Is UA reducing the number of F seats on 73G to 8?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by cova, Sep 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight next year on an UA 737-700 (CO) - and it now only shows 8 F seats on the seat map?

Flight still shows as a 737-700 (not a 319).

I thought UA said they were not cutting F with introduction of E+ to the CO fleet.

2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No announcement of a reduction in F seats has been made. The 73G fleet is mostly converted to E+ now with 12 F seats intact.

I really hope there's no change here. I wonder if this is a case of the 73G type being used as a placeholder for a possible change to a 319 later?

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it really surprise anyone if such a change were to be sprung on us with little or no warning? I can see UA Insider's post now. It would start with, "Later this evening we’ll be making a change..."

4. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the SFO-DCA nonstop flight. Check out the seatmaps for next year. Some believe this is a seatmap glitch.

If could be they are planning to swap it to a 319, but it still says 737-700. The IAD-LAX flights are 319s - so maybe the DCA-SFO nonstop isn't selling that well. AA on its new DCA-LAX nonstop is using a 757.

UA continues to reduce flights in the DCA/IAD/BWI area and reducing the size of the aircraft. BWI is now down to 2x BWI-IAH. Used to be 5 or 6 a day. Transcons are now 319 out of IAD. Where as the DL fleet at DCA now has many 757's.

5. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    That might very well be the case. With the "faux" 73G layout (8F, with 1 row completely gone) and row 14 blocked and row 32 blocked on the 319 the two aircraft should be directly interchangable (disregarding those customers who'd have to move between rows 14 and 32 of course) as the seating capacity remains the same, er, "same".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a benefit we know you will like!

TAHKUCT and snod08 like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like sometime after 12/20 there's a clear change in the aircraft type on UA102, even though in both cases they're showing 737-700.

Left is now until mid December, right is after.

ua102.PNG

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must have missed the announcement:

"Later this evening we’ll be making a change on united.com that will remove the ability to see the specific aircraft name. I know that this is a popular feature for many of you here – in fact, we liked it too. But, it wasn’t without issues. Specifically, for many customers who are not as familiar with the ins and outs of different aircraf types, there was often room for this information to be misinterpreted. It also left the door open for undesired exposure that allowed automated scripts to scrape and re-display information in ways for which it was not intended."

9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other good starting lines:
    "Later this evening, we'll be re-aligning our domestic premium cabins..."
    "Later this evening, we'll be right-sizing our domestic premium cabins..."
    "Later this evening, we'll be rationalizing our domestic premium cabins..."

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAD-West Coast flights have had a LOT of 319s for years. UA was doing that years before the merger.

As for BWI-IAH, that's a huge reduction.

Posting in the pointy end of the plane with a Samsung Galaxy S III using Milepoint.

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO-BWI is regularly a 319, too.

12. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    The point is that UA is applying for these very restricted slots at DCA and is putting in a small aircraft (DCA-SFO). Did UA really need that slot if demand is not that great? On the other hand AA put a 757 on its new slot for DCA-LAX.

UA is reducing capacity at DCA and BWI while others are increasing it. Why is UA losing customers and AA/US/DL gaining? While DL traded some slots at DCA to US they are making up for it with many 757s on the ATL routes.

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown that twice and managed to get the last UDU on this route.

14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    BWI-SFO is showing as a 739 and 320. Does UA believe there is more premium traffic at BWI than DCA?

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BWI has a bigger Runway so therefore they're able to use the 739 for operational performance, I believe the A319/B73G is the preferred performance they can do out of DCA to the West Coast. However the 752 does have the best operational/payload performance in the United fleet for a mission like this.

16. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS uses a 738 for its DCA-LAX amd DCA-SEA nonstops. So UA could have used a 738.

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many threads on this board have topics related to things people are enjoying? How much GOOD press has there been for UA this year?

If I had a friend starting to travel and wanting advice on which FF program to lock into, it would be a rare scenario for which I would recommend UA. They have two positives, IME. The employees may be lost with all the IT changes they have had thrown at them, but 99% of them that I deal with are incredibly friendly and professional. This will change as they get worn down by all the legitimate complaints they receive for which they can do little or nothing for the complaining passenger. It's hard to keep your chin up when so many passengers are angry, even if they aren't mad at the agent. The latter is something that many have trouble differentiating - both passengers and employees.

The other benefit is the enormous size of UA's own system and how it is multiplied by the number of good *A partner airlines. It's hard to find a place I can't earn or use miles when traveling.

Again IME, AA/US/DL aren't any better, but they are benefiting from the huge numbers of UA pax who are totally miffed by all the passenger-unfriendly policy changes and reduction of over-entitlement. The other airlines may also have an advantage in having a smaller number of members in their FF programs, as the marriage of CO and UA resulted in more Premiers than anyone could ever expect to be served as they were before the merger. Even if drSL hadn't tried so hard to show his power to abuse us, the numbers were working against us from the day they merged.

Pros and cons. Everyone has to measure them on their own scale. For me, I don't currently see any greener grass. <-This is NOT an endorsement of UA, but rather a feeling that I'm better off staying where I already have tons of miles and status than to start over - again. I left AA, and haven't looked back, but I did pay a price in terms of MM likelihood at my age. I "might" make it one day, but it will probably be so worthless by then that it won't matter. At least that's what I tell myself. Had I stayed with AA, however, it would have been a lock. Yeah... They really ticked me off but good.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They also could use a 752. I even think a 763 can operate from DCA reliably. Doesn't mean they should. Just because a runway is long enough to handle a particular aircraft type doesn't mean it is the "right" one to operate a particular route.

Flyer1976 likes this.