Is this really an around the world award ?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by German Expat, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was calling United today to see if the following Award booking is possible :

DEN -> FRA
    FRA -> PEK (about 2 weeks later)
    PEK -> DEN (via FRA) (about 4 weeks later)

I thought this would be a regular round trip to PEK with a stop over in Europe. But they did tell me this is an around the world award.

Is this true ? I was under the impression and reading various posts that this is just a regular award and legal with the rules. Anybody happen to know if this routing is possible and I just have to do the call back and ask somebody else rule.
    Also how many miles would it be in C or F ?
    thanks for your help

2. BryanIAH
    Original Member

BryanIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can book this type of award with CO for the North America - North Asia price. If UA won't play ball I would transfer miles to CO and book through OnePass.

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This routing probably will exceed the UA MPM limit, therefore making an RTW booking the only viable option if you want to book this routing...

If space is available and you have your dates set, then do what BryanIAH suggested and transfer your miles to CO...

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The United CSR simply gave you bad informatio, call back.

United allows Atlantic routings between the US and Asia. Even North Asia.

The only restriction is that you cannot go more than 15% over the published 'maximum permitted mileage' for a given origin/destination city pair.

DEN-FRA-PEK is 9892 flown miles.

Now, flying via the Pacific the "MPM" is 7662. 15% over would be 8811 miles.

However the published maximum permitted mileage for an Atlantic routing is 12,759. You're actually allowed to fly 14,672 miles between Denver and Beijing via the Atlantic on a United award!

So:
    * There is no MPM problem
    * Atlantic routings are permitted

A round-the-world award on United would come into play if you were crossing both the Atlantic and the Pacific (route via the Pacific one-way, and the Atlantic the other). But you are not doing this.

Again, just call back and speak to someone else...

Tim O'Brien and milchap like this.
  5. German Expat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your replies. Would I need less miles on CO or is it the same ? I can transfer some back and with the status match I am P Platinum on CO so I assume similar rules apply about date changes or canceling the awards.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    pretty much same same at this point
    differences are in routing rules still, continental lets you combine non-star partners like virgin into a star alliance award, continental doesn't get one-way awards until june..

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than calling UA, or subscribing to KVS, is there another way to find out MPMs?

8. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're sometimes listed in the routing rules if you subscribe to ExpertFlyer.

9. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simply asking on this board generally yields a pretty rapid response from one of us with KVS or EF... I know I always try to post information on specific MPMs when someone asks about it :)

kwai likes this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had a specific MPM in mind I would not hesitate to post the question.

11. German Expat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just a short update on the results on the award. I used Lucky's award service and did get the award for 145k miles per person (like a regular DEN -> PEK direct award). So it is possible for sure. But without Lucky there would have been no way to actually make it work with UA phone agents. He found some space with a lot of work (e.g. converting upgrade to award space)end and I am quite happy with the result.
    My wife and son had to do both trips and this way I save a lot of miles and the flights are pretty good even for the long return via the Atlantic. We planned an overnight at Frankfurt for their 'direct' PEK -> DEN return and they will just take a nights rest at the airport Sheraton and our 5 year old can burn some excess energy :).

Black Cloud likes this.
  12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoa. Had no idea bout the whole UA MPM thing. Seems needlessly confusing.
    Hopefully this is one of these things that goes away with the merger of the two programs.

13. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is "Lucky's award service" ? Is there a website for this???

14. German Expat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lucky is a regular on flyer related forums. He blogs on boardingarea :

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/

Look for 'need award help' and it will show you the link to his web site :

http://www.pointspros.com/

Disclosure : I am in no means affiliated and only know him from the various travel related forums.