Italy during Easter

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dhammer53, Dec 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be in Italy during Good Friday and Easter. Will anything be open other than restaurants?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you didn't say where exactly in Italy you plan to be not sure how the answer but you options are going to be infinitely less limited away from the large cities.
    Basically you wont be able to visit any museums or any historical/cultural sites that requires a paid entrance fee and even some forms of public transport will/may be operating under a reduced schedule .

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're driving, don't forget to consider when and where gas stations will be open. I've had issues with this in the past, even along major roads where the self service pumps didn't like American credit cards.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife drove from Zurich with a friend without lodging reservations over Easter weekend (pre smart phone internet age) and had a hard time finding somewhere to sleep. So make your reservations in advance.

Newscience, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough but this really hasn't got anything to do with Easter or Sundays or holidays .. blame the antiquated cards that were being issued by US card companies hopefully this problem will sort itself out by the new cards being sent out lately by many of the issuing banks.

That said during my trip to Italy three months ago I found just about every gas-station on the Autoroutes have an attendant who will pump gas and do your CC transaction at the pump.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    Newscience, Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mostly Milan, with the possibilities of day trips.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are planning to do strictly "sight-seeing" ..like drives along the shores of Lake Como or Lake Garda ( perhaps the lakes' boat/taxi services will be running ??), I would forget about Good-Friday.
    Only I thing I could recommend for that day would be perhaps a visit to the Cimitero Monumentale di Milano, a site I would highly recommend anyway in any visit to Milan, which renowned for its spectacular tombs and the final resting place of some very famous including Quasimodo, Verdi, Toscanini.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but on Easter, Sundays, and other holidays, gas stations are likely to be automated self service only. At other times, there's an employee and more payment options.

daninstl likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Absolutely. A phenomenal place.
    milan-cemetery-3.jpg
    milan-cemetery-2.jpg

Milan-cemetery-1.jpg

10. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd talk to the hotel concierge as I was in Milan during some holiday (I wasn't aware of) there and was pretty much confined to the hotel as nothing in the area was open. I was disappointed not to be able to get out and enjoy the area.
    Lovely city - I've just read about all the great additions they've made in preparation for the Expo (worlds fair) later this year in the UK Business Traveller magazine

Newscience, profpeabody and Gargoyle like this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We may just take the train to Zurich, on the way to Praha (Prague). Leave it to the wife of a milepointer/Flyertalker to suggest a weekend in ARN (Stockholm). ;) :D

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out "Museo Podi Pezzoli" in Milan, it's a private museum. It's closed on Easter, but on Good Friday should be open.
    http://www.museopoldipezzoli.it/#!/en/discover/

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  13. Paolo Scuri

Status Points:
  14. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    This may not apply to your trip but just in case, please note that in Italy the Monday after Easter is a holiday as well (Pasquetta). You should take that into account for planning purposes. Some small towns have special celebrations on Easter Monday. In Panicale in Umbria, they stage a race rolling large wheels of cheese on a course through the town.

Newscience, iolaire, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  15. Paolo Scuri

Status Points:
    Yes, correct and it's a day traditionally dedicated to a small trip around your town (la gita fuori porta).

Newscience, Gargoyle and profpeabody like this.
  16. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thinking is the Italy at Easter should be nice. The weather should be good but it may be really crowded around Rome or ANY church of course. It's like a 4 day holiday weekend so many things may have odd hours and some attractions may be closed or too crowded to visit. This is just a guess on my part.

18. Paolo Scuri

Status Points:
    Here's something to do on Easter Monday in Milan: visit "Fiera dell' Angelo" (Angel's Fair). A tradition for Milan people who on Easter Monday remain in the city. Hundreds of colorful stalls, the majority of which are filled with flowers and plants, clothing, toys, food specialties and handicrafts, animate via Monte Santo, Republic Square and the streets Appiani , Parini and Marcora. Epicenter of the event is the Convent and Church of Sant'Angelo, open for the occasion. http://bit.ly/1x95Mfu.

19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll spend 2 days in Milan, and 2 days in Parma. Doing the train for 9 euros each way.

Newscience likes this.
  20. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:

That's good information to have. We'll have several hours between our arrival back in Milan from Parma and the time we have to train it back to MXP. :cool:

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  21. Paolo Scuri

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's what I think it is, we walked past this yesterday. Our last trip (the first), we were in town during evening hours only. It's fun to see the city under blue skies and warm (60F weather).

FYI to future readers, I got a good rate at Eurohotel (for 3 guest in a room). It's behind the Sheraton Diana, and 3 subway stops (or 20 minute walk) from the Duomo. I'm pleased, but more importantly > the boss is too! Nice bathroom. ;)

Paolo Scuri and iolaire like this.
  23. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We went directly to the church first. It left me scratching my head. Mostly flowers and flea market items. I think we came in the wrong way beause all the action led away from the church. Multiple food items (catches my interest),houseware, plus assorted flea market. It was a warm sunny day. Short walking distance from the Westin, and long walking distance from the Sheraton Diana and my hotel.

A pleasant place to kill a couple of hours. We also had lunch at a local café/restaurant. I had oh my lasagna for 6 euro, about $6.60 at 1.10 conversion rate (now even lower).

Paolo Scuri, Newscience and iolaire like this.