It is Official: Marriott Rewards Offers Free Continental Breakfast to Gold and Platinum Members 24/7

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by NYCUA1K, Jan 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LINK:

It's a fresh perk for Gold and Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards members: Enjoy free continental breakfast for 2 at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels® across the U.S. and Canada* – every day, 7 days a week. When the concierge lounge is open, you and a guest can enjoy complimentary continental breakfast. In Europe, hotels without a lounge offer a choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points daily.

And there's more on the menu. Any time the lounge is closed, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for 2 in the hotel's restaurant or 750 points.** Outside the U.S. and Canada you will continue to enjoy daily complimentary continental breakfast. So start enjoying this delicious benefit. We're serving up good mornings, free and easy for you.

Plus, Platinum Elite members will enjoy flexibility with their Platinum Arrival Gift: Now you can choose 500 points or a $10 food and beverage coupon to be used during your stay, with our compliments.

*Resorts are excluded. Charges applied for additional guests.
    **A limited number of hotels do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the lounge is closed, but do offer 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast. These hotels include:

Boston Marriott Copley Place
    Boston Marriott Long Wharf
    Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
    JW Marriott Washington, DC
    New Orleans Marriott
    New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
    New York Marriott East Side
    JW Marriott New Orleans
    New York Marriott Marquis
    Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
    Renaissance New York Hotel 57
    Renaissance New York Times Square
    San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
    San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This change was made 18 months ago.

Courtyard properties are excluded.
    Resorts are excluded.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must've missed the earlier announcement, but I just got the news along with other 2015 programmatic 'enhancements' by email from Marriott today. That some properties are excluded is, of course, no surprise since all the other programs also do have exclusions or non-participating properties...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Exclusions for providing breakfast to top tier elites? All of the programs, and this many non-participating properties? I certainly do not believe you are correct.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the Hyatt T&C:

Under HHonors, Waldorf=Astoria is famously excluded from this perk (although Asian W=As ignore the exclusion), and HHV now awards $10 discount vouchers for Diamonds to buy their own breakfast. There are also other properties that are excluded...

I could go on but the exclusions are the rule and not the exception...

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's no free breakfast benefit at Hyatts that offer free breakfast to everyone anyway, and timeshares. That is very much not the same thing as:
    * A list of excluded hotels that would otherwise be covered by the benefit
    * No breakfast benefit at ANY resort (and yes I realize that a Marriott resort in Asia may well give you breakfast as its own choice but that is not a benefit required by the Marriott Rewards program rules)
    * No breakfast at any Marriott Courtyard hotel

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. I stayed at Courtyard Shanghai for 5 nights and free breakfast was included, meaning that the superlatives and absolutes regarding such perks that fill 'loyalty' bloggers' posts need to be qualified or be issued with appropriate caveats...

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:

Dear Marriott,

Don't forget to explain the benefits to European properties. :rolleyes:

9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of CYs in Asia have lounges, and therefore they could offer elites the same perks as FS hotels. It's not a default, but rather an exception.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And not at all a promise from the loyalty program. There are hotels, especially in Asia Pacific, that go above and beyond the requirements of a program. That doesn't in any way deny that the program doesn't promise these things.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still waiting to see where 24/7 free breakfast is a published benefit as well.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D Touche... It is really 7 days a week and only in the morning rather than 24hr a day. I believe that Marriott did offer free breakfast to their elites except not on weekends. They have now extended it to include weekends...

13. misterchk

misterchk Active Member

Status Points:
    The Marriott info is VERY old - the free breakfast in the CL or in the coffee shop (when the CL is closed) has been around "many moons"

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you'll have to remind folks at Marriott that their info has been around for "many moons" because their announcement started by saying that "It's a fresh perk for Gold and Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards members..." ;)

When was it first posted? I do not know but I got it in an email touting the 2015 program 'enhancements" just a few days ago...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  15. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh Marriott...

16. Keef

Keef Active Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see what stumbling or road blocks we encounter when we return to the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas as a Platinum level member.

17. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    You missed the one meaningful exception in the Hyatt rules: "For stays at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, daily continental breakfast (tax and gratuity included) will be provided..." That's it. One hotel where the standard is "continental breakfast" rather than "full breakfast". One. The Hyatt Place and Hyatt House exclusions are like naming Residence Inn as an exclusion - these are brands that provide breakfast to all every day.

18. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    True in the US and Canada for the most part, but in Europe the CYs have been comping Platinum and Gold to breakfast in the restaurant for over a year now.

19. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the Cosmo is it's own little beast to figure out. I've gone and gotten comped for breakfast, gone another time and not been comped for breakfast. I can never guess which way they will be. Sometimes it's a great upgrade, sometimes I'm in the slow line :)

20. Keef

Keef Active Member

Status Points:
    As a Marriot Platinum member we were offered 500 points or a food and beverage credit, we were also offered a late checkout if we needed one.

Plus my Identity points offer that was part of my visit. One free night (I took Friday, one of the most expensive nights of our 6 night stay Mon. - Sat.).. $150.00 room credit, two free Wicked Spoon Buffets plus a two for one buffet due to my level and a $25.00 free slot play.

21. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is like a downgrade, just came back from Renaissance Düsseldorf. 2 years ago they gave free breakfast to everyone in room, i.e. us and the kids. Now they said breakfast is for 2 per room! So for us the announcement is certainly a downgrade.