Italy B&B

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Dad to GO, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I (and baby) have a trip planned to Italy in May 2013. She would like to stay a couple nights in a Italian B&B in the Tuscan wine region. Anybody have any good suggestions/past experience staying at one of these? Any input would be great!

Thanks!

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  4. romsdeals

romsdeals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just went to Italy on my honeymoon. I stayed in Florence for two nights. We used airbnb.com, it worked out great! Great location, clean, kitchen, washing machine, all under $100. PM me if you want the link or more info. I also posted a whole trip report on it.

jbcarioca, Dad to GO and rodeojones like this.
  5. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have thoughts on where specifically you want to stay in Tuscany? Does she want to stay at an agriturismo in the countryside or a B&B in a town? If it's a town Siena, San Gimignano, And Volterra are all great options.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    She definitely wants to stay out in the country side if possible. I think her dream type place would be overlooking a vineyard. There are so MANY choices...

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are definitely going to want to go the agriturismo route. I have never stayed at an agriturismo but trying posting on this forum, http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/wall/to-the-boot/index.html, and ask the folks if they have any agriturismo recommendations that are on a vineyard. The forum is very friendly and people are more than eager to help.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used this site several times. It works. A minor caution: Italian properties tend to be photogenic. Some of them have been hard to find, and a GPS is helpful, but with some seriously rural properties the address can be a problem. Usually they'll at least have lat. long. and that works with most GPS.

I have not stayed with a baby or small child. There have been both in residence at some of these places. Regardless of how misleading the photos are I have yet to regret one of these stays. For the record: I've been staying on farms and in monasteries in Italy and France fro more than 30 years, hundreds of times in all. There's no better way to travel, IMHO.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite spots is San Gimigiano, and one B&B in the countryside near that has been a favorite.
    http://www.sangimignano.net/accommodation/agriturismo/agriturismo-il-vecchio-maneggio.php

They have no vineyard within the official property but it is surrounded by vineyards. For some reason people of the area really seem to love babies, so you'll be inundated with coos and tickles. If you can handle that :D you'll have a great time. I could probably go on endlessly about this area, and some say I already do...:confused:

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  12. romsdeals

romsdeals Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out Airbnb.com and search San Gimigiano. Theres some nice reasonably priced ones. Use my link and get extra $25! I actually recommend visiting Cinque Terre, my favorite place on earth! I posted a trip report about it. I wish I was back there!

TRAVELSIG and jbcarioca like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Farinata and anchovies! heaven. I am addicted to farinata (socca in Provençal, the name used in Nice). The local wines are very good too, and there are plenty of ferries and trains to get you around if you imbibe too much of the local "produce".

TRAVELSIG likes this.