Is this normal in Australia?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by whkento, Apr 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to book a room for my wife, myself and two children. The Sydney Hilton said no availability, but if I skipped the children they have rooms. The Adelaide Hilton said the same. I called and asked, and they said they can only accommodate up to three people per room.
    Is this normal in Australia? Or is it only for Hilton properties? They told me I would have to book 2 separate rooms for my family. That would double my purchase price for each night/ stay.

Also, if this is normal, do you have any recommendations regarding where we can stay in Sydney and Adelaide?

Kento

gregm likes this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's quite normal for hotels to have a room occupancy limit, although I've assumed they meant adults. It also depends on the room size, i.e. 2 adults in a King or Queen room, plus 2 more if there is a sofa-bed. I've even seen it specified that no cribs or foldaway beds were permitted.

wrxmom and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply, gregm.

I forgot to specify that I was looking at rooms with two double beds. We've stayed in these types of rooms many times, in many countries. The staff in Adelaide said they have roll-aways, but the absolute legal limit per room was 3. Never heard of that before.

To their credit, the Sydney Hilton staff did offer me a second, adjoining room at half price. They said they could only do this with King Deluxe rooms, though.

While I'd like to stick with Hilton, due to HHonors points and status, I'm gonna look around for less expensive alternatives...

gregm likes this.
  4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Sydney Pullman hotel and there were many families there as I know they have double/ double rooms as well as small rooftop pool - across from Hyde park and next to science museum. They had reasonable prices too. My review from my stay http://philatravelgirl.com/sydney-pullman-hyde-park/

the Sydney Westin where I've also stayed has double/ doubles as do many properties in the city. Didn't post review/ trip report yet.

The 3 ppl per room makes sense in Europe but not in Australia in my experience. There are many properties in the city that won't require two rooms

5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The system says no.

6. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many hotels will have 2 doubles in SYD.
    Try Hyatt, Radisson, Holiday Inns, Accor, Rydges....

I believe the Hilton in MEL has rooms with 2 doubles, so maybe just that particular SYD property?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the OP communicated the ages of the children to the hotel? Or looked at the hotel's website to check for such policies oor definitions of "children" for this purpose?

Some properties may have special rooms designed for families (typically not real suites but they might be labeled as family suites) that have beds to accommodate one or two adults and multiple children, often with smaller beds, a sofabed, or bunk beds for the kids.

8. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both the Adelaide and Sydney Hiltons have rooms with 2 doubles available. They just won't allow more than 3 people per room. :rolleyes:

Yes, I spoke with the staff at Adelaide and Sydney. They asked for the kids' ages, but it didn't really matter.

Regarding properties with rooms that allow 4 people in a room, there are plenty. Just no Hilton. Too bad for them. My money is just as good at other properties.

Thanks for the replies. :)

gregm likes this.
  9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you just book the room for three people with two double beds and don't mention the fourth. Alternatively, you might try for some type of junior or family suite. Getting a second room at half price is quite a good deal as long as the room rate for the first room is reasonable. Have a great journey to lovely Sydney.

whkento likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never visited Australia yet but I experienced this with quite a few properties (vanishing or limited inventory) whenever I try to book for 2 adults and two children (age 4 and 6) in the Asia region.

Sometimes, I will email ahead and ends up with the hotel making "exceptions" to allow 4 in a room instead of the allowed 3.

This usually comes after I highlighted that my two kids are too young to sleep on their own and we do not need additional beddings.

Sometimes I am just too tired to bother as long as I see on the site that their family policy allows 2 children below 12 to stay for free using existing bedding.
    The family policy confuses me as the site returns 0 availability if I enter 2+2.

In summary, I have so far not encountered issues during check-ins, breakfast regardless whether I emailed in advanced, never email in advance, put 1 child, or even 0 child (just 2 adults). YMMV but my kids are really young.

Worse case scenario, I can only imagine the hotel to insist that I pay for a roll-away bed or an additional breakfast charge. As for requesting me to get an additional room, at the ages of 4 and 6, I think I should have a couple more years of "leeway".

At least this is what I hope.

whkento likes this.
  11. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both. :)

I have booked 'serviced apartments' in both Adelaide and Sydney. It's not as high a level of service, but they look like nice, two-bedroom apartments at a lower cost than the Hilton (or similar).

Kento

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately no points, perks and benefits... That's how hotel chains chain us to them...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update ...

We stayed at the apartments and the family really enjoyed them.
    Wifey especially liked having laundry facilities in the apt.
    The kids liked having their own bedroom and the extra space in the living area.

I especially recommend the ADGE in Sydney. Very cool place.

We ended up kinda glad we didn't stay at the Hilton(s).

IDGflygirl and WilliamQ like this.
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed in both serviced apartments (last year) and another hotel chain (IHG) during trips to Australia last year and this year. IHG has a max number of pax in rooms guide as well, but after emailing the hotels, they were ok with having 2 young children + 2 adults in the room, so i am not too surprised HIlton may impose the cap.

Having said that, i have, like whkento, found the serviced apartments (Meriton Apartments in Sydney and Gold Coast and Manor Apartment Hotel in Brisbane) to be much better value than staying in hotels, particular for stays of more than a few days, as other considerations such as a kitchen for simple meal preparations, and laundry facilities in the apartment, to outweigh the benefits of say a room upgrade due to status at a hotel chain.

A scan of TripAdvisor shows Meriton hotels to be highly rated in Brisbane, Sydney amongst other cities, so this would be a chain i would recommend to travellers :)

whkento and WilliamQ like this.