Is this the largest HH hotel Catagory increase ever?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by newbluesea, May 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doubletree American Canyon near Napa. Hilton took over the former Gaia Napa Valley Hotel and it started operating as Doubletree in early April. Was listed as a Cat 2 and I booked four nights over the Labour Day weekend for at total of 50k points.... great value huh?:D Considering the HGI was listed as a Cat 6.
    Just yesterday I cancelled one night and got my points redeposited.

Lo and behold is now a CAT 6 on Hilton.com as listed today... a whopping jump of 4 cats I had thought cat 2 was really low but...wow

Wonder if I had cancelled my award today if they would have given be back 40k:)

2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great grab while the points were low.

There's a good chance that it was entered as the wrong category in the first place - especially if the HGI is 4 categories higher than the DoubleTree. DoubleTrees may be inconsistent, but a fullservice 4 categories below an HGI is a wide spread.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if " entered as the wrong catagory" is quite it... perhaps they just assigned cat 2 until they actually decided.

I noticed this property back in Dec 2010 "as joining the Hilton Program soon" and it was listed from then until two days ago as cat 2. (believe it operated as cat 2 Doubtree for about 2 months) In fact that cat 2 designation made me quite hesitant in booking the awards when they first became available in March.
    Despite whats been reported elsewhere the rates havent go up much as there are rooms available for $104.00 before and after Labour day