It’s “Take Your Sister to Greece” Week

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ckc123, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And now a few highlights, along with pictures.

Washington Dulles to Frankfurt on Lufthansa In First Class: Ground Service.

I arrived at Washington Dulles a little early as I was meeting my sister there. She was flying in from North Carolina and would be flying the rest of the way with me. Unfortunately Lufthansa decided to have a staff meeting that day so the check-in area wasn’t staffed until the obligatory three hours before boarding happened so I had to wait a bit longer than expected before I could check-in and get my boarding passes. The process was simple and I was speedily through the premium check-in security and headed to the Lufthansa Senator Lounge on the B concourse to meet my sister. While we waited we had access to snacks and an open bar, you could also see our plane right outside the window. Once inside I found my sister and we waited for the flight to start boarding.

Lufthansa from Washington to Frankfurt First Class: In the air.

After they called the flight and we boarded we headed to our seats in the front cabin of the A330-300. A little caveat here: Lufthansa is in the midst of changing out the First Class seats on most of their planes except the A330-300 so we had the “old-style” seat - which in my opinion is still a pretty good product. The service is excellent and I had a book to read - so for me the entertainment system was just fine. If you wanted to watch a movie there were plenty to choose from although the screen was quite small compared to other First Class offerings.

We started off with some Champagne, followed by some great dinner selections and then sleep. We had previously declined the wake-up breakfast service because we knew we would be going to the First Class lounge for a shower and breakfast. My sister returned from changing out of her pajamas to find most of the flight crew assembled to say thank you to her and to give her a bottle of Champagne. I thought this was over the top but my sister loved it.

One of the things I love about the Frankfurt airport is immigration. It is just such a non issues compared to the US. We were off the plane and through immigration in ten minutes it seemed like. We then made a straight line to the Lounge.

We used the First class Lounge in terminal A because we were catching a connecting flight to Athens from Frankfurt and it didn’t make any sense to try to go to the First Class Terminal. The lounge has all the features found in the First Class Terminal except that in the terminal Lufthansa drives you to your plane. From the lounge it’s just a short walk to our gate. We took showers and had breakfast at the buffet.

Oh how we suffered waiting – moving on to Pink Champagne now.

The flight from Frankfurt to Athens was just a regular intra Europe business class trip of about two and one half hours. For those of you that don’t know, in Europe most carriers don’t really have a first/business class product for flights between European cities. What they do is to block the middle seat in the front of the plane for about eight rows. This changes depending on how busy they are in business. So you have a window seat and an aisle seat and the middle one is empty but they are economy seats so not any more comfortable than the ones in back, just not as crowded. You also get more food, not that we needed any at this point. It was still way better than coach.
    This concludes the first bit of this trip report. I’ll be writing about the actual trip next. In the meantime you can go to our trip report pictures page for a slide show of the pictures in the links above here.

NYBanker, Traveller, Toula and 2 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a silly question, but doesn't LH have an IFC lounge at IAD? Why were you stuck in only the SEN lounge with TATL FC tickets? I'm surprised as I would expect LH to have a separate FC section in almost all of their lounges.

3. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use the United IFC lounge if you want but Lufthansa doesn't have a separate one. Besides, the United one is in the C concourse. Much easier just to walk out of the Lufthansa lounge right into the plane. I've been in the United IFC Lounge and the Lufthansa Senator Lounge is better anyway.