Is this new - Priceline name your own price car rentals taxes & fees much higher than normal rental?

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by iolaire, Apr 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this new - Priceline name your own price car rentals taxes & fees much higher than normal rental?

Just completed a car rental via name your own price, made the mistake of not pre checking prices, and bid $7 for a four day rental, with $48 in taxes & fees. Once my bid was accepted noted that $17/day rental on Priceline where much cheaper because the taxes and fees were only $9! My fault for not comparing the total price to the market rate, but it irks me... I guess this time Priceline will make an extra $15 off me.

Historically I have not noticed this. A low daily bid rate generally ended up beating out the price of a traditional rental.

So does this sound familiar? Is it new?

2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only tried this thing a few times, but I noticed the same last time I tried it. Was very weird to throw in something that was a quarter of the price they had and then end up almost the same after "fees". Didn't see that a couple of years ago when I was looking to do the same.

iolaire likes this.