Is use of a chase card required to earn points on Ultimate Rewards Mall?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jfhscott, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Ultimate Rewards Mall's "instructions" provides language instructing the user to use their card which makes them Ultimate Rewards eligible

What happens if one uses a different card?

tondoleo likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd still get the points I believe because FrequentMiler used his AMEX on the Staples software rebates and still got the points to post.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do not need the Chase card. I used an amex card for a purchase at Staples and got the UR Mall bonus. Just log into UR mall with your Chase userid and pw. You should be ok.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. iamapirate

iamapirate Active Member

Status Points:
    For the most part they post but I've had situations where some retailers won't post wether I'm using a Chase card or an Amex(Bloomingdales). And that takes away the option of asing for a courtesy credit.

5. Haloastro

Haloastro Active Member

Status Points:
    I just made a purchase online last week through the UR mall, but I paid with my Citi CC instead of my Chase CC. The correct number of UR pts./$ are showing as "pending."

6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, it will work for you just fine 99% of the time, but if there is a problem it is much less likely that Chase will give the points as a "courtesy adjustment". I have successfully done it dozens of times. ;)

7. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said in the other post - it works, but I still think it is wrong. There is some sort of implied understanding that you are going to use (at least) Chase card (if not the card connected to the UR) while shopping. No business will give you something for nothing, and the more people use it the more chances it will be blocked away (and frankly, it should). UR is pretty generous program as it is, I don't think it is right to try and milk more out of it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I assume the merchants pay a kick-back to Chase for the purchase. Or why you think the various airline malls that certainly don't have credit card restrictions exist? That said, Chase may be more generous because they assume to earn extra from your use of a Chase card.

Using that argument, why do they keep giving people rich credit card sign-up bonuses? ;)

autolycus likes this.
  9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not at all a fan of "scamming" systems or doing something that will harm anyone else, but I agree with HaveMilesWillTravel that all of these portals seem to get a commission off of the purchases you make through them (they certainly don't exist for the goodwill of the points community), so I don't really view the Ultimate Rewards portal as being substantially different. Of course they would rather you use a Chase card as that is a double win for them, but I think they are still doing okay even if you don't.

if they wanted to stop this, I have no doubt they could.

10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea how the business model will be for the airline malls (which in reality are operated by only 2 companies I believe). I'm sure there is some sort of kick-back from the merchants in those cases. For the banks mall, I am not sure how much of a kick-back there is - as the goal of the bank is to increase utilization of their own credit cards.

Because the are not giving it up for nothing - there is still required spending (on most cards) that would re-coup some of the costs, and not everyone is diligent in cancelling before the annual fee is due. Plus, most people actually use their credit card enough to allow the bank to give us those sign-up bonus.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If there wasn't a kickback, why wouldn't there be a flat points earning rate? The bank wouldn't care about the profit margin of the merchant. A dollar spent on magazines is as valuable to them as a dollar spent on clothing or iPads.

Yes, and that required spend is usually coming to the detriment of another card, often from the same bank. Or are you going to spend $3000 (or what not) that you otherwise wouldn't have spent just to earn the 50k points? I sure hope I don't get fooled into doing that :D But that's really a topic for another thread. Sorry for mentioning it here. I just wanted to make the argument that banks don't necessarily what seems easy and logical to prevent "scams" (in quotes because really it isn't one).

12. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct that with the banking industry consolidation in recent years, the minimum spend can easily come from the same bank. (And thus I wonder what will be the future of those sign in bonus as when it all said and done there are much fewer issuing banks now).

Again, I am not privy to the nature of the arrangement those shopping malls have with their merchants. Although I do not agree with your assumption that a dollar is a dollar - as the real costs differ between products (to take your example the "cost" of magazine is not the "cost" of an iPad to the merchant; some merchants goal is to increase net profit, some to increase volume, some to increase traffic). But that is neither here nor there.

And I just want to be clear - I don't think it is a "scam" at all. I was actually trying to find the T&C of UR - but I don't really think they have one for this instance. It is just something I, personally, think it wrong. It does not mean it is a "scam" or anything of the sort.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, exactly. But that's why I used that as an argument to support my claim that Chase earns money from merchant kickbacks. The magazine merchant can afford to pay Chase more (30 points/$?) than Lenovo (1 point/$).

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you said it was a scam (very sorry if that came across differently). I was talking in general terms -- it's up to the bank to enforce any terms and conditions. If they want to give people 50k UR points for moving spend from the Hyatt card to the Sapphire card, it's their choice. They have all the data they need and if they don't see the need to use it, for whatever reason, it's their choice. If they want to not bother enforcing any card brand restrictions for UR Mall purchases (if there are any), again it's their choice. Is it morally wrong to take advantage of this? I think that's been debated to death before.

(and for what it's worth, for my six or seven UR Mall purchases I have used my Sapphire card)

autolycus and jfhscott like this.
  14. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering, given your acknowledged uncertainty of how airline based shopping portals, and the Chase portal operate, what is the basis of your above conclusion that Chase's "goal" is to maximize utilization of their bank cards rather than the "goal" being receipt of commissions for click-throughs with the potential for use of their credit card being an ancillary benefit?

I will not be so bold as to claim to know what Chase's "goal" is, because, truly, I do not. I do infer, based the fact that points vary depending on the merchant, that there is a meaningful commission motive at work.

15. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'd be a fairly simple task for Chase to determine whether one of their UR cards was used while shopping through the portal and restrict the use of the portal to just those cards, especially since you have to log in to your chase account to use the portal in the first place. They'd literally only have to compare a single number to no more than 4-5 other numbers. I suspect, however, that while they would prefer you to use their card, the portal would be profitable to them no matter what, hence their lack of such a restriction. The Skymiles shopping portal also has lots of hints that you use your Delta-branded Amex, but it never says it is required in the T&C.

16. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know for a fact, but I make an assumption based on the core business function of the bank. I will the first to admit I might be wrong, but it seems to me that a bank would like to increase its core business activity (i.e., commission from credit card use), rather than create a new complete system of kick-backs. Which makes me wonder if Chase (and other banks) also "outsource" this activity, or is it truly chase created activity. Creating and maintaining such activities are not free. I assume this is the reason that the other shopping portals (airlines for example), are really outsourced and not run by the airline itself - it is too costly for them to do so. They merely sell the miles to the company who run those malls which in turn make a profit from the kick-back. But that is the core business of those companies.

Of course, every bit of profit matters; but in that vein, the bank should open it for everyone (they will figure out how to make a payment I'm sure), and not limit it to a very selected group of customers who happen to have the credit card the bank is pushing. The facts that it is indeed a close system, outside of the core business of the bank, make me conclude that the goal is to increase utilization, and the kick-back is only a side effect. I could be completely wrong of course.

I would not read much into the number of points given for each merchant as we do not know what agreement Chase has with them. What we do know that it is a competitive world and if a magazine vendor will get 15 points in one place, in order to have customers using the Chase portal they have to maintain a competitive edge, and cannot offer only 1 point bonus. It might, or might not, have anything to do with the kick-back they might get (or do they change the amercement agreement accordingly?).

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it's still true, but at least about two years ago UR Mall was run by Cartera.

http://www.cartera.com/newsevents/pressreleases/20091125.html

I don't see Chase listed on Cartera's client page at

http://www.cartera.com/clients/index.html

but that may not mean much. They could have also switched to one of Cartera's competitors.

18. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    in terms of purchase protection, does anyone know which cards are safest. So many CCs gets confusing.
    I have read that AMEX gold card protection is very helpful. Does the Sapphire Visa provide similar protection?