Is this a valid routing for one-way using Aeroplan miles?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by lichenlt, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO-IAH-EWR-YVR

Trying to experience the UA 788 dreamliner, so it's a one-way single award with connections (<4hrs) at IAH and EWR.

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoping someone has had experience with this type of thing for you ... I have never booked a one way reward so am not sure ...

ETA: I just plugged this into the website and it told me "Your requested itinerary is invalid and cannot be booked on one reward." ... unfortunately it did not tell me why ...granted I just plugged in some dates so not sure what dates you had in mind for the flights ...

So I must defer to others and their knowledge here ...

Rejuvenated and lichenlt like this.
  3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got that same message. Anyone else has experience with this type of routing? Thanks.

4. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I have this right, are you trying for SFO-YVR one way via IAH and EWR? If so, I don't think this would be a valid routing. You could do a SFO-EWR and EWR-YVR that way likely but you'd have to dish out the miles for a long-haul domestic. Also, since UA is in your itinerary the open jaw that you have at origin may not be bookable, so you'd have to do a return SFO-IAH-EWR (turn) EWR-YVR-SFO and just drop the last segment.

lichenlt and ACMM like this.
  5. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember, you can only fly an itinerary on an award that is within the Maximum Permitted Mileage (MMP). This is normally the distance between the cities plus about 5-10%. Aeroplan will let you exceed the MMP by I think 15% if memory serves me, but I stand corrected. But routing via Newark will obviously put you way way way over the MMP. Additionally, I doubt you can route EWR-YVR-SFO as PtsHawg suggests cause it will violate cabotage rules. Your best bet might be to book an open jaw SFO-IAH-EWR (turn) EWR-YVR and then just get yourself home from YVR which should be a short hop.

lichenlt likes this.
  6. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    The website says this way too often. Especially when searching for one ways and/or open jaw itineraries, even if they are perfectly valid. It requires you to therefore phone in and pay the $25 call centre charge, but at least the agents I have dealt with have been generally friendly, efficient and knowledgeable.

ACMM and lichenlt like this.
  7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've given it up. UA is way better in terms of award booking. I ended up using UA miles.

8. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    MPM doesn't apply if you can find the route you want via published routing. I found these published routings on UA for SFO-EWR:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
    Code:
    Fare Routing Search:
    Departing SFO on 09/26/12 for EWR
    Fare basis code MA7GN
    Flying UA
    Routing code 747

V FARE BASIS    BK    FARE  TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
      1  MA7GN          M X  706.00    ----      7/1  -/  -  747
    PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                AUTO PRICE-YES         
    FROM-SFO TO-EWR    CXR-UA    TVL-26SEP12  RULE-60G1 DFR/11
    FARE BASIS-MA7GN            SPECIAL FARE  DIS-N  VENDOR-ATP
    FARE TYPE-SIP      OW-INSTANT PURCHASE
    USD  656.74  0747  E12SEP12 D-INFINITY  FC-MA7GN  FN-
    SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 12SEP12/1938  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-EWR/UA747 /TAR-DRG1    EF-12SEP12 DIS-INDEF

1. SFO-SFO/LAX-HOU/DEN/CHI-WAS/PHL/EWR/CLT/CLE/CHI-EWR
    2. SFO-HOU/DEN/CHI-WAS/PHL/EWR/CLT/CLE/CHI-EWR
    3. SFO-SFO/LAX-HOU/DEN/CHI-EWR
    4. SFO-HOU/DEN/CHI-EWR

So it looks like it may have worked. Not sure about the cabotage thing if UA is a carrier in the itinerary (and could even be for YVR-SFO), but I'll defer to someone who knows more about that.

ACMM likes this.
  9. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cashed in 90K AE miles for a one-way YYZ-AKL business award via SFO on an AC/NZ combo. :) I'm glad they now have this one-way option stuff which wasn't possible in the past.

ACMM likes this.
  10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice trip for decent points! Did not know that could be done! Thanks for the insight Rej! :)

Rejuvenated likes this.
  11. LLfromTO

LLfromTO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the system can manage such a combo.

YULtide likes this.
  12. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    The route from SFO-EWR definitely is valid as a route, it is just not a valid to go via EWR to get to YVR from SFO as suggested in the original post. That is what the MMP would be exceeded for.

Additionally, even if flying the leg from YVR to SFO on UA, it would not circumvent the cabotage rules. It does not matter whether it is booked with AE miles, it is still a UA itinerary.

But I admire the OP's enthusiasm to fly the Dreamliner. I have to take my chance to do the same soon too!:)

ACMM likes this.
  13. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    My original itinerary is bookable using UA miles, which is what I ended up using.