Issues with AA inventory showing correctly?

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by DCtrAAveler, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to use SWUs to upgrade MIA-BCN-MIA later this summer. Have routinely checked EF to see if C inventory is showing as available on those flights. It is - at least 2 in each direction. Call EXP desk to confirm the upgrade before I purchase the ticket - agent says they have to be waitlisted. Tried 'hang up call back' and got the same response - with EF still showing C 2. Could EF be seeing inventory that isn't really available, or is there possibly a disconnect on the AA side where the agent can't see inventory that should be available?

2. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    The AA availability is accurate as it comes from AA directly. We see the dates that you posted on FlyerTalk, and there is no C inventory for those flights:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
    Code:
    Awards & Upgrades Search
    Departing MIA on 06/27/12 12:00 AM for BCN
    Returning on 07/11/12 12:00 AM 
    Flying AA   on booking class C        
    Direct/Non-Stop Only

Frequency                                                    
    Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Class Description                      Code  Seats
    0 Connections
    AA 112        0      MIA                BCN                763       Daily           Business - Upgrade                     C     0
                         06/27/12 6:15 PM   06/28/12 9:30 AM             NA / NA

Awards & Upgrades Search
    Departing MIA on 06/27/12 12:00 AM for BCN
    Returning on 07/11/12 12:00 AM 
    Flying AA   on booking class C        
    Direct/Non-Stop Only

Frequency                                                    
    Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Class Description                      Code  Seats
    0 Connections
    AA 113        0      BCN                MIA                763       Daily           Business - Upgrade                     C     0
                         07/11/12 11:30 AM  07/11/12 3:50 PM             NA / NA

3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, and I am able now to reproduce the result. However, as I also posted on FT, I don't understand why I'm still seeing C2 when I search my full itinerary, which is DCA-MIA-BCN. When I run DCA-BCN in the A&U search I get results showing C2 for the MIA-BCN legs.

If I want to be sure I'm seeing the most accurate information in making decisions about when I might be able to SWU, should I only search the international leg, or should I search my full itinerary (as I did initially, making me think there was available inventory)?

4. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    We called AA to double check this and here's the story:
    • Married segment logic applies to fare classes and award classes, as award classes are ticketed as combined segments the same way paid tickets are.
    • Married segment logic does not apply to upgrades, as they are processed segment by segment
    • The AA host/GDS still applies married segment logic to the C class results because it just sees it as another fare class, it doesn't "know" how it's really used.
    Therefore, you should search for upgrade inventory segment by segment.

5. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for getting back. Appreciate the info. In future I'll be sure to search the international segments individually when looking for SWU opportunities. Sorry for my confusion, and thanks for helping me better understand how to get the most value out of the EF tool.