Is this Mileage Calculation Correct?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by phiota, Mar 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. phiota

phiota Member

Flying from BKK (Bangkok) to LAX (Los Angeles) in September in Economy. Trying to figure out if paying extra approx. $238 is worth in Mileage earned flying with American (operated by 4 Star Japan Airlines $748) vs 3 Star Philipines Airline ($509). Flying American I think I will earn 9818 Miles. Is this correct? Which flight would you take?

From BKK>LAX Flight 8324 Miles (?)
    AAdvantage Credit Card 1494 Miles (Double $ Spent)

Philipines airlines not part of any Global Alliance program and probably will not be flying them again.

2. bzanobia

bzanobia New Member

Well, flying with AA is almost 1/2 more the price, but you gotta ask yourself: Have you already used the miles advantage?
    First thing I guess you should call the AA, because sometimes we don't receive all the miles, because it's based on the price.
    On the other hand, you'll be paying $509 for the flight and 238 just for mileage, it's a lot.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

If you're going to fly on the JAL flight make sure you buy the ticket with an AA flight number. If you buy the JAL flight number you'll only earn 30% credit for the flights. Buying the AA flight number will net you 100% credit.

Also consider the in-flight comfort factor. Not sure the specific date you're flying but RouteHappy says that Asiana is often a much better travel experience for similar prices on at least some of the days I looked. The "Happy & Cheap" button there is one of my favorites.
    aptraveler and gaijin62 like this.