ITA and Delta.com pricing not agreeing

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gantrioch, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gantrioch

Gantrioch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all. This is my first post on Milepoint. I searched for similar threads but didn't find anything. I'm pricing a flight from MDT to SJU from Saturday 26 May 2012 to Wednesday 30 May 2012 and am getting prices from ITA that don't match the Delta website. If I search using the "calendar of lowest fares" and the advanced routing codes C:DL* or C:DL+, I can get flights costing $501 to show up. If I search without using the advanced routing codes, I get pricing at $503. At Delta.com, the price is $584.40 for the exact same flight numbers. This has been going on for a few days. Is this a common occurrence with ITA software and Delta? Thanks very much.

2. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has always been pretty consistent between matrix and dl.com. Did you check the flights/routes to ensure they match exactly? That is the only thing I can see causing issues...

3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is most likely a problem with DL.com. Their flight search functionality is notoriously hit or miss. You may just want to call in the booking if you really want it.

4. Gantrioch

Gantrioch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the information.

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will say that this happens with all airlines. You can easily generate itins on ITA that are not replicable on the airline websites. There are complex rule sets being dynamically invoked by queries. Sometimes, they falsely trigger a different fare class.

As an example, CO.COM arbitrarily imposes higher fare classes on certain legitimate routing/stopover options if you use the multi-seg ticketing tool. If you repeat the identical search on x.com or the O, it offers the lower fare class. Even if you recreate the itin without using the multi-seg tool on CO.COM you can see the difference (e.g. TUS-LAX-JFK, which is a normal routing for TUS-JFK itins, shows a different and higher fare bucket when booked as TUS-LAX/LAX-JFK even with a sub-4 hour layover as permitted on all classes of CO domestic ticket).

But. This doesn't excuse DL. They are after all *best in class*

6. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    try booking on Orbitz w/ MultiCity. If this doesn't work it must be a married segment logic issue.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Code:

Recent I've noticed a strange pricing phenomenon which I assume is a married segments rule. No advanced purchase rules should be binding yet. The route is MSP-DTW-XXX RT, where XXX is served exclusively on DL by DL connection CRJ-200s from DTW. If I try to book this, it gives P fare with FC seating on MSP-DTW where the FC cabin is currently less than half full. It also seems to break the fare at DTW, resulting in a lowest RT fare of over $2000 for an advanced purchase with a Saturday night stayover. However, when I try to book MSP-DTW RT on the same flights, there's lots of H Q K availability in the $500-600 RT range and these are not -UP fares (none have been offered to me) that lead to FC seating. Similarly, DTW-XXX on the same flights is available in the H Q K range (and there is no FC cabin on these aircraft). I would have expected married segments logic to save the MSP-DTW seats for people doing further connections, not the reverse as in this case where one is penalized for connecting beyond DTW and doing it on the same ticket. I've never seen this before.

8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked ExpertFlyer (or something similar) to see if there are actually fares published for MSP-XXX? It seems like there must be, if you're getting P fares MSP-DTW instead of the available HQK fares like you'd expect to see if it's actually breaking the fare. One recent example of no published fare that I ran across when discussing an award ticket with someone is YYC-BZN. There's a published DL fare on YYC-BIL, but not YYC-BZN, and so the fare is broken at SLC for no reason other than a lack of published fare, resulting in a ticket twice as expensive as what AS or UA/CO publish between BZN and YYC.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there are published fares and it's easy to find no worse than K as a through fare on other dates on delta.dumb.