Is UA Keeping CO's partnership with Virgin Atlantic?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA191, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO usually has great reward availability for Virgin Atlantic.
    Is UA keeping the partnership with Virgin after the merger?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of yet unknown. One of many.

3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is some evidence that VS may join *A (esp. since SQ is a minority owner). And apparently VS has put in an offer for BD (just posted at 744's blog http://boardingarea.com/blogs/lufthansaflyer/2011/12/12/lufthansa-confirms-virgin-atlantic-is-still-a-contender-for-bmi/), which also might make VS more likely to join *A. However, this is still somewhat speculative. And even if VS joins *A, there is a possibility that they might not continue the code-share agreement (e.g. have CO flight numbers on VS flights and vice-versa).

hulagrrl210 and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Codeshare matters less than FF reciprocity for me.

Even if VS buys BD - and that seems unlikely - that won't happen before OnePass goes away at the end of the year (or in Q1 '12).

If the Amtrak partnership dissolution can be seen as any indicator - and I believe it can - then the VS partnership is dead. The new United doesn't need it for access to LHR and the partnership doesn't really open up any new destinations ex-LHR either. I'd be quite surprised to see it survive.

yaychemistry likes this.
  5. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Amtrak partnership will survive, but it will go away momentarily while they finalize things with MileagePlus. I am still planning on moving over 50K CO miles to AGR since I really want to do a cross country trip on Amtrak :)

The codesharing will continue and UA-to-Amtrak flights will be added come March.

For the VS partnership, it is going to be tough and VS needs CO/UA more than CO/UA needs VS. Also, I am not sure if the UK courts will allow BA to purchase BD without significant concessions.

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    SBM 12, have you seen a map

VS flies to, among other places, LHR-CPT, DXB, etc etc

No access to LHR?!!?!

With BD going, gone, this will no longer be a star alliance airport. Everything may have to connect through Lufthansa Groupe

Quasiconvexity and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking CO award availability into mid/late 2012, VS still shows up, although after my VS UC flight this past weekend, I don't think I'll be in a rush to repeat my VS experience anytime soon. (At least compared with CO's BF, that is ;))

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have. I even know that I don't use that name on this community. :rolleyes:

Which destinations does VS fly to from LHR that cannot be better served for UA/CO via the ATI deal with LH or through their own metal?

:confused: Huh? UA/CO has something like a dozen daily frequencies in and out of LHR. There are only a couple cities in the USA (LAS, MCO, MIA, what else??) that VS offers that UA/CO doesn't already have covered. And those aren't necessarily markets that UA/CO needs VS to serve for them. Without knowing the terms of the deal it is nearly impossible to say what the value of the relationship is.

It never was a long-haul *A airport.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    May be a moot point if LH sells bmi to VS and VS joins *A (fingers crossed)

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the Stars align (pun intended), maybe it will be a long-haul *A airport if VS joins. :)

LETTERBOY and JLSocks like this.
  11. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it seems like MCO, LAS, and MIA may be more leisure destinations for UK pax, rather than the type of market UA really needs to run.

I'd sure like to see them join *A or at least keep up the relationship with UA. Time will tell.

hulagrrl210 and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I certainly wouldn't mind, particularly as they seem to have ample UC award inventory. But I don't expect that the FF relationship will survive the new year.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do those matter to a US based airline trying to be profitable that already flies to DXB and has a partner that goes from the US to South Africa (JNB) from either one of its hubs (IAD) or another airport in the same city as one of its hubs (JFK/EWR)?

14. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally need on occasion to go from LHR to other places. I would prefer to do that ALL ON STAR ALLIANCE.
    as I HATE AA. I don't mind BA actually, but I would take Virgin over BA. Having a carrier that is based in LHR is helpful. (its a major city FGS)

With BMI gone, going - that is going to be harder.

As much as the Germans would love me to connect on the continent, that isn't always practical. So I end up "sleeping with the enemy".

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, but you cannot do that today on *A in most cases either.

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    BMI does a nice job (not great) of covering some emeging markets.
    LHR-DME is one of my favourties.

I think to be a true global alliance of you need to have a hub carrier at all the major cities of the world, where people do business. Major markets and global financial centers.

Mainland europe, Japan (NRT), Asia are very well covered. Would be nice if Star had LHR too ( a major finanicial center in Europe might I add)

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But none that VS serves. I'm really not sure how the two are so closely intermingled.

Which alliance can do that? None by my count. And *A is closest. By far.

18. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the sake of completeness, VS flies to the following non-UACO airports from LHR: MIA, BOS and JFK (I know that's NYC but so many people would rather do JFK than EWR). It serves MCO and LAS from LGW, reflecting their leisure status.

I have no doubt that the UK competition authorities would far prefer a BD merger with VS, rather than BA/IB. However BD now has such a strange combination of destinations that I can't see it being a particularly good feeder for VS. Of course, with the slots, the planes, the staff and the will-power that could change but, as it stands today, it's difficult to see BD being a good fit for anyone.

VS alone joining *A and also joining the TATL revenue sharing with UA/CO might make good sense but just joining *A alone still leaves VS without adequate feed into its long-haul operation. My guess is that it will go with SkyTeam.

meFIRST likes this.
  19. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    And at the end of the day, BA/AA would rule LHR. Expect fares to rise without the competiton.

Though the European argument is that LH does the same at FRA

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SkyTeam doesn't provide any better feed to VS at LHR than *A could. And AA/BA is going to dominate LHR whether they have the BD slots or not.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which so far seems something the UK authorities aren't going to prevent or discourage...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    i hope VS stays in the codeshare or better yet joins *A. even as a choice out of ORD, having VS for award redemption will be a change to UA

23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might be somewhat related, but Virgin Atlantic is offering Flying Club Silver to American Express Platinum cardmmebers after 1 round trip. Discussion here.

24. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! In tangential news, I just received a huge, personalized (though computer-printed) holiday card from VS, sent via international priority mail. Now that's impressive.

Never received any cards/greetings from an airline, except birthday greetings from WN...but their cards (in keeping with their low-frills) are not nearly as nice as the VS card just received.

image-3225149846.png

image-1361453615.png

TAHKUCT likes this.
  25. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a very nice gesture. Did you fly a lot on VS this year?