCA-MSP. It's nice to be able to relax after a meeting ends and maybe join some others for a drink before heading to the airport after rush hour for a dinner flight. For a while after 9-11, the last NW flights to either MSP or DTW left ridiculously early and it was always a big hassle to catch those flights.

11. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airlines, airport governments, donors, etc.

I would definitely donate some money for not having to go through (what presently is) JFK.

12. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    US just wants out. They say they can't make money at LGA, so why keep throwing money at it, if they think they can get something valuable in return?

This is probably the best deal they are going to get. CO/UA have EWR, so likely aren't that interested (and don't seem to really have many DCA slots to trade). AA doesn't really have anything to offer - their most valuable asset is their LHR slots, but that is sort of their only play in the TATL market, so they kind of have to double-down on it. And it doesn't seem like WN's style to get in a bidding war for slots. Who is left to bid? I think this is the best deal US could get.

13. judge advocate general

judge advocate general Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good for Delta! I wonder what's next on the US auction block...

14. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope this one goes through!

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's easy...private infrastructure funds! My fund, and many of our competitors' funds, have billions of dollars ready to go to invest in building new airports. My fund owns two airports (outside the United States), and they are consistently highly regarded/award winning from both carriers and pax.

Sadly, there is a general fear of private capital in infrastructure in the US...yet most people who are international travelers consistently feel overseas airports are much nicer than here in the US...that's because they are principally privately owned. Cdg is publicly listed!

Some of the concerns have to do with entrenched government and union labor at the airports. Indeed, when lawa was considering privatizing ont, one of their big concerns was what to do with their union staff.

There are some instances of private capital in airport terminals in the US. T4, 7 and 8 at JFK were built with private capital, and are considered by most to be the best terminals at JFK. 7 and 8 were built by their carriers on long term leases. T4 is owned under a long term lease by a new york based developer and has some European money in it as well.

The private operator of JFK t4, delta and PANYNJ have reached an agreement for the extension of the lease on t4, a significant expansion of t4, a bridge link to t2 and the demolition of t3 (expanding t4 into where t2 is at present ultimately). New financing has been raised. The money is all private, nothing from the PANYNJ. While DL pax will probably bemoan the coming 5 years+ of construction, the fruit at the end will be worth it. This is a rare example of the public authority being willing to work with private enterprises...and this project would not happen with out that.

Sadly, many, but not all, airports in the US are bastions of patronage jobs. This will be a large impediment to bringing private capital in.

There is a very easy solution to the state of our country's aviation infrastructure. We could break ground later this year if there was the political will to get something like this done. Our airports, particularly our international gateways, should be showplaces for the world. Sadly, places like vie will outshine lax for a long time to come.

We have the capital ready to go. Write to your local elected officials and airport administrators and, if you feel this way, let them know you support private capital to improve the local airfield.

TravelerRob and MSPeconomist like this.
  16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The LGA plan is decent actually, certainly in light of the spacial challenges. Terminals d (DL's) and c (US's) at LGA will be connected with a bridge on airside, with DL taking the east side of the terminal c for its flights. This will increase DL capacity by over 50% at LGA. A new SC will be built in terminal c as well.

The biggest challenge at JFK right now is the lack of airside connection to t4. That will be solved soon as the new $60mm bridge to t2 (going over/thru t3) gets built. I've met with the T4 ownership group a few times (I'd like to buy it!), and their plan makes a lot of sense (assuming you can't completely close the three terminals for 18 months).

Keeping the marine air terminal at lga is the right idea. One of the most attractive aspects of the DL shuttle over the us shuttle is that you're not co-mingled with the mainline pax at the dl shuttle terminal. It makes it much easier for the pax...essentially no one with luggage, rare is your gate taken by another plane, etc.

While having a separate terminal is a pain in the dupa for DL, shuttle is very profitable for DL, even in light of the incremental costs of the special terminal. Having the separate terminal is, overall, a big strategic advantage for DL shuttle.