Itinerary Change

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Sep 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Y and I booked to visit family over Christmas and this week have managed no less than three e-mails indicating itinerary changes. The upshot was that our 16:30 departure for home was nixed and we were booked on an earlier flight at 11:50. Which would mean a 7:30 hour wait in Toronto. Much though I like the domestic MLL in YYZ, seven and a half hours is a bit much.

So, I called AC and discovered that there was no way to get rebooked on our original flight and no other itinerary was going to work. The only reasonable fix left was to rebook the final leg so we get home hours earlier. Which is ok, as it leaves us in YYZ for only an hour. But the end result is that we can't do lunch with family on the day we return, as we had originally planned.

During the conversation with the agent he mentioned two or three times that I should call customer service because all he could do was rebook my flights. It seems he was inviting me to seek something more than a rebooking to compensate for the inconvenience. Which leads to my question: assuming I pursue this any further, what is reasonable to request? Upgrade on final leg? Upgrade both ways? More, less, anything, nothing?

All advice gratefully received.

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I think as long as they get you where they promised, delays and cancellations are not necessary subjected to compensation especially there is a lot of advance notice. As for you feeling the agent trying to nudge you to bring the matter up to Customer Care, you are probably right.However, while we wish it was for the right reasons, it could as easily be that the agent is not empowered to do anything and wants the best for you or the agent wants you off the line. I would not have expectations on any compensation in your case as you have over 3 months of notice. Sorry for the non-rosy opinion.

YULtide and Absolute99 like this.
  3. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think WilliamQ hit the nail on the head. Generally a schedule change should allow you to make a change to your booking without any fees, depending on the severity of it.

Other than that, as stated the only agreement is that they get you to your end destination. There is no guarantee of time or date of arrival... other than a timely manner. IRROPS could warrant compensation in transit, hotel stay, rebooking on a non-AC airline, but not when notice is given prior to the commencement of travel. I would say absolutely no chance of upgrades, at most if you really push it a standard 5% discount on your next booking.

YULtide and WilliamQ like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wanted to add... if you push, they just might offer a free cancellation which is not helpful at all and sometimes feels like a threat in situations where you really have not much options or the original fare buckets are no longer available. Best thing you have now is usually the no fee changes to another flight that works best for you. I did once get a complimentary Economy Comfort (Delta) for an upcoming flight for both myself and my wife (outgoing) but I was calling in for account matters. The offer was not asked for, just a good agent wanted to help make good a situation. Think it went something like... "sorry for the troubles.. I did noticed that you have an upcoming flight with us .... Can I offer you an upgrade to Economy Comfort for you and your companion on the outgoing trip..." Good stuff do happen out of the blue :)

Absolute99 and YULtide like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should just chalk it up to life and carry on. Which, I have to say, was my initial inclination until the agent started nudging.

Good stuff does happen out of the blue.

Absolute99 and WilliamQ like this.
  6. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have had the same situation this week- not changes to award tickets but the matching rev ones as well. all flights are domestic so not sure what is causing the shuffling of times. the file is growing as we staple the updated bookings to each other.

YULtide likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    These aren't award tix, either. I was thinking after being bumped off a flight that presumably is already overbooked, it's a good thing I'm E50K. Imagine if I were only E35k, or even had no Altitude status. I presume they've only left the E75Ks and SE100Ks on the flight we were removed from.

8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....and the Intineray changes keep coming!

I booked a flight for next July two days ago and already have an itinerary change to a different flight on one of the return legs

At least they left me in the same seat.

ACMM likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same seat? A miracle! It amazes me sometimes how many changes occur!

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems miracles happen! But I have had a half dozen e-mails informing me of itinerary changes over the last few weeks. And I'm a mere E50K.

londoncalling and ACMM like this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think how many changes you would have got if you were E100K :D

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  12. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I haven't had an itinerary change in a long time and I will fly around 200K miles again this year.

ACMM likes this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not tempt Ms Fate. :)

ACMM and londoncalling like this.
  14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a vacation trip in a few weeks. It was booked about six months ago. I have encountered nine schedule changes.....the majority were minor and not worth fretting about; however the last change was a major one.......7 hour connection in YYZ to a TATL destination. I phoned in and the agent first cleaned up the file and then fixed up the problem....and to my surprise apologized for the inconvenience and changed our seats to preferred ones. :)

ACMM, YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    My point exactly.

ACMM likes this.
  16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the "your flight now lands at 10:57 instead of 10:56" change is no worry. But 7 hours in YYZ is incredible, which is where I came in on this thread.

We were already in preferred seats, so there wasn't much more the agent could have done.

ACMM and milchap like this.