Is this considered an open jaw?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lichenlt, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    SEA-ORD-MAD-FCO-AMM-ORD, SEA-JFK

Is the last segment SEA-JFK considered open jaw on an OneWorld award?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So are you booking all of those flights as part of a single oneworld explorer award? If so, there are a few issues with your routing that break OW award rules.

More specific to your question, the segment in question is an open jaw, however, you are only allowed one open jaw on a oneworld explorer award.

Your currently routing has two open jaws though - 1. the ORD/SEA-JFK section in quesiton, and 2. your itinerary starts in SEA and ends in JFK. You might also have an issue with your open jaw to SEA since you start your itinerary in SEA and open-jawing back to SEA might be considered a stop over, which is not allowed in your originating city.

lichenlt likes this.
  3. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    You actually have 2 separate trips:
    Trip 1: SEA-ORD-MAD-FCO-AMM-ORD (Round-Trip With an Open Jaw)
    Trip 2: SEA-JFK (One-Way)

sobore, lichenlt and MX like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But not when it's booked as a single oneworld explorer award as listed in the OP. If he's booking tickets or two awards, sure.

lichenlt likes this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I change SEA-JFK to JFK-SEA, it would be just one open jaw, right?

6. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    One more question, is it possible to request a business class seat if it's only available as a standard award?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you'd be doing SEA-ORD-MAD-FCO-AMM-ORD (open jaw) JFK-SEA? Yes that would fix the open jaw issue. You just need to make sure you do not stop in ORD on the way to MAD, since that would create two stops in ORD, which is against the rules also.

lichenlt likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Meaning you see only AAnytime award availability but no Mile SAAver award availability?

lichenlt likes this.
  9. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    exactly

10. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering this is an international award, it will be fine if I stop at the first ORD for less than 24hrs before I go on to MAD, right?

The first segment SEA-ORD has an earlier flight at 4pm in Business class arriving ORD at 9:55pm, but I'm worried I might miss it. There are AAnytime award in business later that day. If I do miss the 4:10pm flight I'm booked on, will they put me on the later flight to ORD? My ORD-MAD flight departs at 4:40pm the next day.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You should be fine as long there are no flights departing from ORD to MAD between the time you land and the time you depart and you are not on the ground in ORD for more than 24 hours. You just need to take the next scheduled flight.

As for IRROPS, AA will do what it can to get you to your destination and make your connection. They certainly won't strand you.

As a point of clarification only, there is no business class between SEA-ORD. AA's domestic 2 cabin flights are First or Economy only. I'm guessing you're booking an OW award in business class, which for domestic flights on AA books into First for 2 class cabins.

I'm just adding that last tidbit because I'm sure someone will come along to do so eventually. Might as well get it all out now. :D

lichenlt likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can always ask. Whether or not AA grants the request is another story entirely. Do you have status on AA? EXPs have expanded award inventory that isn't shown on AA.com or other award space tools.

lichenlt likes this.
  13. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great, so I guess I'll just book the 4pm flight for now and see if I can make that flight.

When you say "as long there are no flights departing from ORD to MAD between the time you land and the time you depart," I assume it means direct flight between ORD and MAD, right? because there are other flights to MAD with a connection in JFK or DFW, etc.

14. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh one more question, is it really strict that my flying distance has to be within range? e.g. 14,001-20,000 flying miles would cost 130,000 AAdvantage miles. What if my flying distance is 20,118 miles? Any chance of getting the award without being charged for 150,000 AA miles?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, the rule applies to the flight you booked. So if you are on ORD-MAD you have to take the first ORD-MAD flight that takes off after your flight lands (within the alloted connection time obviously). If none are available that day, you take the next flight out the following day as long as it's under 24 hours.

I can only recall one time when someone claimed they received a "grace" from AA when requesting flights that exceeded the stated award levels, and I don't really recall whether this ended up actually being ticketed (I think the ticket was on hold and not actually booked).

I suspect the award amounts are hardcoded into AA's system, so no sneaking around it. If you're going to exceed, might as well plan on using that extra mileage and booking addiitonal flights.

16. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great, thank you so much for answering my questions!

DestinationDavid likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any time!

18. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, David, here comes a time that I need your experience and advice again. lol

I have a flight on CX in Oct. from HKG-SFO, I'm fairly sure that I won't be able to make it (my flight is 12:30am), but there's no business class seat available on the flights later that day (2pm) or on the next day, for now. I was wondering if they would put me on the next flight later that day if I miss the flight by, say 10hrs (I get to the airport at 10am)? or even worse I miss the 2pm flight again, would they put me on the next day flight if I get to the airport after the 2pm flight has departed?

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tough call, you might actually get better information on the CX forum since ultimately they'd know more about how the airline deals with what we would traditionally call the "flat tire" exception in the US. I've never personally missed a CX flight (though I will have 5 opportunities in the next three months, wish me luck).

Personally it sounds rather risky to me. No guarantee that those flights will have space to accomodate you, so you gamble and end up stuck in HKG for a few days. Or you end up in Y, and really, who wants that?!

20. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David. I would rather not miss that flight, but there are things beyond my control on that day, which would highly likely make me miss it, but I will keep checking if the seats open up on the later flights.

And good luck on your upcoming trips. Sounds awesome to be on 5 CX flights, one of my favorite airlines. Enjoy.

21. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    David moonlights as an AAdvantage Customer Service agent out of an office at his home.​

lichenlt and DCtrAAveler like this.
  22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The location is great but the pay is awful.

23. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take it up with the union :eek: ....and see what the judge does with it :eek::eek:

DestinationDavid likes this.
  24. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    just a month away from my flight HKG-SFO, still hasn't seen business class seat open up, but there is economy plus seat available the entire time since I started checking. Can I downgrade to economy plus if I have to change the time of flight?