Italy Question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by AdamAlex, Aug 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Okay I have three weeks- four weeks, should I stay in Milan, Rome Florence and Venice or stay in Rome and Florence and then go the Amalfi Coast and go to Tuscany from Florence, which way would I see more historical buildings??
    If you want to see my route I can send it via email please message me.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You really cannot miss with any of these. Almost any route in Italy is replete with historical buildings. The Amalfi coast, because of the scenery and topography mostly, is a bit less focussed on those architectural features, but it has many of them too. You need to review the areas using guidebooks and a bit of research to decide your own preferences. Almost everyone who has travelled in Italy extensively has personal favourites, but you will have your own once you begin to look around.

uggboy likes this.
  3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a trip through Milan-Florence-Rome last year...here are my thoughts--

Milan - business city. To be honest, on the day we were there, the subway was down due to a strike, so we didn't get to see a lot.

Florence - great small city with laid back attitude, lots of character and historic merit. Also a day trip to Pisa for the token picture is possible from here.

Rome - big tourist city, lots of people. Definitely historic sites here, but you'll be standing in lines to see quite a few of them.

And this was all in 1 week. Give me 3 weeks, and I'd go see all of the above :).

uggboy likes this.
  4. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    When traveling between Venice and Milan you might want to go to Lake Como for a couple of days. Belagio is an economical spot for a hotel and then you can water shuttle (about 5 euros) to any of the other nearby ports. We,ve been to Italy over a half dozen times and find this a beautiful, pictorial, relaxing location.

uggboy likes this.
  5. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, as already say Milan is business city, you can skip. More airline land directly to Venice :)
    When traveling between Venice and Milan you might want to go to Garda Lake, the largest in europe and very nice. And You can stop to Verona (find "Arena di Verona" or "Romeo and Juliet" to google). Venice, Florence and Rome are nice city and does not need an introduction :p

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to do all of this. The train between the cities may be a a good option until you get to the more rural areas but between the main cities the train is a good bet. I agree with all those above. Milan would be one to skip if you have to but it's not a bad place. Tends to be somewhat expensive. If I had to list them in order of do not miss it would be Rome-Florence-Venice-Almafi-Naples-whatever else and then Milan. You might even want to consider a cruise as it would hit many of these plus a few others. MSC or Costa is a good choice there.