Is this what's supposed to be happening?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Jeffrey, May 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope this is an acceptable place to ask this question... I noticed something that strikes me as weird and I figured I'd ask experts here for an objective opinion before calling Chase and Amex. In October, I applied for the Sapphire card and received it, and I added my wife as an authorized user so she could get a card, too. I did the same with the Amex Blue Preferred (I hadn't discovered milepoint yet or I'd've picked a better card!) However, looking at her credit report now, I see both the Sapphire and Blue accounts on her report, counting towards her overall credit limit and account age, and I also see the Freedom card, which I may have applied for jointly. All accounts are paid off monthly, of course, so that part at least is good, but the other things are hurting her. Worse, the Sapphire and Freedom are probably counting as two Chase cards on her account, and I expect will make it harder for her to get more (other than these, she has a 7-year-old Slate card that she didn't even realize still existed and the Southwest personal and business cards, applied for at separate times). They don't show up as inquiries, however, just lines of credit. My question is, did I probably screw up when I applied for those cards, before I knew better, or am I interpreting this wrong? I know when I recently added her as an AU to my United card, for the bonus miles, all they needed was her name, and indeed that card doesn't show up on her report. If so, have I messed up any chance of her being able to get the Sapphire card in the future (with the signup bonus, of course)? Finally, is there a way to "fix" this, and is removing those accounts from her credit report even a good idea?

(In case it matters, I'm getting this report from Citi Identity Monitor, and it's labelling it as an Experian report)

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, authorized user status normally gets reported to the credit bureaus. If your wife is an authorized user, it will absolutely not affect her chances of getting the same type of account under her own name and SSN. There's nothing to "fix", as I see no downside of being an authorized user. In fact, your wife's credit utilization ratio may be lowered as a result, which is a good thing.

Jeffrey likes this.
  3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    So when Chase looks at her application for something (she's probably goign to apply for the Ink Bold very soon), they would see her as having 3 Chase cards - Slate, SW Personal, and SW Business - and as being an authorized user on two more, my Freedom and Sapphire, with this last bit being irrelevant in the reconsideration call I'm expecting she'll need? That's great news.. glad I asked!

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure that's been "fixed" for a little while now.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they identify the person solely by name and address? (given that the authorized user request typically doesn't require a SSN)

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a great question! :rolleyes: I think it's a good idea to periodically request and go over all 3 of your major credit reports. I've occasionally come across some bizarre and obviously incorrect entries on mine.

jwsky likes this.
  7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found that the AU request does ask for an SSN at least from Amex... she applied (successfully) for the SPG card and added me as an AU and Amex wanted my SSN too. The card with my name bears a different number than the card with hers, which is also true of our Blue Preferred cards. I suppose the real test will be when I apply for the SPG card myself later this summer.