Items that make travel easier and more pleasant

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Tinkerer, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over the years, I've found items that make traveling easier or much more pleasant.

* UtiliKey 6-in-1 Tool (looks like a key, has straight knife blade and a serrated cutting surface, a flat screwdriver, a Phillips screwdriver, a micro-sized screwdriver, and a bottle opener)

* Capsule speaker (using OmniTech Mini-Speaker I got at an office supply store for $10) - great if I am not taking my computer and want to play music (from my iPod) in the room

* Power strip - a small 3 outlet power strip can save you from carrying multiple power converters, avoid unplugging the desk lamp to get to have enough outlets, or share valuable outlets in airports

* Noise canceling headphones - yes, they take up valuable space (mine are the Bose Noise Canceling) but also let me arrive much more rested.

What have you found useful over the years?

Tracy, tahewett and Freddie Listo like this.
  2. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aside from the usual electronic gadgets (iPad, cell phone, etc.) I've found the most useful things are a handful of teabas, a couple cliff bars, and a "come what may" attitude.

For awhile I had a stash of those chewable toothbrush things, those were pretty handy. Sadly though I've run out and haven't been to a UK motorway service place for awhile, that's the only place I've seen them predictably.

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  3. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer IEMs and earbuds over noise cancelling headphones, and always bring a pair (or two, they aren't exactly huge space wasters).

I think having an interesting magazine or the day's newspaper is crucial for my enjoyment. Can't use electronic gadgets for about 20-30 minutes of the flight!

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Compact power strip
    Pocket wireless router
    Noise cancelling headphones
    A packet of single use medicines and sundries, which I keep in an NH F amenity kit
    Universal power adapter
    Extra laptop power cord that i use for travel only

lin821 likes this.
  5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I have started to carry the Tumi projector with me. It´s tiny and fun to use. (My review of it is here for anyone interested.)

tahewett, remo80222 and Gargoyle like this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    eyeshades and ear plugs. and a warm towel at the end of a flight

the only other thing I need is a hot shower in the lounge after a long flight.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have to check this?

8. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have recently got an e-book reader that I find goes everywhere with me. I do not know why I got one as my ipad has 300 books on it but it seems to last for ever before a charge.

9. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. It looks very much like a regular key that would fit in the lock on your front door.

lin821 and kiwi like this.
  10. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. ;)

Only issue I've had with it is initially it can be a bit tough to open, which is actually good because it ensures the key stays on the keychain.

11. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Band-aids. I have sensitive feet.
    A nail clipper, since I always seem to snag a fingernail hoisting luggage around.
    A corkscrew.

lin821 likes this.
  12. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the items listed above.

A small bottle/tube of hand sanitizer. I'm not a germophobe but I've been on some flights and in some meetings where it seems like every other person has the bubonic plague and they are sneezing, dripping, snorting, blowing and wiping all at the same time. And of course the people at the meeting want to shake hands. A fist bump doesn't really work in that setting.

A travel umbrella.

A few tie-wraps. These can fix a lot of things that break until you get home.

A couple of mini bottles of tabasco sauce. Even airline food can be given another dimension.

tahewett and kiwi like this.
  13. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes. I carry a Tide-To-Go pen with duct tape wrapped around it. Similar idea.

lin821, inukshuk and diver90 like this.
  14. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea. I will use this. With tie-wraps and duct tape we can pretty much do anything.

noel and Tinkerer like this.
  15. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got an ereader for Christmas, and it's awesome for travel, I also take a tiny container with assorted teabags, sugar, etc

diver90 and kiwi like this.
  16. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That triggered another item. Some Starbucks VIA and Splenda. The VIA is quite decent in a pinch and to me Splenda (yellow pack) is way better than the Blues and Pinks.

17. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best flashlight ever. Made by Surefire, military grade. I carry it everywhere. More at their website.
    [​IMG]

18. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an Altoids tin with bandaids, Q-tips, toothpicks, Uncle Bill's tweezers (but only the ones with the flat holder which fits on a keyring -- the bottle is too bulky) http://www.duluthtrading.com/36562.aspx?src=T11WFSHP1 . If you are going to be doing some hiking, a military signal mirror and flat whistle will also fit. Also, the one emergency packet of Starbucks VIA, which can be shaken into a water bottle and drunk cold if a caffeine headache is imminent.

tahewett likes this.
  19. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too prefer IEM or earbuds to noise canceling headphones. Either way, a good pair of headphones and iPod is a must for any travel. I've taken to bringing the Kindle and iPad too, which generally making long trips bearable. Now, if we could only get internet access on some international flights...

20. popfly
    Original Member

popfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always bring 2 of these travel packs with me so I can easily view all the items inside and keep them organized. I use one bag for cords and electronics, and the other bag for the Altoids, Tide-to-go pen, sanitizer, plastic floss picks, etc.
    [​IMG]

MissBurrill likes this.
  21. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting! I may be getting the office to acquire one of these for me - with this, I could travel to do sales presentations with only my iPad!

22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, a smile is the most useful item I carry.

I also always have a small camera (currently a Canon G9), a sketch pad, pencils and notepaper. And a spare pair of prescription glasses, although thankfully I've never needed them.

23. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure I have a pair of noise cancelling earbuds.. would think that they are just as effective as the earphones as they go in the ear and not over. My problem is usually that I've forgotten to charge my player :D

cockpitvisit likes this.
  24. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ipod and noise canceling headphones, they are big but the earbuds give me a headache. Always have my 880IS powershot and sometimes my DSLR, depends where I'm going. My corkscrew was taken recently in PNH. [​IMG]

That combined with my laptop and stash of DVDs (thank you PNH markets) and I'm good for hours.

25. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    While physically travelling, I find that what has helped me the most are my ear plugs, eye mask, routine for stretches to get comfortable, and a huge desire to sleep (i.e. being very tired). Nothing makes a cross country/international flight more bearable than waking up on the other side.