ITA Displays a fare, I cannot find it on the Airline website. Where to go?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by avflyer, May 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just looked up a fare on ITA and tried booking it on United and US Air, and could not come up with the same fare. I tried Expedia and Orbitz and had the same results. Help?

2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes unfortunately this situation is common enough. The standard advice, which does work often, is to search by schedule (instead of whole itineraries by price), and specify flight times as close to those you found at ITA as possible. In addition, also see if your portal allows you to restrict the search to UA and US only; if not, restricting to *A will be second best.

Milefy, NewCokeandTaco and avflyer like this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...I'm really not having trouble finding the actual flights say, on .bomb, but the fare. The same flights / city pairs many times price out higher.

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just so you know, I have tried booking segment by segment, breaking up round trips into one ways, etc. etc.

I think the answer may be to find a good old fashioned travel agent who knows how to key in the booking codes.

5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may wish to reproduce the fare at ITA and then send them a comment via link on the search results page (which will let them see what you were doing) that the price for identical flights is higher at the carrier's site. I don't know how ITA gets the fares, but if they are stale, this will be a useful alert.

Sagy likes this.
  6. I've found that tripadvisor.com give the same fares as ITA, but are bookable.

CDKing and avflyer like this.
  7. ccchilly

ccchilly Active Member

Status Points:
    just remember.....never never never call the airline........never......it will crab the deal for you and everyone else.....goes without repeating, but still needs to be said......NEVER!!!!

8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    U
    Uhhh....that's why I asked the question. Lectures unnecessary. Especially all caps which I consider yelling.

9. ccchilly

ccchilly Active Member

Status Points:
    I consider it yelling too....point made. Not specific to you, but there are some people who will cut off the branch they are sitting on, this was meant to reinforce the sticky on the subject.

avflyer likes this.
  10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I normally try one of the two
    1. try segment by segment on orbitz, limiting the carriers to carriers of choice (may not work if there are more than three carriers)
    2. contact my travel agent.

These two haven't failed me even for the most complex itineraries.

avflyer likes this.
  11. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look at the fare details on ITA and see where it is breaking the fares. For example, if you are flying AUS-DFW-LAX-SEA, ITA may have the fare as AUS-LAX, LAX-SEA or AUS-DFW, DFW-SEA or direct AUS-SEA as possible fare constructions. If you recreate ITA's fare constructions, you will have better luck on sites that use ITA as a back end.

Also try searching Kayak. If a fare is slightly out of date or gone, Kayak can often uncover someone who is still selling it.

I agree that Orbitz and PL are great when you specify narrow time windows and restrict carriers.

Sagy, Aktchi and avflyer like this.
  12. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent advice!

DesertRose likes this.
  13. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to book an itinerary from ITA as well and cant get it to put it together on any of the other big ones: orbits, PL, -travelocity almost gets it but with much longer layovers.
    and the airline sites DL and ALitalia cant do it either
    its
    YYZ-FCO direct Y, 8/31/11 at 1645 on Alitalia/DL codeshare
    FCO-JFK-BUF in Y 9/11/11 at 10am arriving in BUF at 1405 on DL flights
    nothing but ITA gets this one...ugh

14. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the outbound, do you want a DL flight number or AZ flight number?

I can get it on Orbitz using multicity and specifying AZ and DL as the preferred carriers (if you want the AZ flight number) or simply DL as the preferred carrier (if you want the DL flight number)

I can't get the return flight to arrive BUF at 14:05, because the TATL doesn't arrive JFK until almost 2 pm. Earliest return on ITA for DL arrives BUF at 19:12, and I see that on Orbitz.

In fact earliest arrival for any airline on ITA is 17:00. :confused:

15. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm new here. What's ITA?

17. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. I have been able to get a fare on ITA and on Orbitz/Expedia. The issue is that the websites will only let me book in K unless I go premium (y or b). I am looking to get a "W" fare. Because of the construction of the trip, I cannot call the airlines. Any help would be appreciated.

19. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's true only if the deal is a deal. :)

I spent an hour on UA's Web site yesterday trying to price out the precise itinerary I found on ITA (a $2K W fare to GIG -- not exactly a bargain). When I searched by price, the itinerary I wanted did not show up as an option, even when I requested specific flight times. When I searched by segment, I could choose the exact flights I wanted, but the UA Web site refused to price the flights at all! :mad:

Then I spent another hour on the telephone with united.com Web support. They can price out ITA itineraries if you feed them the exact flights. (I had no choice but to call united.com Web support, because I wanted to use an online-only e-cert.) So that's an option if for some reason you want/need to buy the ticket on united.com (such as using e-certs, vouchers, or the extra EQMs and RDMs) but united.com isn't cooperating. Just allow plenty of time for them to manually piece everything together and price it out for you.

20. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks worked like charm. I couldn't get my three segment one way ticket to price correctly on CO. Even with Multi-city entered every possible way. I really wanted to book this routing as it involved 777-200ER on domestic route.