It's 38750. Mean DL SM per-ticket redemption cost

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Nov 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the most recent DL email,which says "Redeem as few as 25,000 miles for round-trip Economy Class travel within the U.S. domestic 48 states, Alaska and Canada"....

248 billion miles were redeemed for 6.4 million tickets.

That's ~ 38,750 SM per ticket.

We don't know how many were international vs. domestic, nor whether that includes partial redemptions by Amex cardholders using SM for $ discounts.

What we need to know now is.... is this

*best in class*, or not?

2. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    could also include upgrade awards.

3. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    All things considered, especially the lowest reward being 25k and the highest possible approaching 1m (though certainly a distant outlier), 38k sounds impressively low for an average.

JosephMay likes this.
  4. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes, I admit I'm mildly surprised at this number. On the face of it, it's lower than I'd expected. But the lowest reward isn't 25k (anyway, those don't exist, remember). It could be 10k or less for Amex discounted tix, Pay With Miles, which would qualify as "redemptions" for accounting purpose. Or UG awards.

There's also the issue of balance. What proportion of those redemptions are international, vs. their competitor programs like OP/DM/AA? If int'l is so difficult to obtain on DL, for reasons we all know, then maybe that skews their proportions to domestic.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've actually been able to get several transcon 25k awards this past year...much to my surprise. Sadly, 32.5k has been more the norm for domestic awards...not terrible...not great either...I did manage to spend 295k miles this year on award tix...

6. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    yet again, all this person posts is negativity.

Deltalina likes this.
  7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't feed the trolls. Eventually they get bored and leave.

mersk862 and Deltalina like this.
  8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    brfort, so what if posting is what you call "negative." Maybe yours is unduly positive, you know, maybe you believe SM is best in class (without star marks). Who cares.

And USAF, how can it be "trolling" to analyze factually how many SM are required by DL per redemption? The analysis is based on DL's own data presented to all of us by email last night. It stretches your credibility to term that post a troll. Unless you think DL's corporate filings/emails are also "trolling" or that SM as a whole is a "troll"...but then we'd be in agreement :]

The number seems quite low given what I see on DL.COM on a regular basis (e.g the infamous PHL-FCO itin). Like Robin I've been forced to redeem at 32.5k for the most recent domestic Y itins, although I did find a 45k in F also. I haven't redeemed internationally on DL since PHL-FCO 18 months ago. I don't know if the mean SM redemption number compares well with mean program redemption demands at OALs or not. Neither do you, yet. We probably need to dig into each of the 10Ks to find comparable source data.

9. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Burnt over 1/2 million this year on saver domestic Y (always upgraded to F), International J or F to Hawaii.

Nah, they migrate here.

10. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have burnt millions of DL/NW miles and still never at anything other than a low-level award out of principle. Those 100k RT J awards to Europe would keep my average itinerary well above 25k, though.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would seem to suggest, contrary to popular opinion, a substantial majority of redemption segments are at the low, 25k domestic coach award level. Of course, it's entirely possible that there are a half-dozen misleading accounting tricks going on behind the scenes, as the numbers here are pretty easy to manipulate (like the lower-cost redemptions you mentioned). I didn't get the email, but did it say flight redemptions, or just redemptions? People could be dragging the average down by buying toasters, depending on how it was phrased.

I think it's marketing speak, impressive claims with enough ambiguity that no direct comparison can be made.

As someone who had a pretty easy time booking a great, low-miles business-class redemption with my wife, I do think people exaggerate DL availability issues. They're not great by any stretch, but can still be workable. At the same time, that number just looks too low to be real, if it was just talking flight redemptions.

12. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Notice that awards START at 25K. What we don't' know -- how many in low category? How many Y vs F tickets? How many upgrades? etc? If the average is only 10K over the "cheapest" ticket, that's not too bad. Think about in response to "lowest paid" fare. You start at T fares, and go up. What percentage of tickets are T fares? Think about it in the same way, and the average seems reasonable.

13. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly Off topic - but when I find econ tickets pricing at 32.5K, I often find 40k business available on the same flight and end up buying them. 7.5K RT more for business -Easy decision.

Davescj likes this.
  14. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've often done the same thing. I often find if I am willing to be flexible by a day I can get the cheaper flight in J. Also, if you call DL they can look on partners that may not show up on the website for what ever reason. Most agents are great at looking for the cheapest flight for the miles, even if it means an extra connection.

JosephMay likes this.