Is Traveling Better down?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSPeconomist, Nov 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please accept my apologies, but I don't know where to post this. It's most likely to be seen by someone who will know here, in the AA forum.

When I go to the traveling better website, the home page opens as usual, but when I click on forums, I get something I've never seem before. An almost entirely blank page appears with a little blank box titled "vBulletin Message." Clicking again one level up on Traveling Better Forums at the top of the page just re-loads the "vBulletin Message" page.

A certain other website running on vBulletin seems unaffected.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also for me. Recently many of the threads on the AA forum there were removed and JonNYC indicated that he would explain why they were removed. Not sure if that explanation came out before the whole forum disappeared, but it seems there are some changes going on there. Not sure what that means though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't notice those changes or any announcement and I think I was last there briefly about a week or ten days ago.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This was either yesterday or the day before. Short time frame.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Active Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same thing about TB and came here since JonNYC occasionally posts here...

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    +1

As of last night the AA Forum on TB had all the posts/threads that came after October removed, except for his comment that something would be later explained to us, and except for a new post from him offering to gift (or exchange?) someone miles, for QR I think?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    TB's AA Forum is back. But now aside from the recent thread inquiring what happened to the current threads, and Jon's answer that he'll "try to provide a fuller picture shortly", and his QR miles offer, there are no threads/posts from 2012.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not trying to create a big mystery but also not able at this point in time to provide much more info. The news is mostly-- if not entirely-- bad. I'm sure people have noticed in recent weeks/months that the info flow on TB has gone from a flow to a trickle to basically now a dead stop.

I also found in a few instances that since I wasn't able to get recent updates on things as they changed (since AA specifically didn't want me to have/share same) it tuned out that some info I had posted that was originally correct no longer was (example that comes to mind is "stickers from who's account when 2 elites traveling together.") So, what happened was a few people were (and still are) relying on my info as "dead solid" ( a very hard-earned, long-term reputation that I was/am quite proud of) and were quoting it-- but were/are as it turns out, relying on and quoting incorrect/outdated information. Frankly it was a shitty position to find myself in and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel a bit resentful, embarrassed and angry that I was left in that position after years of hard work trying to help people with AAdv stuff.

Not to be overly dramatic, but that felt like an embarrassment of sorts since it was always the case that if I posted something you could bank on it. Period. As small examples started to come out that my once-solid info was, in a few (but ever increasing) cases, dubious, I decided to go back to only the info I could be proud of and that was "worthy" of the esteem many people held TB info in. To me that decision makes sense-- more and more as each day passes. And especially as things I was never supposed to find out about (see below) have been brought to my attention about certain parties within AA. Using great restraint here..

I have several new folks who would be veritable treasure-troves of AAdv info but would/can never allow their info to be shared so publicly-- nor would I wish to expose them to what some other have been through. So, down the road-- unless something very dramatic happens to reinvigorate TB (and I'd say the odds of that are approx 0)-- I may set up a private site visible to only those who are "known" (that certainly includes everyone who has posted in this thread and probably most current TB members.)

I have also left the AA EXP facebook group for similar (and some other) reasons.

THANKS for all the support and kind words!

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry things are in a rough patch. Thank you for all your knowledge and contributions to everyone and the community. In the opinions of many you are an expert in all things AA and I hope you will still be here on MP and elsewhere going forward.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear, and looking forward to seeing whatever future projects you decide to work on. A few mistakes do nothing to tarnish the amazing history and legacy you've built. Hope you don't fade away. I and certainly many others enjoy having you around.

11. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you should consider a smaller invitation-only forum. Start with a small selected group. Each person can nominate someone and after a pro and con discussion you can decide whether to invite them. At no stage will the forum be open to public, google searches, etc., and strangers will not be able to just sign up. This may cut down much of the grief. Of course, AA's love-hate relationship with those who help and promote them is an entirely different matter. :)

JAbrams72, jbcarioca, Sagy and 2 others like this.
  12. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    A M E N

13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is not an entirely new idea.

Aktchi and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn. Then I can't patent it and get rich. :)

jbcarioca and JonNYC like this.
  15. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:

Sorry to hear this. I am a long time lurker on you site and have often found it to be the best source of info for AA related matters.

jbcarioca and JonNYC like this.
  16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the thoughts expressed in the quoted post, but wanted to quibble with the term mistakes, since, if I understand the situation (not saying I do), it's not that Jon made any mistakes, but that information that was accurate became outdated and Jon either wasn't given updated information or wasn't allowed to publish it, meaning his choices were to either allow now-incorrect information to remain visible, post a disclaimer that the information may be no longer true, or delete it.

Aktchi, jbcarioca, Sagy and 1 other person like this.
  17. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate the kind words and votes of support. Appreciate your quibble as well-- but might quibble both ways :) They weren't mistakes per se, but since I was always very vocal is saying that my info was direct, confirmed and "from the source," with my present lack of ability to maintain that info, I should have realized sooner that it was only a matter of time before there would be problems. SO, it caused others to essentially quote incorrect (or, really, incomplete) info, and that caused the exact opposite of what I'd had always been able to do-- correct bogus rumors, wrong speculation, etc.

It's one of the reasons I was so vocal in recent months about those so wantonly using what was clearly my info without attributing it-- it cause incorrect/outdated info to become intertwined with the 99% of my info that people were relying on that was still correct.

anabolism, Aktchi, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough, though I feel it's a quibble that might be largely semantic. Whether one calls it a mistake, a misstep, or an unfortunately situation, it still does nothing to tarnish the hard earned reputation Jon enjoys. :)

19. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed-- let's not let small semantical differentiations get in the way of this. :D

Aktchi, jbcarioca, anabolism and 2 others like this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your sense of integrity, Jon!! I'm always glad to see folks maintain a standard. :)

Aktchi, jbcarioca, JonNYC and 2 others like this.
  21. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean FT is not the best source of AA related information?? :eek:

22. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, its a good place for petty bickering, though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. rdp

rdp Active Member

Status Points:
    Odd that information regarding TB is posted here but not on TB.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. zachary

zachary Active Member

Status Points:
    I registered at this site when it began but haven't posted before. I just want to add my words of appreciation for everything you've done for those of us who have used the information that you've supplied over the years, Jon. The amount of time you spent helping people -- completely for free -- is really amazing. I have a feeling that if I knew the whole story, like the truth about how you've helped people caught up in audit situations, that I'd be even more amazed. I wish that AA could see that what you have done over the years has helped their brand tremedously and inspired a lot of loyalty among its customers. While I know that AA doesn't care about me (I don't even deserve 1 eagle given the el cheapo fares that I've purchaed over the years), there are a lot of premium customers that you have helped.

Thanks again and I'll probably keep clicking on TB -- it's going to be a hard habit to break.

25. justageek
    Original Member

justageek Active Member

Status Points:
    Very sorry to hear the bad news. Equally sorry to hear of AA's short-sightedness in not recognizing how much you, indirectly, actually help their business by helping their customers. I've benefitted greatly from your participation in FT and then TB over the years, and hope things can resume at some point in the future!

MJonTravel, miamigrad and gleff like this.