Is United reading this? American Airlines lets passengers book a seat and reserve a meal

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tamviv, Oct 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tamviv

tamviv Active Member

Status Points:
  2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're guaranteed your choice of the crappy domestic F meals? And this is supposed to be a good thing? :eek:

brfong and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    better than NO choice, esp if u don't eat whatever choice is left;)

HiIslands and LIH Prem like this.
  4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't eat any choice. McAirline needs to hurry it up a bit.

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like it's only going to be on AA's sort-of premium tcon/midcon routes. It's being rolled to their flagship LAX-JFK first, where there's already premium catering.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have to try it out somewhere first to see how it goes.

To me, I'm not salivating over some airline meal, it's the fact that AA is TRYING is what I find more interesting.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

It is a nice move to improve the customer experience. Sure, it is only on two routes today but if it proves successful I'm betting they expand it. The question really becomes one of logistics and if they can delivery it reliably to the folks who use it. Happier customers and reduced waste are a good thing. Just gotta figure out if they can actually do that or not.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to book row 2 (I don't like bulkheads) whenever possible for this reason. It's not the quality of the food that I am seeking, but the option of a meal most closely in line with my diet. It is not at all unusual that one meal works for me while the other option doesn't. It would be great to have my choice reserved in advance. I often fall asleep and lose out on the option even when I'm near the front. Waking up hungry with leftovers that don't work stinks.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Current system. F cabin with 6 passengers. Available for serving will be, e.g., 3 beef + 3 fish plates. If 4 passengers desire beef, one will be out of luck.

New system. F cabin with 6 passengers. 3 pre-order beef, 3 did not pre-order. How many beef and fish plates does the caterer deliver in addition to the pre-orders for that flight? Is there any saving? What gives?....

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are actually things that are eatable on both UA and AA, I'm sure you've seen folks eat food on the planes ;)

I'd eat the United cereal any day, but United only loads around 3-5 of that options and if you're not in row 1, your chances to get the cereal are slim to none.

Also, if you're a vegetarian, your chances to get the vegetarian options they load on most flights, are also slim to none if you're not all the way in the front.

Ye ol' United had special meals options available on most UA domestic flights, unfortunately they decided to lower the service down to Continental level

So I welcome this option. I hope the trial is good and that they add it to more AA flights in the future :)

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for the cereal breakfast. By far my favorite domestic meal on UA.

hulagrrl210 likes this.