Is this stopover feasible on star alliance? what are my options?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by shadab, Jan 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. shadab

shadab Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I am planning to travel ORD-IST-JED(6 days stopover)-BOM (destination) and 6days later, return BOM-JED-IST-ORD.
    I will prefer if I can directly fly BOM-IST-ORD in return, but I am not sure if it will be legal.
    I think my planned stopover in JED will not be allowed because it is not a star-alliance hub.
    I have 120k miles each in UA and USair. I am hoping to get 2 return biz tickets for the above trip in Turkish airlines. IST is hub for star member Turkish airlines, so most probably I will have to make stopover in IST.
    But, I have to stay in JED for 6 days. How can I do that in given miles?

I need your feedback and suggestion to make this trip happen in real.
    Please let me know if the above mentioned travel plan is feasible with given miles and airlines policy?
    Also, I have USairways credit card, if that matters for anything in award booking. I know it can get me 5000 discount on booking but only when I book on USairways.

I don't want to do following but may be I have to

ORD-IST-(6days stopover)-BOM (destination) and BOM-IST-ORD.
    then buy separate return ticket for IST-JED during 6days stopover in IST.

Thanks

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    the 5k credit card discount is only on US airways.

BOM is a tricky destination to redeem too.. i just did it, but good luck.

Lounge at IST is very nice. One of my favorites.

What i would do is to book a stoppover at IST (remember you need to arrive on TK) and book a separate roundtrip to JED. Just leave tons of time in case of delays.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  3. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct that it is technically not legal to stopover at a city that is not a star alliance hub. However, I have had good luck ticketing stopovers at cities that are not hubs. Its helpful if the city is one like London that SEEMS like it should be a hub city. I don't think they have an automated process for evaluating these routings so you might get lucky with the agent lotto.

If it doesn't work, your option is to stop in the nearest hub and buy a direct ticket yourself. IST would work, CAI would probably be a cheaper ticket.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While US may not permit that stopover UA almost certainly will.

5. shadab

shadab Active Member

Status Points:
    Just like Aramean said, UA is fine with stopover in any city however USair didn't allow stopover in JED, it has to be in star hub. I am gonna stopover in CAI and buy separate return ticket between CAI-JED. CAI-JED is only 2 hr flight, so its ok.

Wandering Aramean likes this.