Istanbul Hotel

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by thegrailer, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 4 nights coming up in IST and was wondering about hotels. I have status and points with Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, PC and Marriott [not many point here though]. So far the Hilton and the Grand Hyatt are tops of the list. Good choices? It is always hard to pass up a Park Hyatt but it seems a bit out of the way - is it? (I almost missed the IC Mark Hopkins b/c of comments about the hills - what a great hotel). Walking isn't an issue as long as it isn't too dodgy and area. What about the Conrad or the new Doubletree? Does SPG have a dog in the race? The IC? (I am shying away b/c with only Ambass, I won't get lounge access without forking over for it) Maybe something in the old city for a night or 2? (Crowne Plaza?) I am not adverse to splitting my stay between 2 hotels. suggestons?

Cheers -

Dozer and Newscience like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not stayed at the Park Hyatt- however my colleagues have and they say it is becoming an excellent hotel (it had a few service problems on opening but now is running very well).
    I have stayed at both Four Seasons and they are phenomenal. The FS near the mosque is perfectly located by the way based on your thinking of staying in the old city (it used to be a prison- the same one from the classic film Midnight Express).
    Hilton is completely forgettable in Istanbul, as is the IC.
    SPG has the W which is in a nice neighborhood and has a good vibe- it is too dark for me but a lot of people really like it. Food and Beverage at the W is good however very high prices.

Newscience likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had three or four good stays in the Ciragon (spelling?) Palace along the water. It's in FHR and I've had outstanding upgrades, although not to genuine suites.

Newscience likes this.
  4. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both the IC and Grand Hyatt. The Grand Hyatt all the way.

Newscience likes this.
  5. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few months ago I stayed at the Hilton Double Tree in Old Town. A nice hotel but not the Conrad. I choose it simply for the Old Town location and right across the street from a metro stop.

I was very happy with the stay as the main old town sights were all within 10 minute walk or by the metro 1 or 2 stops. Very, very easy to use metro light rail.

Newscience likes this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks. I am thinking a couple of nights in the Hyatt and maybe one or two on the other side.

A bit off topic - Is Gallipoli a day trip or something that would be easier to do with an overnight \\

Cheers -

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  7. Jetpuffed
    Original Member

Jetpuffed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet. Beautiful hotel only steps from the Blue Mosque and the major sites.
    We booked through a Virtuoso agent and got free breakfast daily, a free lunch and room upgrade. The service and staff were in the top 3 of our international travels. It is seriously expensive, but I work (to buy supplies on my CC's to earn FF miles) to travel first class and it was well worth ithe $$$. I'll be back in Istanbul in 6 weeks and will be staying at the Intercontinental, only because I have a free night certificate. Otherwise, I'd be back at the Four Seasons.

8. Before 2 months i stayed Ottoman Hotel Imperial Istanbul.This is the one of the good hotel in Istanbul. Premium location in town.In this hotel guest room is really nice.

9. kavinaron

kavinaron Member

Status Points:
    I have no experiences with hotel you have indicated above.But what i said about istanbul is very good place for travelers.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to Istanbul in March for four days (first time), looking for hotel recommendations. Would prefer to burn points vs spending cash and have probably sufficient points with most major programs (HHonors, SPG, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG) to cover the stay. Would probably prefer IHG (have a free night from Visa that's expiring) or CC (tons of points, plus 1 free night due to Visa on awards). Mid-tier status with most programs, so not counting on/looking for upgrades. A reasonable room in a convenient location is my primary need.

Suggestions?

MX, Dozer and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    HMWT, I just returned from 2 week stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Istanbul. It's not the Ritz Carlton (or the Hilton, for that matter), but the hotel was perfectly acceptable. I found the staff almost too attentive, with at least 4 room checks per day, replacement of water bottles (4 per room), bed turndown service, etc. Breakfast with the room was quite good, with omelettes, etc. made to order. The buffet lunch was also quite good, but, let's face it, there's no lack of dining options in downtown Istanbul. A 5-minute walk out of the back of the hotel brings you to the Attaturk statue in the center of Taksim Square, and the start of Isticlal Street. BTW, if you stay/visit this hotel, definitely head to the nightclub at the top floor, for the view!
    Enjoy! Newscience

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, to all Istanbul-bound travelers, one additional hotel to consider, if you're interested in soaking up the storied history of certain iconic hotels, by all means at least visit the Pera Palace hotel, https://www.jumeirah.com/en/hotels-resorts/istanbul/pera-palace-hotel-jumeirah/

You'll be glad that you did! It was built in 1895, and the entire hotel is one big photo-op! A friend suggested that we meet there when I was in town, and I'm sure glad that he made that suggestion! :cool:

MX, Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I will check it out. With a free night, it seems it would cost me 150,000 points to get four nights.

Newscience likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky just posted his 2013 best Hyatt experience and he gave it to the Park Hyatt Istanbul: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/03/01/vienna-to-istanbul-via-tokyo-park-hyatt-istanbul/

MX and Newscience like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read all the bloggers ;) ... with the exception of @mommypoints & @Pizzaman , my situation also differs from most of them as we travel as a family with two children.

Just to provide you/others with a compilation of lodging choices, a wiki if you will, here is a list:

Another prefer the Conrad: http://maltapoints.boardingarea.com...to-istanbul-with-turkish-airlines-and-hilton/

Grand Hyatt: http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/grand-hyatt-istanbul-hotel-review/

Another Grand Hyatt: http://boardingarea.com/justanother...esidential-suite-at-the-grand-hyatt-istanbul/

Help a reader, Istanbul: http://boardingarea.com/dealswelike/2012/11/12/help-a-reader-travel-istanbul/

Hotel advice (dated): http://blog.contexttravel.com/istanbul-hotel-advice-from-an-insider/

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Life's too short to read all the credit card posts and look for the little nuggets of actionable information sprinkled in between. I am down to two or three bloggers.

From a hotel quality perspective, I am sure Conrad, Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt, IC, Hilton, ... would all meet and exceed my requirements. So I'll probably base my choice on location and balancing out my accounts. I have a lot more IHG and CC points than SPG/Hyatt points (even factoring in different point valuations), so whittling down IHG or CC a bit might make sense while preserving Hyatt/SPG for future opportunities.

Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  18. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:

There are lots of tour companies offering day trips to Gallipoli, but it's a long day since it's about a 3-4 hour drive from Istanbul. If you wanted to do Troy as well, you would definitely want to stay overnight.

Dozer and Newscience like this.
  19. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this! I'm gonna be in Istanbul for the first time in March and was also wondering about all this. I appreciate everyone's tips and please, keep them coming! I ended up booking a room at the Hilton Istanbul. I couldn't decide if staying in the new or old part of town would be better but decided on the new part of town for the night life. And the an overnight trip to Troy sounds awesome.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow - I started this 2.5 years ago and I have made 4 IST trips with a 5th one on the way in March. I'll rehash a bit. First stay was at the Hilton IST. It was great. A nice location pretty close to Taksim and as a Diamond, I ended up with a great room. Service and the lounge were both nice. The food near Taksim is amazing. A walk into the Arab area brought a selection of great food (walking from the Hilton towards Taksim the streets across the street from the park - the park near where the anti-gov't riots where). Second stay was at the Radisson Ortakoy. A bit out of the main part of town but if you are not a first time visitor, a great place. Even if it is your first visit, taxis are cheap and you can get most anywhere inexpensively. Plus the light show on the bridge is neat. The hotel itself is a bit oddly placed. A rectangle angled with the short end towards the water. I had a room on the opposite end of the hotel near the road but it wasn't noisy at all. The breakfast was wonderful on the Bosphorus. Plus the Ortakoy kumpir is delicious. Third stay was at the Park Hyatt. That was a short stay so being out of the way wasn't a big deal. Wow - great hotel and a nice upgrade to a spa room. Breakfast was good and the service was great. The concierge's knowledge was limited though. I had specific requests and she had no idea what to tell me other than what was on her list (her list wasn't what I asked for). The concierge also didn't know about the morning coffee/tea service for Diamonds (the front desk did). My fourth stay was back at the Hilton and was another nice stay. Fifth trip is also scheduled for the Hilton.

As for Troy and Gallipoli, I believe that they are on opposite sides of the Dardanelles so be cognizant of how you are going to get from one to the other. I researched visiting both but the timing just didn't work. (please confirm since it was a few years ago that I looked)

Using CC points you could split stays bw the Ortakoy and one of the other CC properties saving some points. I wouldn't rule out the Asian side CC either. There is a ton of stuff to do/see on that side as well. In particular Camlica Hill - which has the 4th best beanery in IST http://istanbuleats.com/2011/04/istanbuls-top-5-beaneries-4-comlek/

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    MX, Kalboz, Dozer and 1 other person like this.