Issue redeeming gift card bought at Office Depot

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mikus33, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last night I bought (3) $25 TJ Maxx gift cards at an Office Depot. I went next door to a TJ Maxx to use them, and two of the three worked fine, but the third one showed up as having nothing left on it. The receipt I had from Office Depot showed that all three had been activated and I had been charged. I went back to Office Depot to explain the situation, and the clerk said that he had a notice pop up on his computer a few minutes after I left (most likely when I tried to use the card next door). I told him that one of the three cards showed as having a $0 balance on it. He called his manager over and she looked at the error message that read “Gift Card Authorization Failure” on the screen. It asked her to call an 800 number and if she didn’t, the store would risk a loss on the card. She called the 800 number, but didn’t have much luck figuring anything out. Eventually, she activated a new $25 card for me checking it out as if I paid with cash, but not charging me. She made a note on a copy of my original receipt and the new ‘cash’ receipt so that whoever is in charge of balancing drawers would know why that drawer was $25 short.

This was most likely a fluke and may have absolutely nothing to do with the 5x bonus (especially since 2/3 cards worked fine), but I figured I’d share my experience. The manager mentioned she had worked there for 10 years and hadn’t seen an error like that before where she had to call in. I wouldn’t have thought too much about it except for reading FM's The end (of 5X everywhere) is nigh. Hopefully, this gig lasts a bit longer.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a similar problem at Simon Malls buying a $50 GC for the Amex Sync promo. DH's purchase went off without a hitch -- mine failed in the same way as OPs, above. Clerk spent 40 minutes on hold for AmEx, who finally told her to void the transaction and have me buy another. Hope the $10 AmEx credit comes through OK.

--update-- $10 credit came through just fine on both of our cards

Mikus33 likes this.
  3. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I 100% believe that this was a fluke for a couple of reasons. Just because FM mentioned that the 5x everywhere may end... he did not say that Chase would not let you purchase a gift card. If anything you would just not be awarded the 5x points. 2nd, it would be pretty stupid of chase not to allow the use of their Credit card to purchase gift cards. I think the majority of gift cards purchased at HD are for legit reasons... there is a large amount of us that do it to earn 5x points but there are plenty more who do it just because they actually need the gift card for a real reason. You're fine and I wouldn't worry one second about it having anything to do with Chase. More than likely it was on Office Depot's end...

Mikus33 likes this.