Isreali PM Netanyahu Takes Flak Over Bed On A Plane

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Netanyahu Takes Flak Over Bed On A Plane ||

Well done, Bibi.

Sweet Willie, mrx900 and sobore like this.
  2. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess he just didn't want to transfer Membership Rewards points into EL AL and pay fuel surcharges :D

uggboy likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    It’s interesting to think about this, on one hand I think "doesn't El Al likely have a decent first class offering"? Google and the airline site seems to agree:
    http://www.elal.co.il/elal/english/allaboutyourflight/premiumclasses/en_firstclass_050512.html
    https://www.google.com/search?q=el+al+first+class

But on the other side - this is a head of state, and we don't bat an eye at our US president flying around in Air Force One with some huge contingent of alternate transport gassed and ready to go at the same time – plus likely a huge amount of air support on the security side…

MX and uggboy like this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    True about AF1, however the report on the OP says this was a "charter". That makes me think that there is not a special plane already configured for him.

uggboy and MX like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a guess that Netanyahu didn't get the 3rd degree El Al pre-check interrogation like the Mrs & I did on an El Al flight from Cairo to Tel Aviv. I can laugh about it now but wow was it was a PITA experience.

SFOPeter, uggboy and MX like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That wouldn't fly in Israel (pun intended). I recall reading that their President Shimon Peres travels on gov't business with moderately priced commercial airlines, not El Al (to protest their high prices).
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...rael-president-peres-oxygen-tank-fee/688518/1

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd be surprised at how many heads of state/government don't have something similar to Air Force 1. The fact that Israel doesn't, considering their unique security situation, is mind-boggling.

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, the PM of Israel must charter a plane, there's a debate in the Israeli press that it would be cheaper in the long run when the government would simply buy a plane. Why the PM doesn't fly EL AL in First isn't clear either.

MX likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Inclusive of personal and campaign travel. :eek:

In fairness, considering the risks and demands of being president, providing private air transportation is a reasonable accommodation.

Gargoyle, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  10. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No previous president or prime minister of Israel did that, and 90 year old President Shimon Peres flies commercial business or first class. Israel has a lot of economic problems, a huge disparity between the few rich and the rest, just a few days ago tens of thousands took to the streets of Telaviv and Jerusalem in demonstrations against inflation and government raising taxes and cutting benefits etc. Well I guess the world has changed , governments are taking our money and freedom. I do not see any country where there still is real freedom.:eek:

uggboy likes this.
  11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're exactly right. In fact, considering the consequences to the country if something were to happen to him, I'd say it's a necessary accommodation. I don't get people who complain about the costs of this stuff. You can't stop being President when you go on vacation. I'm no fan of Obama, but he can't really "leave work at work" and the man deserves to be able to take a vacation (assuming he pays his share of the costs, however that part of it works). There are some people (now it's Republicans, when there's a Republican in office it's Democrats) who seem to think that the incumbent President and his family should be kept prisoners in the White House. And then those people would complain about the President cutting himself off from the people.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    on a side note that I've been curious about, anyone have a link to figures on Israel's government subsidies to the ultra-orthodox? please post or message me, thanks.

uggboy likes this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue was a huge expense for a 5 hour trip -not a 25 hour trip! It was also reported that he spends 3, 000 dollars a month at his favorite ice cream shop. Now I can't imagine he can eat that much, nut the point is that when the government is calling for others to sacrifice it looks really bad to have this kind of spending.

uggboy likes this.