Island Hopper Questions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ella, Oct 21, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a milestone birthday coming up, and the Island Hopper is one of my bucket list trips. Hopefully those who have done this trip can offer tips/suggestions.

Trip will be from IAH so I will need a night in HNL. Is it worth going in to Waikiki (I'm not a beach person), or is there a hotel near the airport that's decent that provides shuttle?

Booking as a multi-city, I'm coming up with $2600+ fares in either February or March. I don't have enough miles to even cross the street, so that's not an option. Pricing as one-ways makes the price $200-300 higher. Am I missing anything here?

On the return from GUM, I can book through KIX with an 8 hour layover. Is there anything doable there in that amount of time? Another option is 7 hours in NRT, but I've already done that on the way back from AKL. Only other option showing is through HNL.

Thanks in advance for any tips !

8MiHi and Pizzaman like this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pizzaman likes this.
  3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can recommend a close, inexpensive hotel with shuttle. I've stayed a couple of times. It's not the Ritz or even close to a Holiday Inn but it is clean and has on on-site restaurant and separate lounge. The décor will remind you of the original Hawaii 50. My last stay was after my 6hour layover was extended an extra 12hours.

8MiHi and Pizzaman like this.
  4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, please ! As long as it's clean and feels safe I'm good with that. With only overnight and early departure, I don't need much luxury.

8MiHi and Dublin_rfk like this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a look at TripAdvisor for more info. Just bear in mind the photos look better than the real thing.
    PS: if you take the shuttle at night it can feel like you’re in the intro to a bad slasher flick. It’s on the edge of an industrial area.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HNL hotels are crappy but close to the airport. Waikiki are cleaner and traffic is minimal at 4a.

For cheaper pricing look around for tickets from the mainland (e.g. SFO/LAX) to HKG or MNL that allow the Hopper on the routing. GUM-HKG is definitely not daily; I forget about the MNL schedule. Should be able to save some cash that way. At least worth considering.

KIX is a short schlep to the city if you're up for entering Japan. If you have a return from HKG or MNL, however, the routing options will vary.

8MiHi, Steve GadFly and theblakefish like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'll look at those routings and see what I can come up with.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    ella and Dublin_rfk like this.
  9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.