Islands of individualism

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by Jim, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed elsewhere there will be a separate forum for LGBT Travelers and I just shook my head in disbelief. The first thought that comes to my mind is a repeat of what has already been experienced; a celebration of differences versus the focus on the common. Instead of sharing information that all travelers can use; creating a pigeon hole repository for information defeats the underlying purpose of a travel community. For example... A post about XYZ Hotel in Someplace, USA refused service to a fellow community member because of a perception of sexual orientation would be some pretty valuable information for the entire community. Everyone I know would react with a "screw them, I will no longer patronize them." The other potential for a island of individuals would be a "separate meeting/meet up" and I would have to guess that if other meet-ups were limited to any other delimiter, it would be decried as out of bounds.
    I suppose it gets down to the fact that there are plenty of forums directed to sexual orientation and probably some gay or lesbian travel sites but the creation of an islands of special interests within a travel forum is the antithesis of the very definition of community.
    It seems as though, this separation in done under the basis of an assumption that the rest of the community doesn't care about an issue unique to an individual regardless of the basis of the issue; be it race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation. That is an awful assumption.

I just looked at the other internet bulletin boards I frequent: Ford Trucks, Sea Doo, Saab, & Boating; not one of them have a separate forum that is based on race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation. I happen to know a black lesbian who pulls her Bass Boat or Sea Doo with a Ford Truck when she is not driving her 9-3.

Original Member and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.

However, being a middle aged, straight, married, white, high income, male, I realize I cannot begin to understand the prejudice felt by those who do not fall into these categories. I have a very good friend, who happens to be a 67 year old black man (this is how he describes himself) who was raised here in the deep south. The stories he has shared with me are difficult for me to imagine. How members of the human race can treat others in such a way is very disturbing. Through conversation with him, I understand why there still remain "special interest" groups for minorities. If you have never been a minority or a member of an unacceptable group, you just don't understand. Since I do not understand, I am all for a separate group if that is what they desire.

I would appreciate any special group sharing with the entire community in the other relevant threads as I do not think I would be frequenting a LGBT thread.

3. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suppose there was a problem with a Hilton property. It the issue is relegated to a separate island forum what is the likelihood that a Hilton lurker or other Hilton customers would ever learn of it?

Original Member and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Jim, i suggest you don't try and look at the world from just your prism. I'm fairly comfortable that MilePoint will try and distinguish itself in the area of travel and more specifically that of the frequent flyer. While I own an F-150, have owned several Sea Doo's, sailed in the Chicago to Mackinac boat race and admired a friend's classic Saab 900, I remain open minded to the topics that evolve in travel. For instance, there is little doubt that TripAdvisor is the largest general purpose travel website in the world. As well, there is little doubt that FlyerTalk is the largest specialty travel website in the world for frequent flyers. Both of them have active forums for the general topic of gay travel:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12358-Gay_Travel.html
    I've only visited the GLBT forum on FlyerTalk once, and it did not serve my own needs for travel, but then, neither did the bidding for travel forums, the travel with kids and even the forum for JetBlue. Yet when i take a curious look at the statistics of that forum, i can see that it has deserved a place for its forum topic. For instance, did you know that of the 7 specialty travel forums on FlyerTalk, it has the largest number of posts? Did you know that it has 4 times the number of posts than AirTran? Did you know that it has nearly twice the number of posts than the JetBlue forum, 5 times more than the topic of cruises and about the same as the topic of dining. I've never looked at any forum from my own prism, i only look at them from the demand and proven ability to sustain the topic as conversational and worthy of knowledge or interest and apparently both TripAdvisor and FlyerTalk, leaders in their specific categories in the travel area, have been proven out for that as a travel topic. It is likely that i will only personally find 25% of all the forums on MilePoint to be of my interest. All the other islands of travel topics will have to do without me and I'm always happy knowing that there will really be others who find value in those topics. They don't need me to be valuable to someone else, nor do they need my specific blessing. But my guess is that while I prefer Holiday Inn to staying at the Four Seasons, the Luxury Hotels forum will do OK on its own. The best way to enjoy life and MilePoint is to participate in the things that you are interested in and don't begrudge the things others are interested in. I've kept this reply focused on the topic of travel, suggest you do the same. Thank you.

5. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG] You are welcome.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Traveling with pets or traveling with children , flying on One World, or LGBT travel don't apply to me, so I likely wouldn't visit such forums. But those subjects will have very specific issues that apply to them, things that people have good reason to explore and discuss. We need to create both specialized areas and cross-boundary areas.

It's just like in real life- I was just at a little strip mall with a Panera and a Starbucks. I don't go to Starbuck, but I go to Panera regularly- so I'm isolated in the Panera island, where I get to know many of the regulars (and irregulars). Both places serve valid purposes. The town then needs to develop activities in the town square which will attract both groups, so that we can mingle and discuss the greater community, but it also needs to encourage the success of Panera and Starbucks, because each contributes to the local economy and culture.

(although one could argue that a Yogurt store would contribute more culture)

Jeffie, Oiuyt and savydog like this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't a yogurt store also contribute to the destruction of culture?

flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, as with the proposed ol' folx playground, there's no reason why a forum that deals with the interests of a particular subpopulation must needs exclude nonmembers of that population. As far as yogurt goes, that's a bit of a fresh question.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't get then why Punki's request for a Senior Travel forum was met with such a blunt "no." But as with the other board, this isn't my sandbox so I guess I'll just sit back and watch how everything unfolds.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Rich, sorry if it read that way. In Punki's case as I stated,we really just need to lock down any new requests for new forums during the Beta so we can concentrate on the things that will be important just to get launched with. In Jim's post, i read it not as a request for a forum (as Punki's was) but rather as a statement of exclusion of a possible forum that actually does not exist on MilePoint right now and as in the same case with Punki, I won't even consider adding right now anyway give the impending launch date. As with both, they will each earn their privilege to have a forum based on the demand for such, but i certainly would not purposely exclude a forum if either ideas prove to be valuable. Both Senior's travel and GLBT travel exist on other forums, but do they exist for the demand of the member makeup on MilePoint, only time will tell. I read both posts differently thus the different answers and sorry to have sounded anything different. Consider just how many moving parts we have right now in tech and others things and I may not have the time to correctly put forth the most well intended reply. Hopefully once we get settled down ove the next few months i'll be able to re-address with a more coherent answer. Thanks.

2soonold, Gargoyle and flyingdawg like this.
  11. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a "friend" who tells me over and over how great the GLBT forum on FT has been. How many friends he has made, information specific to his 'lifestyle' gleened, while making contributions to others in need of info on Gay aspects of travel. Hopefully such a forum will be as successful on MP as it is on FT.

12. FWFDAN
    Original Member

FWFDAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another point - specific forums for "islands" allow information that some folks need/want to not be lost in the sea of information making it a bit less visible and useful to those who would be the most impacted or care the most...

13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Metamucil or Citrucel when flying?:)
    I held off on commenting about the appropriateness of a senior forum; and I was satisfied with Mr. Petersen's response.
    I am equally satisfied with his response to the idea of a LGBT forum.
    I never visited a senior forum on FT, but I did try a number of times to read the LGBT forum and found it boring, boring, and boring. I was very grateful there was a specific forum where those posts were most likely to appear.
    KY or Astrolube ?; does everybody really want to know what's in my luggage?

14. Jeffie
    Original Member

Jeffie Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some of us, yogurt is the only culture we got!

To get back towards the topic, I'm also in the category of 'not interested' when it comes to some of the suggested forums, but would happily recommend the forum to someone who may need to travel with a pet, a kid, or look for gay-friendly destinations. That could very well turn a one-off visitor into a valued contributor in other, more mainstream, areas. How would that be anything but win-win for MP?

mowogo and Gargoyle like this.
  15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do we, will we, have a women's forum? Not that I care a whole lot, but curiosity killed the cat and my avatar is in favor of that.

2soonold likes this.
  16. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there is a unique need for a place for GLBT issues and other subgroups. I don't believe in total seperation but there are certain types of things that minority groups have to concern themseleves with that don't have to do with the overall population. Take for instance people that fly AA don't want to know about UA typically thus the reason for sub forums by airlines.

Minority groups prefer to share information amoungest each other and in some cases it is this "minority" label that causes our travel to be different. Woman traveling to certain Middle Eastern countries have to dress and be received by certain people. For the LGBT community there are places outside the US and other more open and understanding cultures but there are still other cultures that may not accept LGBT believes and cause these travelres problems.

The travel industry is a huge industry and the majority of the travel magazines out there are aimed at all travelers regardless of personal differences. There are however travel magazines geared to women and to the LGBT community proving that there are sub-groups within the travel industry. In fact, there is a market for gay travel through out the world and many gay travel agencies. For these reasons alone I can see and understand and hope that we build a GLBT forum and other minority group forums here as a means for these travel needs to be meet.

DCtrAAveler and HiIslands like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a very thoughtful and helpful explanation.

From my narrow parochial view I observe the same phenomenon as Randy has mentioned. Here in Rio de Janeiro the city government was hugely criticized fro having a tourism plan specifically gor Gays. Few of the critics bothered to notice that the per capital expenditures of the GLBT community were about four times that of others, nor that the number of people in those categories outnumbered the others in inquiries and ended out as the second highest definable group.

IMHO, any group that is self-defined is potentially of interest for marketing. I do not care at all what the group may be. That is why milepoint can exist, and why a Delta or Hawaii or Luxury Hotel classification makes sense.

Sorry to belabor the issue.

FWFDAN and Gargoyle like this.