Itinerary help

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by dream48, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dream48

dream48 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I am new to this forum. Me and my husband will be traveling in Thailand in March of 2014 and would like some advice on the itinerary. We are arriving very late on March the 5 th from Chicago and will be leaving on the 16 th. ideally we would like to see Bangkok, Chiang Mai, then proceed to Siem Riep for two days and maybe squeeze in some relaxation time at the end. We booked our flight on miles, but the rest like internal flights, hotels, etc we should do on our own. What would be the best routing so we don't waste much time. We are very active couple, even though we are already past 60 years old and quite experienced travelers, but have never been to Southeast Asia. Will greatly appreciate advice on hotels, tour guides, etc

Traveling Momma and Kalboz like this.
  2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint! I'm not very savvy on Thailand, but I'm sure lots of others will be able to help!

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chiang Mai and environs would be hazy at that time due to the slash & burn practiced by local farmers annually. You will at least need one week to see most of Bangkok's highlights. Then, I'd do Siam Reap and Phuket. Bangkok Airways (PG) flies between the three cities (Bangkok, Siam Reap, and HKT). MP member kwai is familiar with it as he flies PG regularly.

Hotels in Bangkok, I'd recommend staying by the river but this also depends on which is your preferred hotel chain, loyalty program, and your accommodations budget. Some of the most expensive hotels in Bangkok are located at the river, such as the Peninsula, Shangri-la, and the Oriental hotel. But there is also a reasonably priced Royal Orchid Sheraton (ROS), the Millennium Hilton, and many other non-chain local hotels.
    Too bad you are traveling next year, new Priority Club PointBreaks list was published today that has discount hotel stays through August 31, 2013, and includes the Intercontinental Phnom Penh for 5K PC points per night!​
    The same with Phuket, depends on your interests, budget, and loyalties.​

uggboy likes this.
  4. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you get to Chiang Mai, I'd also highly recommend Lanna Kingdom Tours, operated by "Mr. Pop," a former Buddhist monk. They do great private tours all around northern Thailand. If you get to the Golden Triangle area, don't miss the rotee food cart right by the boat launch...best bannana rotee I've ever had! Also highly recommend the White Temple in Chiang Rai.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend visiting the temples in Bangkok, in particular seeing the Wat Pho temple and Wat Arun temple. You can see the both in one day, as they are easy to get to, a simple boat ride away from each other! Wat Pho is famous for the huge gold reclining Buddha and Wat Arun is a temple of spectacular proportions! In Chiang Mai there are the options to go on a jungle trek, tiger sanctuary, elephant sanctuary. Chiang Mai is a very active place!

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there! We're from Chicago too and will be traveling to Thailand for the first time this March as well. We live downtown in River North.

Here is a bunch of research I've done that may be helpful to you too.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/sharing-my-research.63055/

I'll share more as I get it put together. I hope you have a great trip!

Kalboz likes this.
  8. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    i am a fellow chicagoan too - streeterville here. I am going in November, any suggestions for November specific travel?