Is United's system changing anyone else's seat?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Traveling Cub, Sep 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Cub

Traveling Cub Active Member

Status Points:
    Howdy - I just joined, and this is my first post.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I book flights, and select economy plus seats at the time of ticketing (I'm a 1K).

It happens most often on UAX flights where the only economy plus seats are the bulkheads and exit row (thing E135).

I am ALWAYS in 1A. Reserved several weeks in advance

72 hours, or there abouts, I am moved to the last row of economy, and my economy plus seat is occupied.

Check in at T24, and the seat still shows occupied. Then, all of the sudden, 1 hour prior to departure, the seat opens up. (I keep checking the seatmap on the iPhone app because I am obsessed with sitting in that seat.) Also, all the other economy plus seats open up, and are empty (row 3, and exit rows).

Is this really a system glitch? Does it happen to anyone else?

Could United claim it is a 'glitch', when really they dump everyone out of those seats and block them to elites in an attempt to sell the seats at check-in then open them up to elites if when they don't sell?

I am not trying to stir stuff up, or point fingers... It just seems really weird.

Thanks - Glad to be here.

ronmiller10 likes this.
  2. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always reserve 12A on the ERJ145's and have never had a problem with losing my seat assignment (I'm also a 1K). Are you booking these flights and assigning these seats on united.com or a 3rd party site?

3. Traveling Cub

Status Points:
    United.com

It is really strange. Even after I notice, and change my seat to something OTHER than the last row, it says the change was made successfully, but the website and app still show me in the last row, but the seat I selected occupied. It is really strange.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    weird....not sure what to tell you about that one.

5. Traveling Cub

Status Points:
    Thanks. It is strange.

:cool: *sigh* I'll continue to obsess and seat map stalk.

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only Copa has been chronically guilty of doing that to me. Their website is not nearly as polished as the UA site, but it still doesn't explain why 80% of my seat selections are changed after booking and confirmation. I have learned to keep checking - obsessively - until I can do OLCI and get my desired seats printed on a valid boarding pass. It's a real PITA, as I fly Copa at least once/month. Or I did until Taca/Avianca joined *A. I'll soon learn what they offer to whine about. ;)

7. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it happen where seat assignments have been changed around by the system. Not with me perhaps, but recently was on a flight where an older couple supposedly had selected the two other seats in my row. When they checked in however, they found that the wife's middle seat had been changed to a seat in the back of the plane. A deadheading pilot was assigned her old seat. The husband still had his aisle seat in eco + and he was Premier Gold. The pilot acknowledged that "it happens" and he agreed to switch with the wife to give her the seat back. Not really sure why it happens to you on a constant basis.
    With me I find it intersting that even though many or most of the seats available in eco + may yet be unoccupied, except someone is ALWAYS sitting next to me already in the middle seat or aisle seat on the 777. I'm wondering if the seat isn't getting blocked off until closer to the actual flight time but? Can't figure out why. Or, am I being stalked? lol. Just today I noticed this on several of my upcoming flights and some are a few months away yet. I changed a few seats to areas that are yet unoccupied and will be checking off and on to see how fast the seat next to me then becomes occupied, or if the previous seats go open again. Always a fun time with "shares". ;)

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per TOBB, it's apparently most common on ERJs.

9. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it be they want to keep those rows open until the last minute and fill them if they absolutely need to on those RJ's? I've noticed before where they've had them unoccupied, especially row 1 or like to change people out of them if they can, when flights aren't full anyway?

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's for W&B usually...

The Boat likes this.
  11. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    And then it comes down to the UAX operator, as each regional operator has some quirks that differentiate it from its peers.

12. Traveling Cub

Status Points:
    Usually though, in my experience, if the seats are blocked, you can't select them in the first place, and row 1 (single seat side) and row 3 (2 seat side) are the bulkheads, and can be selected. W & B people are always moved once the number of passengers is confirmed, no?

At any rate, for my flight this Thursday, I'm in 1A (Of course, I check first thing in the morning). So, now the obsession kicks up a notch, for it is sometime between now, and Tuesday that the switch-a-roo occurs.

dildooba44 likes this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use awardwallet to track my accounts, and probably 2-3 times a week i get an email saying my itineraries have changed and it it always due to seat assignment issues with United. annoying.

14. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same thing happened to my parents last week on an international flight. On the day of online check-in, their seats were suddenly separated. When I called on their behalf to sort it out, the rep indicated Shares wasn't communicating correctly with online view, so he re-seated them and literally waited for me to finish the online check-in process to ensure their new seats stuck. After online check in, I could still see their old separated seats when pulling up the itinerary online. I'm so glad no-one in my family, including me, has any more United flights on the books for now. Too much hassle.

15. ronmiller10

ronmiller10 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me on several occasions. I have had to change my seats back to the original seat sometimes 3 times prior to my flight before it sticks.. United rep said it is a glitch in the system.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

16. kilo

kilo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar situation 3 weeks ago, except that it happened after online check-in. Me and my son had cleared CPU days earlier, I selected my seats then and then checked in online about 24 hours earlier. Because I was in such a hurry, I never noted our boarding passes printed at the airport had us in separated seats. I was only aware of the change on getting on the plane. Our emailed BP's on my phone still had the evidence of our original seats. the person that was in one of our original seats had also cleared CPU

airshadow likes this.
  17. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    happened to me about 3 months ago. I had booked an aisle exit row seat and was moved to a middle seat in the row behind the bulkhead, fortunately about 15 hours before the flight, I was checking upgrade status and noticed the change. I called and they moved me back to an exit row..... eventually I got the upgrade.... so no harm, no foul

18. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen that happen if you change seats on-screen and then go back to take a look. It seems to take a while (15-30 minutes?) for the seating program to figure out what has happened. It does seem to work correctly though after it has chewed and digested your new selection.

19. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had seats that I couldn't change online for international and each time it took about 30 minutes with 1k person (who also couldn't change it and make it stick so they had to call a supervisor)!

20. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had it happen a few times on mainline UA a few weeks after the SHARES integration, not had it since.

On UX, it has happened to me a few times. On the EMB-120, where I always select my favorite seat, only to see it changed. As recent as June, haven't flown on a 120 since (coincidence, not avoiding because of that).