It's 2011 -- Hyatt, Please Provide Email Contact Information For Your Properties

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Hyatt,

a quick look at the calendar reveals that it's the year 2011. I personally have been using email extensively for 22 years now. I don't know anyone who doesn't have an email address. I don't know anyone who doesn't use email.

But it seems Hyatt is different. Looking at the property fact sheets or the hotel-specific websites, I find fax and phone numbers, maybe even a web address, but no email. Why is this? Wouldn't it be so much easier for everyone involved if your guests could communicate with the hotel via email? It would reduce cost, allow for tracking of issues, facilitate asynchronous communication (which guests from other countries/timezones would probably love), avoid misunderstandings due to language/accent barriers...

Please, dear Hyatt, join us on the information superhighway!

PS: I am bringing this up now because I found a random $4 charge from the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara on my credit card bill (in addition to the correct charge matching the folio total). I have no idea what it's for. And I am sure as heck not going to spend ten minutes or more (and long distance dollars/cents) trying to reach the correct department at the hotel on the phone and go over the $4 issue. So the amount will be disputed as an unauthorized charge on Amex' website.

paladin87, mommypoints, kenbo and 5 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with this. Not only Hyatt but every other company as well.

uggboy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True. And more and more companies want their customers to use Facebook to communicate. Sorry, not going to happen. There is a perfectly usable open standard (email) and I see no reason to switch to Zuckerberg's proprietary walled garden for my basic communication needs.

paladin87, kenbo, cennas and 2 others like this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amen to that!!

paladin87 and uggboy like this.
  5. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hello!

Hyatt does offer email addresses for our international hotels. For our domestic properties, we recommend you contact our Consumer Affairs department. You can reach them, from our website, by calling 800.323.7249 or at the following link: http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer-service/share-feedback/share-feedback-on-a-recent-stay.jsp

Having our Consumer Affairs department handle hotel issues and/or requests, allows one department to take care of our guests.

HaveMilesWillTravel, could you please PM your reservation details to us? We are happy to look into the charge in question.

Nick B.

uggboy likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the "no email" thing is specific to American properties?

I was modifying my reservation at the GH SIN and noticed the hotel-specific website had an email address on it. A quick check on a few other international properties also showed email address on each of their hotel-specific websites.

To be honest, I hadn't noticed the lack of email address on American properties' hotel-specific websites before. Seems a bit strange. If they can put up email addresses for international properties, why does it have to be any different with American properties.

lwkatya, TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meaning that US Hyatt properties have yet to join the superhighway 2011 and beyond!;)

TheBeerHunter and cennas like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Nick, but I don't quite understand why I shouldn't be able to follow up with an issue "domesically" via email. What is domestic and international for those of us residing in the US isn't domestic/international for those of us living or traveling abroad. I.e. while the HR Santa Clara is domestic for me and the PH Hamburg isn't, I have friends in Europe and for them it's the other way around.

So my basic point remains: it's 2011 and I see no reason to not offer a choice of communication mechanisms. And note that it's not just a mechanism for complaints/questions... I have used email with other hotels to ask pre- and post-stay questions, offer comments (praise) about particular staff members, ... I have also seen individual Hyatt (usually HP) managers put their email address on the folio and asking to reach out to them if anything wasn't perfect.

I'll be sending you details of my $4 charge, even though quite frankly it seems an unnecessary layer of effort and bureaucracy for such a trivial amount. Thanks.

Good point. Come to think of it, I have communicated with the GH Erawan and the Hua Hin property via email. That was as I was stuck on an airbase in Japan after our plane diverted due to the March quake. Email (3G network via iPhone with international data roaming plan) worked perfectly to notify the Bangkok property that I wouldn't arrive that night and to tell Hua Hin that I might be a day or two late and didn't want my one-week reservation cancelled. Admittedly, an extreme situation, but it worked perfectly.

TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I very much agree. If given the choice, I am just not a phone person. Crying babies in the background don't seem to impact email quite as much as phone conversations. :) Email is much easier, and doesn't require that both parties be available at the exact same moment.

I have had great success contacting individual Starwood properties via their email addresses that are listed on their respective websites, and would love to be able to do this for all Hyatt properties as well.

10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. This is an excellent example of the benefit of being able to communicate directly to each property via email. Having to communicate through Consumer Affairs and then waiting for them to contact the hotel is just plain unnecessary IMHO.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly!

TheBeerHunter and cennas like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An example of where Hyatt gets it is Gold Passport. I never call them about missing points or stay credits. Much easier to summarize the issue in a quick email, provide all the relevant data, and shoot it off to goldpassport@hyatt.com. Has always worked very well, and I bet it saves Hyatt time (compared to phone calls) as well.

13. Kelly Pole

Kelly Pole New Member

Status Points:
    Two hours after i check out of the hotel, i received a email that the Hotel charged with additional $125. When i contacted the desk clerk, they informed me that the additional charges were made as i had a pet with me in Hotel and they need to this cost to clean the comforter. Apparently i have had no pet with me. Moreover they dont allow it.
    I need to get my money back.
    I reported on http://www.vcharges.com/hyatt-place-90

14. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is 2014 now and I requested an e-mail address for the Hyatt Place Chicago South/University Center. I heard back within 24 hours from them and they send me a wrong e-mail address of the property. This is what GP sent: chizu-dug-chizu-hp-chicago.university.of.chicago-gm@hyatt.com
    I thought the e-mail address looked strange but tried anyway, e-mail came back a minute later as undeliverable. Wrote back to GP and within an hour received a different e-mail address. This one was the name of an actual person, the e-mail has not come back but I am still waiting for a reply from the property. Almost 48 hours now. All I want to know is the size of room and max occupancy. NOTHING mentioned on the Hotel website but the room has a "Swiveling 42" flat screen HDTV" and "1875 watt hair dryer"

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:

The other beautiful thing about 2014 (now) is that in 2 seconds with Google you can receive an address and phone number for almost any business worldwide, and with VOIP regardless of where you are calling from calls to the +1 prefix tend to cost less than 0.02 USD per minute at the maximum:
    Hyatt Place Chicago South/University Center
    5225 S Harper Ave, Chicago, IL 60615, United States
    +1 (773) 752-5300

Have a great trip!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but there are still plenty who think that's an unacceptable approach to solving the problem: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/some-things-hyatt-and-gp-could-should-improve.89198/unread.