Is this an option?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tomthbomb, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I have about 210k AAdvantage points. Can the points be used for a cruise? Don't fly that much, 6 or 7 times a year but I DO use my AAdvantage credit card for everything I can.
    Come on guys, help out a newbie. Thanks, ttb:)

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I know of. While you can use miles with AA Vacations, and AA has AA Cruises, I've not seen the ability to use miles for cruises. You could use them for hotels and rental cars, though... I've found rental car redemption rates to be pretty decent. Hotels? Not as good as hotel programs, but worthwhile.

210K is a lot of miles - you can get two good, business class round trip tickets to quite a few international destinations with those.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you can't redeem your points directly for a cruise vacation. However, you can redeem your miles on points.com for gift cards.

After looking at the options, you can redeem your miles on these gift cards:
    1. Carnival Cruise - $100 GC for 24,059 miles or $50 GC for 12,295 miles
    2. Celebrity Cruise - $500 GC for 118,117 miles, $250 GC for 59,353 miles, $100 for 24,059 miles, or $50 for 12,295 miles.

So you can redeem your miles for $850 in Celebrity Cruise gift cards while having ~9K AA miles leftover OR $850 in Carnival Cruise while having ~5K AA miles leftover. If you really want to redeem your miles on this then I would save some miles for positioning flights and hotel if you don't have any hotel or UR/MR points.

Personally, I would rather use the miles on international flights in Business with your significant other since you get better value.

MX likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No person should *ever* consider this. You're getting less than half a cent per mile redemption value - far, far, less than you could get any other way. You're better off paying cash for the cruise and earning more miles in the process.

BTW, 210K is a very respectable amount of miles. I think you'd be surprised how much of a vacation you can have with that for two people - especially if you do the flights in coach.

edekba and MX like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree but the OP asked if he can use his points for a cruise and he can. However, he wouldn't get great value out of it...

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were it not borderline against the program terms, I'd have the OP book me a flight with those miles and I'd book his cruise with cash.

Again, I *know* that's against AAdvantage terms and I'm *not* suggesting it. Just saying... I'd cry if I knew a family member redeemed something like this - especially with the cost of cruises being so low in this economy.

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Of course it depends on the cruise... if it weren't a Carnival or Celebrity but something like Queen Mary 2 or the likes then whole new story. ;)

8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't the QM2 just do NYC to England and back? A nice around the world cruise sounds much better. :)

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes...22k for an inside cabin. Guess I'll stick with Carnivals low end stuff and not their height end (Cunard).

But it does sound like a cool trip.

11. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. Will save the miles for air travel. I have 300k+ IHG points so hotels are not a problem.