Issues with Virgin Australia ticket on DL metal

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jaw_24, Jul 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got in on the current sale to Australia, on a Virgin Australia ticket but DL domestic flights. Currently unable to see the reservation or pick seats on Delta.com, and @DeltaAssist says "for some reason Virgin Australia has removed the flight information and cancelled the itinerary from the reservation."

Called VA, who says everything's good to go, but that there's no DL conf# for some reason, referred me to Expedia (booking agent), who plays dumb and says nothing is wrong.

Contacted @DeltaAssist again, now says "Because the ticket is issued by VA I would not be able to see the confirmation." Also, cannot assist me in selecting seats (Silver DM, trying to at least pick preferred seats).

So, my questions are:

1) Is this typical, and am I not able to see reservation or select seats on DL flights when issued by VA?
    2) How do I check-in when the time comes? DL doesn't even see the reservation, told me to check-in with VA. Will VA give me a boarding pass and allow Econ+ seat selection?
    3) Do I need to worry that this reservation will be nixed if there is an error?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoever sold you the ticket must provide valid Confirmation numbers for both VA and DL. Have you ever had a printed record that your ticket was issued? If there is uncertainty that your ticket exists, and your payment account has already been charged, I'd put the charge in dispute right away.

3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who's responsibility is it to provide the DL conf #? It is really the OTA, as I thought it was Virgin Australia since they sold the ticket as a complete trip? In *A, this is usually so easy, everyone knows that there has to be a booking reference for every carrier on a multi-partner ticket, but apparently this partnership isn't as clear. I'm just trying to figure out the right thing to ask for to get around the "check in with VA 24 hrs in advance to receive your seats" claim that everyone keeps telling me.

In theory, a CC dispute sounds fine, but I can already imagine the declined claim since CC rep will call VA (the charger) who will say I have a ticket, no problem.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    VA and DL systems don't work well together in either direction in regards to seats etc.

Call Delta and have them look you up by name and date of travel - don't mention the VA thing and ask for the confirmation number.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    One SkyTeam trick which sometimes works surprisingly well is to use your ticket number to find things on the Saudia (I'm not kidding!) Airlines website.

You should have a receipt with the ticket number. It was probably issued on Virgin. [Delta tickets start with 006- so you can tell easily. If Virgin sees the ticket, ask them for the ticket number.] A DL phone agent should be able to find your reservation from the ticket number if everything is OK and then tell you the Delta PNR (which will be different from the Virgin PNR or reservation number.)

MX and ballardFlyer like this.
  6. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried this on the DM line today, rep. first said that there is no reservation that she could find. I then gave the VA ticket number, and she was able to see space reserved, but no reservation yet, whatever this means. She also mentioned something about how the flights weren't matching between the VA codeshare and DL. In the end, the suggestion was to wait a week and try again due to system delays.

Also checked the Saudia website and the ticket doesn't pull up there.

Guess I'll be waiting since obviously something is there, but really want to get seats and everything set up since we are traveling with the kids.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have conference call capability? Get both carriers on the line together.

WilliamQ likes this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will they agree to do that (stay on the line)?

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it between carriers a couple of times before.

I typically call the carrier that has the issue, then loop in the one that purportedly doesn't. You have to be nice about it; it certainly isn't an everyday experience for the agents.

If the first agent doesn't agree to play ball, end the call and try again with a new agent.

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, an update for completeness and future reference.

DO NOT GIVE UP without a DL conf# on a VA codeshare!!! DL DM agent confirmed that I did not have a reservation until this was resolved. Here is the timeline of the process--

Couple more rounds of HUCA got me nowhere, except that I learned that VA was totally useless and refused to do anything with the DL segment unless my travel agent requested it (Expedia). This is fine, except that they still showed a valid itinerary in their system, confirmed on all segments, so when Expedia called them, they stonewalled and would do nothing.

Expedia was also not helpful - they contacted VA (the marketing carrier) multiple times, but could not get them to call DL. When pressed further as for how to check-in with Delta on the day of my flight, the responses went from "please check-in with Virgin Australia, not Delta" to "Just show the Delta agent a printout of your itinerary and they'll give you a ticket". When patched through with VA, I was again reassured that the DL agent that I had previously contacted was wrong.

FINALLY got in contact with a helpful DL DM agent who immediately saw that something was awry after I gave him my ticket number. He could see the reservation, but 'something's wrong' with it and They never confirmed the ticket with Expedia or VA! Something about how Expedia requested the ticket on a specific fare which was not available and so there was no confirmation. After some time, he corrected the issue, gave me a DL conf# (YES!) and I could see it on DL.com. Also, following Expedia's advise to just show up at the airport would have probably resulted in not flying anytime soon, so glad that I finally found someone who was willing to work the problem. BUT, he told me that I needed to call either VA or Expedia to reissue the entire ticket, to which I objected and explained that they have been giving me problems. He wouldn't stay on the line and contact them. Also said that VA would charge a fee to re-issue, so better to go with Expedia.

So, back on the phone with Expedia, who again shoved me to VA when I asked for a manager. HUCA. This time, I just asked for a manager, no discussion. Another 15 minute hold, then got another agent who actually seemed to be understanding and was willing to actually call DL with the newfound DL conf# that I gave. Some time later I got a call back and he said DL confirmed the flight and that there is no need to re-issue. hmmmm...

Anyway, the world looks round again, I can see all segments confirmed on all websites, including DL.com. It would seem that something went wrong in the Expedia system that didn't specifically grab a DL confirmation on the VA codeshare.

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was you I probably would want to check-in as early as possible on the day of departure to resolve any issues that might arise. ;)

jaw_24 likes this.
  12. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, may be an impending schedule change on the LAX-AUS route, going from the B717 to DL Connection ERJ-175. This is way out in March 2015.

Here's what I'm seeing:

From Delta.com and ITA:
    DL2312 AUS->LAX, dep 4:00PM arr 5:15PM
    DL2312 LAX->AUS, dep 9:20AM arr 2:35PM
    Both on 717

VA codeshare flight (from VA.com, confirmed with new search):
    VA6705 AUS->LAX, dep 5:40PM arr 6:55PM
    VA6705 LAX->AUS, dep 11:20AM arr 4:30PM
    Both on COMPASS DBA DELTA CONNECTION(VA) ERJ-175

I received a message that there is a VA schedule change on my DL flights. The new scheduled times for these flights don't match with scheduled DL flights, and my DL.com account still shows the 717 flight, but if you make a new booking on VA it shows these changes, which in the past has been an indicator.