Is this forum dead?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sunsetair, Mar 22, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. sunsetair

sunsetair Member

Status Points:
    I don't see new entries since March 2016. This forum slowly dies alongside with Skymiles

2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait! You misinterpret what is happening. This forum has evolved in spectacularly parallel fashion to its subject entity, DL SM.

Yes, yes, that means finally this forum HAS NOW BECOME...

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

And this is what it means...

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's very little content being generated here on InsideFlyer outside of a handful of megathreads (which are pretty impossible to keep up on unless you read them all the time). It's not unique to the Delta forum.

I find this site to be nearly useless compared to FlyerTalk.

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion the "redesign" was a disaster, but I don't know for sure that was the entire issue. A lot of forums aren't as popular as they used to be and sometimes only the very biggest continue.

I hope to see a recovery. MP was pretty unique in friendliness and ease of use. IF doesn't seem to there yet but it takes all of us to help it get that way if we want success.

Denny, Counsellor and jonspencer like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was just the last straw, IMO. A solution looking for a problem, while the real problems continued and was made worse by performance problems and other regressions.

So sad.

6. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Leaving aside DL SM for one moment, which is MESC as always, yes, the MilePoint redesign is a disaster in terms of disincentivizing visitors/contributors.

But it is merely following a poorly-conceived technofetish trend.

The internet as a whole has degraded radically since ~2002-05 period (we could quibble over the exact dates, but you know what I mean).

First, every webpage is much STICKIER. There's far more latency/delay as the idiotic tiled pages load, and they often cause crashes/Flash hiccups/ActiveX chokes. There are numerous embedded videos and FB/IG links that slow everything down.

Second, every site is umpteen times more invasive, loading numerous probing scripts and tracking cookies before it displays a page so that Jeff Robbo knows who we are and how much we spend not only on DL, but on UA and AS too, as well as our FB IDs and so on. Thus he knows we are not only FO/GM/PM/DM on DL - and therefore ripe for ripping off for base fares/FCM offers/SM redemption quotes, compared with kayakers and base members who are SMART CONSUMERS and need to be properly incentivized - but he also knows we are UA MP PG/PP/1K/GS and therefore doubly in need of "targeted, segmented and personalized" pricing.... he absolutely gives it to us, or tries to, if only we would actually do business with DL...however, some of us no longer do, so it doesn't matter any more.

In some cases, for example when DL.COM finds the Google cookie that IDs the web user's ID as "bestinclassredtailshark at gmail dot com" it recoils in horror and attempts to log off quickly :) Muahahaha!

Compare the agility of most websites ten years ago (yes even FT) with now, and you will know exactly what I mean. If you weren't using the net at that time, you can't imagine how much better it was....not only DL.COM but X.COM. X.FR Orb etc.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ActiveX? How quaint. Next you'll be talking about Gopher.

It's pretty easy to surf these days without Flash (you should probably just turn it off). There are more iOS browsers than Windows browsers. iOS doesn't support Flash (or ActiveX). Unless you want to kiss goodbye to 50% or more of the market, you'd better make sure your site is accessible to iOS. That means alternatives to Flash (and Adobe is de-emphasizing Flash Player, for good reason, it's an extremely effective virus spreading vector that kills your mobile device's battery, and not much else now that HTML 5 does much of what Flash did and does, plus it's useless for website development for a lot of your potential customers when iOS doesn't support it).

I would recommend Ghostery and AdBlock for getting rid of a lot of invasiveness, which is indeed a big problem as you mention.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Well, believe it or not, I'm a proud member of the luddite sub-50%.... I don't have a mobile device of any type... just a dumb phone, and certainly no iOS. No FB, that's the worst. Only Win and still 8.1...I'd have 7 still if the device hadn't crashed and necessitated install of newer Win. I'm resisting all attempts/coercions to UG to 10. I do use AdBlock but nevertheless, the level of attempted borg ownership of my internet experience is most annoying.

Remember the outcry over Girls Around Me?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/stalker-app-girls-around-me-hunts-women-via-facebook-foursquare/

FB has been a key catalyst for super-invasive nontransparent geolocation and data aggregation efforts but these are only enabled by mobile GPS-equipped devices. My laptop doesn't cooperate in this way (except via the inaccurate proxy of IP location when I'm logged on) and I've never installed FB or created or a profile. I don't want it anywhere near me...

That's how I feel now about the secret data-harvesting plans of the DL app....and the disengagement the OP described in this forum is the predictable result :)

It is...well, you all very well know what it is.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that is the case. People just have drifted off to other places... such as Facebook (or in my case, FT). Forums in general are considered old school, but MP/IF has lost its audience not just because of that.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually there are more post now than in the past

This site will never be a FT, but it will be what you make it.

FT, better have your boots on., and carry a weapon.but we dohave an active Trump Tread...

The Exchange is nothing like the Coupon Connection.

About Again likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Check out Ghostery. It lets you list and block cookie/marketing trackers.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There isn't a single post about the new Hyatt promo, other than the announcement from Hyatt's own staff:

https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/stay-more-play-more-promotion.137332/

No response. No praise. No whine. Zero. Where did all the Hyatt loyalists go? IIRC, Tommy, one of the co-owners here, used to be one of the more prolific posters on the FT Hyatt forum when FT wasn't the competition.

Some co-owners of the site did find time to write about it on their respective blogs:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...rmed-hyatts-new-promotion-up-to-75000-points/

http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.c...-good-one-even-if-we-wish-it-came-out-sooner/

But not here.

Look at the some of the airline forums:

Alaska: one single thread started in 2016 (no replies). Three threads in total updated in 2016.

American: ignoring the "chat" thread, most recent post was Monday. Before that, March 17 (exactly a week ago). So two posts in one week.

Or Hotels:

Hilton: two threads updated in last week.

SPG: two threads updated in last week.

IHG: one thread updated in the entire month of March (3 posts)

Marriott: one thread updated in the entire month of March (3 posts)

But all this is awesome traffic compared to, say, the UK version (insideflyer.co.uk). When I look at the new threads there, I see the most recent post was Friday (last week). Maybe our glass here is half full. :/

Denny likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This site will never be a FT, but it will be what you make it.

KENNECTED likes this.
  14. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    MP needed like 50 times more members for this new website format to be a success

the old design was more personal and easier to navigate

I look in from time to time because I liked some of the posts but I think the site was ruined

15. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP had the feeling of a 'mom and pop' store or a 'Cheers', where you knew a lot of others/everybody knew your name kind of thing. IF is more like the Wal-Mart....impersonal and a bit 'corporate'-like.

Counsellor and jonspencer like this.
  16. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know the forum is not dead, since you posted in it. Is it as "robust" as another travel forum? Perhaps not, but asking questions like this equate to "trolling" and "spam" in my opinion.

17. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know the forum is not dead, since you posted in it. Is it as "robust" as another travel forum? Perhaps not, but asking questions like this equate to "trolling" and "spam" in my opinion.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is there an echo in here?

eponymous_coward and misman like this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    IF more worried about promoting Freddie awards than what is happening in the world around them. They are spinning down the drain fast.

Chimpy and eponymous_coward like this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No kidding. Pretty damning if you ask me that the action seems to be on the BA blogs and not the IF Forums.

How about "useful feedback to the site owners that whatever it is they are doing to promote and encourage use of the forums, it's not working and the natives are restless?"

You can go all on about happy talk about how awesome the people are here and "hey, everything is fine and great, everything is going according to plan as we build our global brand", but at some point it comes off as...

[​IMG]

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And from a business perspective that's perhaps the right decision for them.

It just doesn't motivate me to post much here anymore if I see that the "though leaders" deem it not worthy of their time. Why should I build or prop up their business?

If all the dozens of BA bloggers want to claim they are part of a travel "hacking" community, why aren't they "communing" with us here? You'd think even if there are no direct monetary benefits (can't sell credit cards in their forum posts) they could at least increase the audience of their blog over time (without blatant shilling).

Don't think it's trolling or spamming. Nice way to make a new poster feel welcome, though. And where have you been posting since 2014? ;)

eponymous_coward likes this.
  22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't disagree, but it's very telling as to where everyone "in the know" thinks the play is for getting audience- not here. ;)

Well, there IS that daily GoGo pass...

23. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Congratulations! First, you - we - have made this thread the most intense locus of MP activity. So we can reject the "dead" thesis proposed by the OP.

Second, who are these "thought leaders"? Isn't that US posting here - after all, we are the ones sharing some thoughts. That's leadership. I don't see the BB characters referred to above.

Third, the activities of the bloggers are without doubt responsible for the erosion of FFP benefits via CC... the tragedy of the commons in action, we have already seen it as some "withdraw" from the market (e.g. those who can no longer obtain affiliate threshold sign-ups because restrictions on card churning inaugurated as a respose to... guess what....). So they are all welcome to play in the rapidly-draining pool....

Fourth @eponymous_coward, that pic of the Iradi (Dis)Information Minister in mil uniform... a good look for Jeff Robbo for sure!

And fifth, last, but by no means least... I have something to tell you about DL SM. Do you know, what it is?

Denny likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, meta discussion (like this one) and chit-chat threads are the hallmark of this site. :)

If you have to ask, you're not one of them.

Yup.

Let me guess... that it's the "thought leader" of loyalty programs? ;)

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not sure where to start, but definitely see the point about me blogging about the new Hyatt promo versus discussing it here.

Maybe it's my own style, but I always preferred answering questions to starting new threads or offering commentary. One could argue I have a higher burden as a founder of MP/IF.

It's sad for me to hear folks day that the redesign ruined our site. I'm always one that focused on people and the community as opposed to look and feel, but I understand the concern and think it's a valid one.

We've talked about paring back the forum tree aggressively so that there are targeted places for people to discuss and get answers, but not sure whether that's the right idea or not. What do each of you think?

Sorry for not popping into this thread sooner. I've had some rough days personally of late and my family and I were taking some time to regroup.

Gtitan and eponymous_coward like this.