Is UA still swapping A319s and A320s?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by milepig, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to see 319/320 swaps fairly frequently, but not so much recently. My UDU cleared for TPA-ORD but the only seats available were Row 1 or Row 3. I much prefer Row 3, but I've seen row 3 bumped back to Y in the past when they used a 319 instead.

Any current reports?

2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a 319 --> 320 swap on Sunday. I was all ready to VDB since it was over as a 319, but that was no longer needed. Fortunately the swap got me the upgrade.

Also had a 320 --> 319 swap about a week ago. Got a VDB on that one.

3. I always get screwed on equipment changes. I lose exit row seats, Even ended up in middle seats a few times. (not on UA)
    Plane swaps seem much more common now for loading, maintenance and other reasons. Its also a lot harder since there aren't planes sitting idle too often.

What I don't find is specifics on future reservations. Maybe its me or I just don't know what I am doing. I get notified there is an equipment or schedule change, but I don't know which segment it is. I go through every seat map and normally figure it out from that. (of an issue that matters to me)

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't book exit rows on the A319 or A320. The A319 exits aren't so great (unless you like the window), and there are two variants of the A320, so if they interchange those, you could get messed up. Honestly, I wouldn't even know if they swapped the 320 types, as I'm always in F or an ordinary E+ seat that would work on either aircraft.

Once I learned that lesson a couple years ago, I haven't had any equipment swap problems on UA, and they've often turned out like the situations above -- an unexpected upgrade clearing, or an unplanned VDB because the flight is all of a sudden really full.

I've found equipment swaps to be more problematic on other carriers where there isn't a E+ cabin, and maintaining exit rows is more critical.

5. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:

On the A320/A319 in my opinion row 6 is a safer choice, on the A320 it has more legroom than the ext row and it exists on both planes.

6. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too do not select ER seats on 319/320s. Had a swap on a redeye and lost my ER but luckily the GA blocked the middle for me.

7. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    This past weekend I did IAD-SFO and SFO-IAD on A320s in 6F/6A and was pretty comfortable. 6C on an A319 RNO-SFO was also fairly spacious. So selecting row 6 seems like a good choice in order to still be comfortable after an equipment swap.

Also, I like that the armrests are fixed in place. That puts an upper bound on the size of the person next to me.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  8. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My SOP to stay on top of potential 320->319 swaps is to do the following:

• Watch my itins like a hawk (expand to see flight details which show the equipment as in some cases even with a swap, your seat assignment will not change )
    • OLCI and check my seat assignments & seat maps in the process
    • Re-hatch my bp's from an airport chicken as soon as I arrive (and check my seat assignments & the seat map in the process) as this has saved me when there has been an overnight a/c swap
    • Check the video screen at the gate and ask the g/a if there has been a last minute swap

Hannaman likes this.
  9. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed - a far-underrated benefit of exit rows & bulkheads.

10. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, re. the OP's question: Yes, swaps still happen. But when they happen now, official procedure is that the pax who are downgraded from F are done so in reverse order of: 1) Paid F, 2) Status, 3) Fare Class. I'm not going to promise you that's how it would be done every time, now, but I have seen it happen (not to me, but on same plane) where on a 320-->319 swap, three of the four people in row 3 kept their F seats (and were relocated to rows 1&2) due to higher status than those in rows 1 and 2.

Hannaman likes this.
  11. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's because of the level of effort needed for this that I just pick an E+ row on the Airbii and leave it at that. :)

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get swaps from 320s to 319s all the time.

Granted, the downgrade from F to E+ can't be solved by this, but the exit rows could easily be fixed by standardizing the seat numbers so that the exit rows always have the same number, regardless of the aircraft. CO did this with its narrow body fleet last year (the 737s were already mostly consistent; now all 737s and 757s have the same numbers in the exit rows) and it really helps. If you've booked the exit row window on a 319 and the plane becomes a 320, you'll still have an exit row window if the seat numbering is consistent. Hopefully that's something that will happen as the merged airline starts to standardize cabin seating arrangements.

Freddie Listo and tjtenor4 like this.
  13. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    But, unless I'm being dense, if a UDU comes through and you're put into Row 3 on the 320, and they later get swapped for a 319 you don't get your original seat back. Isn't that lost when the UDU comes through??

14. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, downgrades are supposed to happen in reverse order, not by seat assignment.

That said, yes, in a downgrade situation, it would be difficult to secure your original seat. I'm sure they would do whatever they could to secure you a good seat, though, if you're a statused downgraded customer.

My point was that it's too much effort to watch and keep that Exit Row seat in the even to a swap (especially since there are two variants of the A320 which swap frequently), I don't think the effort is worth it if there's an E+ seat available. But that's a personal choice.

15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add if it swaps to where you end up in e- and there are no e+ seats left? Or it swaps to still in e+ but a window vs aisle? For me and my comfort, I'll do the extra effort :)

16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought rows 10 & 11 are the exit rows on A320, so what are the A320 variants? Does row 6 really have as much room as the A320 exit rows? I had a row 11 exit on A320 Ted plane, and it was great.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they still happen. I was on a 320->319 swap on Wed.

It's good to hear that there is now a status-based downgrade algorithm, I'll stop taking row 1 on Airbii now when 2 is full.

Also, ssullivan is right...the CO solution to the seat number issue was a smart one and really makes life easier when flying their metal. Hopefully new UA/CO continues this common-sense policy.

ssullivan likes this.
  18. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had an exit row on an A320 (still 2P), but row 6 is big enough that the window can get out without the middle and aisle having to get up.

19. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some A320s have 10 and 11 as the exit rows; some have 11 and 12.

20. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    Do all 320 and 319 bulkhead rows have underseat storage? that has been my priamary reason for avoiding bulkhead is sometimes there is no place to put your backpack.

21. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most UA Airbuses have under-seat storage in row 6. I believe there are still a few exceptions, but I haven't been on an Airbus that didn't in a couple of years.

22. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So the best way to ensure an exit on an A320 is to book row 11.

23. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the problem with that is, row 11 doesn't recline on the A320s with 11 and 12 as exit rows.

24. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not rely on simply booking row 11! Look at your seat map on your itinerary and book the second of the two exit rows on your 320 as depending on the version of the 320, it could be row 11 or 12. If you book row 11 on the version with 11 & 12 as they exit row, you will either not recline or have limited recline similar to the version with exit rows 10 &11 and row 10 having limited recline or no recline at all. Also, once booked, keep very sharp tabs on your itin and look at your actual seat assignment as you may get swapped to "the other version" and never know it until day of flight

chitownflyer and Freddie Listo like this.
  25. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Goalie, do both exit rows on the varying UA A320 configs(10&11 or 11&12)have lots of room as on the A320 Ted planes?