Itinerary Planner | Hotel Shares, Arrivals and Departures

Discussion in 'SMD5 (Star MegaDO #5)' started by Randy Petersen, May 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Please use this thread to post hotel room shares, and individual arrival and departure info.

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Placeholder:
    Arrivals | Departures

3. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about we revive the wiki pages that I've created for past MegaDos to track some of this?

4. davegolden99

davegolden99 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone - Rookie MegaDo here. My wife, Linette, and I look forward to meeting you all.

We had two complimentary nights from the Radisson "Stay one night, get one night" promotion last year and are using them at the Radisson Hotel Admiral Toronto-Harbourfront, then using miles for the third night. A five minute ride over to the Ritz Carlton. What are the rest of you doing? Anyone else staying at the Radisson?

5. davegolden99

Status Points:

Sorry to reply to my own thread - and perhaps this should go in the Q&A thread: Can anyone tell me if we are required to stay at the host hotels? I can cancel the reservation above - the intention was to unload these nights in a hotel other than the Blu in Chicago and I read the Toronto Radisson is decent.

Anyway, if it is a requirement to stay at the host hotel, I will re-book. What kind of rates are you folks getting? We're Marriott Gold but looking forward to the perks from this trip.

6. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you need to stay at the host hotels, at the group rate, to be eligible for the ~18 months of Marriott Platinum that they are granting everyone.

However, it won't be overly expensive. We've got a $140/night option in both cities in addition to the (obviously) more expensive RC option.

7. YULflyer69
    Original Member

YULflyer69 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there an absolute requirement to stay at a Marriott property on the Friday night in downtown San Francisco? I've booked a 6:30 am departure on Saturday morning, and having to stay downtown would be decidedly inconvenient. The official program ends at 8:30 pm on the Friday, doesn't it?

8. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will enquire and get back to you, I know you aren't the only person in that situation.

9. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    As confirmed in the master thread, no, you don't need to stay at the DO property on Friday night. But, as it turns out, we'll be staying at the Airport Marriott Waterfront, so it might just work out for you!

10. margarita girl
    Original Member

margarita girl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the minimum number of nights that have to be spent at the Marriott Eaton Centre to qualify for the promo? Could one arrive on the 23rd and check out on the 25th?

11. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is fine. As previously noted, while we are encouraging people to arrive the 22nd (to allow for misconnects and an easier morning in general), arriving on the 23rd is ok and there will be a bus from the airport to Rimowa for such arrivals.

12. margarita girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perfect. I would take the GO bus from Richmond Hill to Pearson. No chance of a misconnect. ;)

13. skuldyie

skuldyie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally booked my flight and will be coming in Oct 22nd about ~6 am so if anyone wants to do some random sightseeing/wandering about with a sleep deprived me, I'm up for it ;)

Finally unlurking and excited about first MegaDO :D . Will probably fly in on Oct 22 and undecided on stay for that day. But will stay at Marriott Eaton Centre 23-25. Have that booked, anyone interested in a hotel share?

mtlfire, rehoult and tommy777 like this.
  14. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am coming in on the 22nd (~5:00 pm) and will probably stay near the airport (unless it is a short cab ride from the airport to a host hotel) and catch the bus to Rimowa on Weds. a.m...... I did book the RC 23-25....

rehoult likes this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This can be moved to any thread deemed more appropriate by the organizers, but for first timers to Toronto there are a few ways of getting from YYZ (STAR carriers operate from T1, ONEWORLD and SKYTEAM from T3...there is no T2) to the two hotels depending upon your budget.

1. Limos and fixed rate cabs can be taken from either terminal, signs on the arrivals level after exiting customs will direct you to the queues. Really no difference between the two since the fixed rate cabs are pretty much the same as the standard limos, all in top notch shape. Both will charge between $55-$60 to the hotels, and take credit cards.

2. Airport Express bus is now based on Front Street at the InterContinental (road construction has moved it from the Royal York Fairmont, the usual terminus). Get off at this stop for the Ritz Carlton which will be a block north on Wellington, west from Simcoe, next to the CBC Broadcast Centre. The one-way fare is now $27.95 ($42 rtn) and there should be a kiosk near the pier where the bus departs at each terminal. Once at the IC, there are small shuttles which will connect those going to the Marriott from this main stop.

3. Public Transit on the TTC runs every 15-20 minutes from dedicated stops at each terminal (follow signs after leaving customs hall). Take the 192 Airport Express which will take you to the Kipling subway station. (There are racks for your larger bags on the bus.) All trains run east into the city so don't worry which side of the platform you get onto the train from, though if two trains are parked, there should be an arrow to the one leaving next. Take the train to Yonge Street station and go upstairs to connect to the Yonge-Spadina line which you'll take south to Dundas station. This is the Eaton Centre and the Marriott is tucked behind this complex on Bay Street. Easiest way to access it is from the subway make your way into the mall and get to Sears. Once there, go to the main/street level (escalator up one level) and exit the store through the south entry into the mall. On your right you'll see a set of doors leading to Trinity Square Church. Exit here and walk past the church and you'll see the Marriott. (Anyone remembering the Cowboy Junkies first album "Trinity Sessions"...it was recorded in this church.) Fare is C$3 cash, no change by the bus operator but there is a vending machine that will sell tokens, but remember you'll need Canadian money! No need to take a transfer from the bus driver as you won't need it to get into the subway at Kipling...nor to transfer to the southbound Yonge-Spadina line. Takes about an hour once you're on the 192.
    I'm assuming anyone staying at the RC wouldn't use the subway, but if you plan to, then you can follow these directions, but get off the Yonge subway at St. Andrew station (which is also on King Street), exit on the southwest corner and head west towards a church on the corner at Simcoe. You'll see the Thomson Music Centre and behind it the RC, just west of Simcoe on Wellington.

For those planning to stay out by the airport the first night, some hotels have their own shuttles, some share large blue bus shuttles. Best to keep the hotel phone number accessible and call to confirm pick-up details when you arrive. Like most airport strips, not much to do for the evening though there are a couple of good chain restaurants walkable from some of the hotels.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    milchap, ChrisUNC, cheryld and 2 others like this.
  16. margarita girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Alternative is to stay at an airport hotel on the night of the 22nd and meet up with the group on the morning of the 23rd at Pearson (which is what I am planning to do).

17. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed info, Canadi>n. Your timing was perfect!

18. davegolden99

Status Points:
    Great information, Canadi>n. Thank you!

Does anyone arrive on the 22nd around 4:47pm? That is when our flight arrives and we are staying at the Ritz Carlton. Does anyone want to meet up and split a limo? Just an idea to save a few bucks. Message me if interested.

19. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, that is what I am probably going to do (and mentioned in post #14) :)

20. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:

Great thinking... I arrive around 11:30am. Anyone arrive the same time up for sharing a limo?

21. Ronald Bernheim

Ronald Bernheim Silver Member

Status Points:
    We arrive 3:48pm United on the 22nd and would share a ride.

22. davegolden99

Status Points:

Great, Thanks Ronald. My wife and I will be there at 4:47pm but certainly don't want to hold you up. I'll message you my phone number so we can get in touch if you are interested in sharing a ride. At the Ritz?

23. skuldyie

skuldyie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still undecided if I want to stay near airport on 22nd or downtown. Downtown would be more fun but cheapness beckons near the airport :)

24. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:

Since you're arriving so early on Tuesday, perhaps it's worth splurging for a hotel downtown.

FlyingFree and skuldyie like this.
  25. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no real public transport way to get from the airport to downtown beyond the airport bus, which would be an option if you stay out there. However, there are cheaper non-chain hotels you could spend a night at in the downtown area-ish, that would be more fun. No, don’t remember which ones they are, but they do exist, or used to. It’s been too many years since I went that option to offer any advice on what they’d be.