Discussion in 'Europe' started by Newscience, Jan 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Istanbul who? It’s all about Ankara!

Andrea Sachs
    The Washington Post
    January 19, 2014

This article describes why visitors to Turkey must travel to see Ankara, (and not only Istanbul!) with it's 4 1/2 million residents inhabiting 971 square miles: from rug buying, to ancient (and newer) monuments and structures, parks, stores, restaurants, friendly people, and much more.

To read the entire article, See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...0d7be4-6900-11e3-ae56-22de072140a2_story.html

Don't forget to examine the Details piece for:
    - getting there
    - where to stay
    - where to eat
    - what to do

See the following link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...d5337e-76f6-11e3-8963-b4b654bcc9b2_story.html

Kalboz, Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ankara is indeed a fascinating place, with plenty to see and plenty to buy. I sent three weeks there on one (supposed to be) two-day trip, so I got to see a lot of things, including the Anatolian Museum -- a "must see" -- and lots and lots of rug shops. :D Found some nice ones, too. Bought a nice Qum silk.

When I was there, I had some issues with the foreign currency exchange rate AMEX charged on their cards -- as high as 7% or even more due to the volatility of the currency, but I understand that's supposed to be all fixed now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Counsellor!

FWIW, the various Chase (or other bank) credit cards with no foreign exchange fees may be worth considering when travelling overseas. It's certainly come in handy for me, and with much overseas travel, can quickly be worth the annual fee. ;)

Newscience

Counsellor and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    IHG is including the Ankara Crown Plaza in the PointBreaks offer for 5K IHG points ($35) per night ... a bargain!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Thanks for the tip, Kalboz! :)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree! However I was there in the early 2000s, before Chase and Citi came out with those "no foreign transaction fee" cards. If I recall correctly, at that time even the Chase Marriott card had a 3% fee, and I was staying at the Sheraton in Ankara so the purported 2% (then) SPG AMEX charge was a good deal . . .

except that it wasn't, when they quietly applied an "enhanced" fee for some currencies. That lack of transparency and consistency was, in part, what the class action lawsuit of the late 2000s against AMEX was all about.

Now I have miles/points-earning no foreign transaction fee cards with Citi (Hilton) and Chase (Marriott and COnowUA) that get quite a work-out when I travel internationally. I had a BA card as well but killed that when they converted to Avios.

Now if Citi would only convert their AA-linked cards to no-fee cards, that would really be great!

Kalboz and Newscience like this.