Is this just my chutzpah? Reaction to Platinum gift.

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Steven Schwartz, Sep 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the text of an email I just sent to Starwood. Any comments?

I received a lovely gesture from Starwood - 35% off one redemption for again attaining Platinum status. It is very much appreciated. That said, I would like to make a suggestion. The fact that it is only for Categories 1-6 means that it excludes your best properties and the ones that most Platinum members would most like to take advantage of. And yet I realize there is a major cost differential between most Category 6s and 7s. I would like you to consider a way to use the certificate at a Category 7 as an option but include a nightly additional fee of, say $100 or so. Kind of makes it like Cash and Points, where we know and understand that the higher level hotels would rightly incur additional costs. Perhaps the hotels themselves could choose their own co-pay. My sense is that there is a number that would work work those top-level hotels and would make that certificate even more of a thank you! Appreciate your consideration.

sendaiben, IDGflygirl, mo26 and 3 others like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    spot on, I hope it gets to SPG marketing. (except last sentence is worded strange, a number? & work work)

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a reasonable suggestion. As long as you're not presenting it as a demand that you're "owed" -- which you're clearly not doing -- and as long as you have no particular expectation that they'll execute on it, I can't see why anyone would be offended.

Perhaps a reasonable way to do it would be to allow the certificate to be applied in lieu of X points when booking above category 6, where X is equal to the number of points needed to book a night at a category 5 (or perhaps 6) hotel?

Steven Schwartz likes this.