Isn't Girl Scout cookie time just an annual milestone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by noname2, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bell rang...and they arrived! Girl Scout cookies are one of those annual passages we would truly miss. We freeze them so we gain oblige our guilty pleasure throughout the year. Those thin mints are to die for. Agree?

2. scoow
    Original Member

scoow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree! On both the Thin Mints & "would truly miss".

In fact, since I moved, I miss the twice-a-year availability. When I lived in STL, had coworkers from MO & IL. The states are in different GS districts and sell cookies at different times of year - one in the fall the other around now. Year round guilty pleasure with only half the freezer space. [​IMG]

3. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Score!
    Now I'm curious...what is YOUR favorite cookie?

4. scoow
    Original Member

scoow Silver Member

Status Points:
    My personal favorite is Thin Mints. (Especially yummy broken up & mixed into homemade vanilla ice cream.)

Though my favorite GS Cookie story involves Samoas (the coconut, caramel, whatever ones). One of my college roommates graduated & joined the Marine Corps. At GS Cookie time, she was in the midst of OCS and we had been warned not to bother sending a care package. Any food had to be tossed, shared with the entire platoon, or eaten at mail call. So, of course we sent a box of her favorite GS cookies and waited to hear the results. Didn't take long before we got a phone call. As expected, she ate the entire box at mail call. :D

5. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thin Mints, Yes!

6. I'm waiting for them to show up from one office, and waiting to order from another. Favorites: Thin Mints & Do-Si-Dos.

7. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got mine last week. Thin Mints and the Trefoils (Shortbread) are my faves!

8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Minidiver90 is a girl scout and mrsdiver90 is a cookie mom, so it's a main event around this household. We'll be back next January with a sign up sheet for all of you. [​IMG]

9. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My daughter is in her third year now (2nd year Brownie), so we get the cookies twice a year as well. We only get the mint ones in the fall, and the chocolate/vanilla half and half boxes in the spring. The mint ones aren't anywhere near as popular as the traditional cookies around here.

Do any of you order them in advance? My daughter brought home an order form a few weeks ago. Usually we just buy a couple cases when they come in, and sell them. I just think of them as more an impulse buy, and not something people plan ahead for. However, we also have a lot of fundraising requests between the kids' school, as well as from my son being in scouts (popcorn and trees), so I'm not so sure I want to go out and try to help her sell several dozen boxes of cookies when there is so much else to try to sell as well.

10. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the office environment. For example, there are multiple coworkers in the building that sell Girl Scout cookies and they all take orders. I buy from several coworkers just to spread the wealth around. Then if I need an additional fix I'll pick them up outside the supermarkets when they start tabling.

ben regelshore likes this.
  11. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our household policy has alway been if a child takes the initiative to get out to sell something, we at least place a minimal order/purchase. Maybe this makes us an easy mark but it also assures us no matter how hard it is to find us at home, we get our girl scout visit!
    So maybe we get a few items we otherwise wouldn't have purchased, homeless shelter benefits from these. [​IMG]

12. I was a sucker for the peanut butter patties, but they changed the name and the recipie, so I am back to thin mints