Is train connection to Munich ZMU still bookable on AA.com?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lili, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago I was able to book SAN-MUN online, where the last leg of the journey was DB train (which accrued miles). Reservation agents kept telling me AA didn't go to Munich, but I was able to book online.

Today I can't figure out any way to do that. Is the program still operating? Do I need to do it on the phone? Will they know what I'm talking about?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I can get it to come up on AA.com.

Use the railway station code for MUC which is ZMU.

Also, select "All Day" for the time departures.

Using this train code share seems much more $$$ than just connecting in MAD or LHR with BA/IB.

3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the quick response.
    Still no luck. ZMU shows up the in drop down box when I type it in as destination, have selected all day, have tried different days, have selected All Carriers. Still get the Check where we fly message.

On the plus side, you got me looking atl BA flights which I had originally ignored because of no eVIP upgrade, but there is one where the only BA flight is LHR-MUN so that is quite doable.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Plus even if you could upgrade the BA portion, Club Europe isn't really all that great.

Not sure why it works on my end, I checked it again, and it showed up.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that it had been several years since ZMU had been available on the U.S. website. I remember that being posted on the other site. I think you have to call to book it.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless I am misunderstanding what you've said, I didn't have too much trouble getting it on AA.com. It told me it wasn't possible at first but when I selected "AA, AE, Oneworld" and re-did the search I was able to get plenty of Deutche Bahn connections. Are you saying it's viewable but not bookable?

[​IMG]

7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boy, that's a terrible train connection - FRA (I'm assuming the airport's Fernbahnhof station) to Mannheim to Stuttgart to Munich.

If one can't book the ICE from FRA Fernbahnhof direct to Munich Hbf, I'd rather forego the miles.

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I was using the (default) AA only option for a round trip, which on flights returns AA codeshares on any carrier. Apparently, on trains it gives the "check where we fly" message, but the "Oneworld" option returns AA codeshare on trains. For a one-way trip, either AA only or Oneworld will work, and both return the same exact itinerary, but for AA only it is almost $3,000 more. So it appears to be a bit glitchy.

Also, it appears to depend on where your origin is. You can book a round trip to ZMU from SAN (or STL) using the Oneworld option, but departing from OGG brings the "check where we fly" message, despite the fact that there is a non-stop from OGG to DFW.

lili likes this.
  9. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David, worked like a charm when I used your dates August 17. Must be seasonal, because this is what I get for December: Appreciate the help.

I do not want to go through Stuttgart! I have gone to Stuttgart with and air+train ticket and thought I had done Munich the same way. Apparently I just bought a train ticket Frankfurt to Munich. Think I will fly, or go somewhere else :)
    [​IMG] zmu.jpg

10. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a side note, the trip I took to Stuttgart was glitchy. The conductor didn't seem to know what to make of my ticket and eventually handed it back. When in Stuttgart I called AA about my upgrade status for the return and they told me I didn't have a return flight in the system. Eventually we decided it looked like I didn't take the train segment, therefore the itin was cancelled. The phone person got me back on the flight but couldn't figure out the train segment so I told her I would just buy a new train ticket. Next day I simply handed the train conductor my original ticket like everything was fine and it was. Upgrade cleared during boarding.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No problem! As gemac and you have noted (and I've experienced playing with it since my first few searches), it seems AA.com has some issues and bugs when it comes to this type of codesharing. Maybe this is something the AA rep on MP will see and look into. You'd think it could be made smoother or easier to figure out how to get these if the service is offered.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your trip!

lili likes this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently the DB website allows the return only through the 9th of December, so AA can't ticket the rail portion of your request. Wait a couple of days and try again.

lili likes this.
  13. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, gemac. So simple, should be obvious but is not. Would have been nice if AA didn't keep insisting they don't fly there!

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    lili likes this.
  15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the AA.de website is so Germanic: clear and straightforward. Thanks for the link. It's giving a rate of $1034 which is the same as the US site without the rail connection. Can I book with a US credit card and Costco gift cards?

16. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked it just by calling the EXP desk. (You'll have to find a knowledgeable agent.) You'll need to make sure you get the DB pickup number. And you can only use machines not agents at the FRA Bahnhof. There's a thread about all that somewhere over on FT.